Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 03:48 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Stop sending checks.

Children won't starve. I'm not so sure about their idiot parents.
Children won't starve because you are presuming that some other part of society will step up. You don't mind someone else stepping up. You just don't want to step up yourself. That attitude is akin to "let them eat cake". Because you base your position on the assumption that someone else will take care of the problem. And the reality is that that simply isn't always true. Sometimes there isn't someone else to take care of the problem. Sometimes children do starve. Sometimes children get abandoned. Sometimes children become ill because of malnutrition. Out of the "checks" you send, maybe a few pennies go to feed hungry children. And you're such a humanitarian you begrudge that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 03:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
when republipukes defund programs that provide access to medicine like birth control.

Ever live in an area where the nearest publich health facility is 40-50 miles away, and you can only get there by bus, then have to wait hours just to see a doctor?

No? Well, that's what most poor people have to face. In the end, they feel its not worth it.

Ever paid for birth control without the help of insurance? Tell me what poor person can afford $1000 a month alone for birth control, and still have to pay for rent, transportation, food and other important necessities.
I usually agree with you, Arus, but where do you get that $1000/mo figure for birth control? Did you mean $100? I don't think it's even that much.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/hea...-pill-4228.htm
***Cost about $15–$50 each month

Old 02-27-2012, 04:15 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,536,673 times
Quote:
Why are we taxpayers responsible for even $1 dollar a month to care for YOUR kids?

Why are we the taxpayers responsible for even $.01 to rebuild and feed and aide foreign countries? I rather feed those here at home.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:18 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,536,673 times
Quote:
Show me evidence of one child starving to death in America (other than by parental abuse) because their parents couldn't afford to feed them.

Show me one instance of this country bankruptcy being the result of feeding the poor. I find it laughable that you all have a problem with the poor here in the U.S, but have absolutely no problem with sending your money to aide those in other countries. If I actually had a choice, not one cent of my hard earned money would leave the U.S.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:43 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
It is that simple. I think human beings should be expected to have more self control and brains than animals that can't control their actions.
You can't think (or not) all you want. It would be that simple if human brains and bodies were machines. They aren't, are they? Didn't think so. Your "perfect world" ideas don't fly and you have to accept it and find alternatives. There has never been a time in history and never will be a time in history when reproduction and sex are "simple..don't do it".

PS: We ARE animals.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:48 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,605,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The whole idea of just don't have sex isn't workable. Ever. EVER....NEXT
You may be right, Ceece, but with all due respect, you live in the Bay Area ... hardly an objective vantage point from which to comment on this topic.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:04 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,571 times
I am not a fan of a Welfare state but I think your forget people lose jobs EVERYDAY. People ride the welfare bus for YEARS. I have read articles where people have been on Food Stamps for 15, 20 years.

That was the case with my family....I got WIC for 2 months then I just stopped it altogether. It made me feel like sh*t! I felt like the scum of the earth.

Never again!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:41 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
How is that a deflection? You said your money is paying for these programs, so it's perfectly relevant to point out how LITTLE you are actually contributing - and how this tiny amount (or any amount, really) doesn't give you the right to control anyone's life.

When can we expect conservatives to start practicing what they preach, and actually support life? And for the religious righties, WWJD??
Probably don't have sex unless your willing to take the responsibility of a possible pregnancy. Jesus believed in personal responsibility and taking care of your own. No where does He say, have children and let the village raise them.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:08 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
You may be right, Ceece, but with all due respect, you live in the Bay Area ... hardly an objective vantage point from which to comment on this topic.
Yet your vantage point gives you the right to lay judgement upon humanity? I never realized God quit with the floods, four horsemen and locusts and started monitoring C-D.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:45 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Common sense and personal responsibility dictates that you do NOT have children when you can't afford the most basic necessities, such as food.
Well, not everyone is in poverty and then decides to have children. Sometimes the poverty comes after the children. And you can't quite put them back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies