Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 02:25 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
It's not selfish, it's human. And it happened in the past, too, not just today. The difference is that today we care about what happens to children.
Shouldn't their parents care?

Unless a child is orphaned, there is no responsibility for someone else taking on the responsibility for that child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 02:30 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
Stop crying and trying to dictate how people should live. Thank you.
When I get the bill for the poor decisions they make, I SHOULD have a say. And I get a VERY large bill from our baby-loving government.

I don't raise horses and then have the government send YOU the bill to feed and train and take care of them. I doubt you'd be so snippy if that happened--particularly if your house was auctioned off for crazy levels of taxes.

The thread starter is correct: At the very least, temporary (or permanent) sterilization for anyone male or female who produces a child, then needs help to feed it, clothe it, and insure it medically. Children are not a "resource"--they are the most expensive luxury you can purchase today. It is not right to make others pay for your luxury purchases.

It's more than enough to grant every American child an extremely expensive public education of 12 full years, free to the parents. And those parents should contribute to that cost, even if on a sliding scale. We are taxing people out of their homes to pay for an education system that doesn't have to be nearly so expensive, and it's time to stop the rubber-stamping of ANYTHING the school administration wants.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:32 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It's the same thing.
It's not the same thing.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:33 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Keep supporting the right wingers, especially the religious loons. Contraceptives should never be used and every birth is a blessing in their eyes
Agree...OP are you for contraception and prevention?

Elderly and disabled need assistance, but kids having kids is a problem in our society, however imo there are so many factors, poor rural schools teach "abstinence is best" yet there are record babies born out of wedlock.

We also have the lamestream media with trash shows like "Teen Mom" and dr drew who make it seem cool for 14 year olds to crank out kids.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:39 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Special needs people need government assistance. I believe in taking care of the helpless. The problem I have is with the clueless and 99 weeks of unemployment and food stamps and you name it. From what I can tell, they are the reason that my sons services are cut every time I turn around and he will never have the ability to take care of himself. I hope some of the cradle to grave people read this and feel like cr4p about themselves because they should.
Although, I agree with your whole post I wanted to specifically respond to this part. I agree with you completely about the sentence I highlighted. It annoys me to no end that every other month I'm getting a letter saying this service is being reduced or that service is being cut. I know one healthy man in his 30's who got fired from his job, collected unemployment until it ran out & gets $200 in food stamps per month. I know another couple who are married with two young girls under 5. They receive all kinds of government assistance yet had the nerve to tell me they wanted to have a boy before the other kids got too old so there wouldn't a huge gap.

Based on my income I qualify for WIC (my son is 6 now though) and other programs as well but I didn't apply because I don't need them and my getting them might cause someone else to not get them.

I'm in favor of our country helping those who need it but I've been hoping for government assistance reform for a loooooooooong time.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:44 PM

416 posts, read 637,194 times
to the OP - Aeroguy - sounds like the abstinence mantra all over again. or are you going against church doctrine that GOD requires us to procreate and not use contraception? or perhaps sam sex marriage is the route

whatever happened to the idea that sometimes bad things can happen to good people. big difference between luck and chance

Old 02-28-2012, 05:36 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehalo View Post
to the OP - Aeroguy - sounds like the abstinence mantra all over again. or are you going against church doctrine that GOD requires us to procreate and not use contraception? or perhaps sam sex marriage is the route

whatever happened to the idea that sometimes bad things can happen to good people. big difference between luck and chance
Yes, it is the "abstinence mantra" if that's what it takes for irresponsible people to be responsible. But, to be clear, I don't care how they go about NOT making children they can't afford....as long as they do NOT make children they can't afford.

Bad things do happen to good people. But getting pregnant isn't one of them since its extremely easy for a human to NOT get pregnant.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:41 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
But abstinence doesnt work. You know that. Look at the statistics. They are abyssmal.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:49 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
But abstinence doesnt work. You know that. Look at the statistics. They are abyssmal.
Abstinence works to prevent pregnancy every time it is used. Name another contraceptive that can claim that success record?

Old 02-28-2012, 06:10 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,061,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
In 2011, approximately 8.9 MILLION families received WIC assistance.

WIC is intended to help pregnant, postpartum, breastfeeding women, infants, and children up to age 5.

The following foods are available to assisted families:

Frequently Asked Questions

Common sense and personal responsibility dictates that you do NOT have children when you can't afford the most basic necessities, such as food. We're not talking hi-tech nurseries, the lastest stroller, or name-brand diapers. We're talking FOOD!!

Someone, anyone tell me: How can 8.9 million people (men and women) be so amazingly irresponsible to bring children in the world and then have to immediately get in line for FOOD assistance??!

Abortion is not the answer either, for the obtuse who might spew pro-abortion tripe. We're talking about NOT creating the child in the first place.

This is the height of Personal Irresponsibility in America. And it's disgusting!
Just curious..Do you agree with the statement that going to college makes you a snob? Just wondering....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies