Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 09:43 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times

Advertisements

Katiana, I have no issue with the kids getting 3 free meals daily, even if it meant a neighborhood facility needed to be set up. Adults should have to work in return for any assitance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 09:44 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Care to comment on the OP?
I just did. In the right wing, especially the evangelical loon's minds every birth is a blessing regardless of income. Keep supporting the right, they want to abolish everything that can be done to educate people and give them options to contraceptives. The population will explode and I'm sure we will see even more "handouts" being passed by the R's to pay for it.
If it's a big concern to you, the R's are the last people in the world you want to support.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:44 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Adults should have to work in return for any assitance.
I personally disagree.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:45 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
gizmo980"No, but that simply isn't the case for every WIC recipient... which is a logical and valid point you seem to be missing. I also don't believe in punishing a child for their parents' mistakes, and WIC is a program to feed children - period. This isn't welfare we're discussing, for which I would have a fairly different outlook."

Then replace it with a program called IC, serving only children.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:45 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
I'm saying there's literally no decent way to stop WIC without harming the children.

Hey, if idiots want childrent to die and rot on the streets, that's fine. Won't exactly look good for their "pro life positions", but hey, who isn't hypocritical from time to time?
Resorting to the "want children to die and rot ont he streets" argument means that you have no solution other than to let it happen and to pay for it because you believe its inevitable.

I believe the solution is for the USG to get out of the business of subsidizing personal responsibilty by making hard choices and not throwing welfare dollars at every individual who makes bad decisions. We need bold leadership in this area. We don't have the money, and the absence of personal responsibility is tearing this nation apart from inside out.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:46 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Katiana, I have no issue with the kids getting 3 free meals daily, even if it meant a neighborhood facility needed to be set up. Adults should have to work in return for any assitance.
Work where? And a neighborhood facility is going to cost a lot more money then cheese, eggs and cereal.

Quote:
Resorting to the "want children to die and rot ont he streets" argument means that you have no solution other than to let it happen and to pay for it because you believe its inevitable.

I believe the solution is for the USG to get out of the business of subsidizing personal responsibilty by making hard choices and not throwing welfare dollars at every individual who makes bad decisions. We need bold leadership in this area. We don't have the money, and the absence of personal responsibility is tearing this nation apart from inside out.
So what is the answer? The government cannot force people to be responsible nor can they prevent them from having children so how can we hold them accountable yet not make the children suffer?

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Quote:
Adults should have to work in return for any assitance.
Ideally, but... what jobs? We have an employment crisis right now in which people who are not on public assistance are having trouble finding employment. Is there actually a large pool of jobs out there just waiting to be filled by someone with the kind of skills that the median WIC-recipient currently has, or could obtain quickly?

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
In 2011, approximately 8.9 MILLION families received WIC assistance.

WIC is intended to help pregnant, postpartum, breastfeeding women, infants, and children up to age 5.

The following foods are available to assisted families:

Frequently Asked Questions

Common sense and personal responsibility dictates that you do NOT have children when you can't afford the most basic necessities, such as food. We're not talking hi-tech nurseries, the lastest stroller, or name-brand diapers. We're talking FOOD!!

Someone, anyone tell me: How can 8.9 million people (men and women) be so amazingly irresponsible to bring children in the world and then have to immediately get in line for FOOD assistance??!

Abortion is not the answer either, for the obtuse who might spew pro-abortion tripe. We're talking about NOT creating the child in the first place.

This is the height of Personal Irresponsibility in America. And it's disgusting!

What should they do?

As well documented, when it is subsidized by government, you will get more of it.

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Congrats!

You've finally caught on to what I've been saying from the beginning!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:48 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
"To any person with half a brain cell, that's all WIC is actually about."

Than ONLY children should be provided food w/o working from the funds. News flash: The W stands for WOMEN. They are fed, too. Let them WORK in return for their portion of the money.
Do you have jobs for all of these women, not to mention money for their childcare every day? And what good is a dead mother to these hungry children? Hmmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies