Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:00 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Every winter, the global warming deniers, led by Foxnews go around saying:
"Look at all the snow, that's what I call global warming"

This year.... they are nowhere to be seen.
Where are they hiding?

The winter that wasn't: 2011-12 season ranks among the warmest - Quincy Herald-Whig | Illinois & Missouri News

In hard figures, the average contiguous U.S. temperature in January was 36.3 degrees F, or 5.5 degrees higher than the 1901-2000 long-term average, according to NOAA.
Maybe they are skiiing in Europe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 07:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Global warming? i'm no climatologist but from local personal experience where did our winter go this year?(Northeast) seems to me Europe got it, so i'd say different places have cycles of hot and cold, If in fact things are warming up i guess the Question would be does the world wide usage of 90 million barrels of oil per day have any consequence or impact on the weather?.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:55 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
You guys can be played like banjos.

From June 1, 2011
Formidable Sierra snowpack likely to spell trouble for July 4 rafting in North Tahoe | SierraSun.com
TAHOE CITY, Calif. — The unseasonably cold weather coupled with winter's heavy snowpack could turn summer into a feast or famine for local rafting companies, water officials said.

All that snow and cold is because of global warming. Where are all the deniers?
\

From February 1, 2012
Sierra Snowpack Level Near Record Low « CBS San Francisco
ECHO SUMMIT (CBS/AP) – California’s Sierra Nevada snowpack measured a meager 15 inches in some places, officials announced Wednesday, bearing bad news to a state that depends on snowmelt to meet the water needs of 25 million people and more than a million acres of farmland.
Resorts are suffering as skiers turn up their noses at manmade snow, especially after last year’s prolific powder. And paltry snow means big worries this summer for farmers

No snow and unseasonably warm this winter due to global warming. Where are all the deniers?
\
That is because everything and anything is proof of man-induced global warming; too much snow, not enough sow, too hot, too cold, too many storms, too little storms, to much or too little rain, etc...

If the weather and the temperature for any given day of any month, does not mirror the exact same conditions for the first year of al Gore's life.... then.... duhhh.....duhhh....duhhhhhhh.... it's proof of man-induced global warming.... duh....duhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Old 02-29-2012, 07:58 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Global warming? i'm no climatologist but from local personal experience where did our winter go this year?(Northeast) seems to me Europe got it, so i'd say different places have cycles of hot and cold, If in fact things are warming up i guess the Question would be does the world wide usage of 90 million barrels of oil per day have any consequence or impact on the weather?.
Look to the oceanic cycles (La Nina, El Nino)

Depends on where you are at, but the oceans cause shifts in various regions.

For instance, in Texas, a La Nina (which we are currently in) produces high pressure over the state (stagnant, slow or not moving) which results in mild winters and hot summers. Other areas will vary in weather patterns depending on the flow of the system with some places being colder, warmer, having more or less snow, etc... (if you check the historical records for those areas, you will see similar patterns)

Don't jump to conclusions and try to attach one thing to another. This is the folly of the field right now. They have a hypothesis to which they desperately are trying to prove (due to excessive influence of politics) and they are looking for anything and everything to create a correlation to their base premise.

When you practice science according to that approach, you can make anything seem plausible.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:05 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Science does not work that way.

You must show your hypothesis consistently succeeds in every evaluation. It can not fail, or... if it does, it must be explained to a level that properly establishes the validity of the hypothesis.

Your requirement is contrary to science, as one only need bring up one specific fact that you can not properly account for and your hypothesis falls on its face.
Ok? I was merely using your logic from our previous discussions. Perhaps you would like me to post some quotes?

Quote:
So, the real question is, show us where increased Co2 is the main driver of climate change and mans contributions are the significance in that driver.

Sorry, models will not be allowed. You must verify and validate your position providing an answer to every question and discrepancy we provide that conflicts with your hypothesis.
So models can't be used? Seems pretty convenient wouldn't you think? Seems you like moving those goal posts, especially in light of you using models in the past to show how the data doesn't support AGW. Convenient indeed.

Last edited by dv1033; 02-29-2012 at 10:26 AM..

Old 02-29-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Look to the oceanic cycles (La Nina, El Nino)

Depends on where you are at, but the oceans cause shifts in various regions.

For instance, in Texas, a La Nina (which we are currently in) produces high pressure over the state (stagnant, slow or not moving) which results in mild winters and hot summers. Other areas will vary in weather patterns depending on the flow of the system with some places being colder, warmer, having more or less snow, etc... (if you check the historical records for those areas, you will see similar patterns)

Don't jump to conclusions and try to attach one thing to another. This is the folly of the field right now. They have a hypothesis to which they desperately are trying to prove (due to excessive influence of politics) and they are looking for anything and everything to create a correlation to their base premise.

When you practice science according to that approach, you can make anything seem plausible.
It's funny you've taken an absolute approach and now you doing exactly what you are against
Quote:
Once we've shown how you don't understand the models and the data that you've used as evidence against it, you've thrown away the models. And as we've discussed in a different thread (which I'll copy and paste here later) you've moved the goal posts to discredit theoretical science as you must not believe in and take advantage of the benefits of oil and gas exploration and medicine (to name just a few). And once I've shown the real life applications of what theoretical science offers, I'm engaging in logical fallacies and deflections according to you. Always moving those goal posts.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You mean....you weren't aware of this?

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...s-30s-40s.html

Check out the links. Stories from the 20s, 30s, 40 about the "melting".
And explain to me how this is evidence against global warming.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:28 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Where's all the global warming deniers?

They're out on the front porch, enjoying the warm winter weather, listening to Limbaugh telling them what to think for today.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,065 times
Four inches of global warming here this morning, and still coming down. Go hug Gore for me will ya.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
Four inches of global warming here this morning, and still coming down. Go hug Gore for me will ya.
And why does 4 inches of "global warming" prove anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies