Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 03:58 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
Third trimester abortions are flat out murder. If the baby can survive on its own, you are killing a human.
Mmmm, I wouldn't be too sure about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 04:23 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,981,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
As time goes on, the definitions of what is considered acceptable will continue on this same route.

By the time Obama starts his third term in 2017, this practice will most likely be commonplace in the U.S.
It's the "overton window" or drifting effect. A good reason abortion should be mostly illegal and not allowed as a luxury procedure is that we don't begin drifting down that slippery slope. Another reason is the utmost responsibility should be taken when having sexual relations in regard to not getting pregnant if not desired. If abortion is freely available, there's always an ultimate out and less incentive to be responsible in the first place before things escalate.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:02 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
'Abortion' after birth sounds like a terrible euphemism for infanticide. Whose idea was that in the first place?! I fail to see any reason that could justify such a killing.
And basically we would be faced with the same dilemma as with regular abortion, i.e. where to draw the line in terms of timing.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:43 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
This is what those in the academia world are bantering about. The slippery slope has been crossed. So you have a baby and don't want it just cut it's throat it appears. Of course they will do it the "humane" way I'm sure.

This was published in the journal of medical ethics. What kind of monsters are running this ship???

"Abortion is largely accepted even for reasons that do not have anything to do with the fetus' health. By showing that (1) both fetuses and newborns do not have the same moral status as actual persons, (2) the fact that both are potential persons is morally irrelevant and (3) adoption is not always in the best interest of actual people, the authors argue that what we call ‘after-birth abortion’ (killing a newborn) should be permissible in all the cases where abortion is, including cases where the newborn is not disabled. "

After-birth abortion: why should the baby live? -- Giubilini and Minerva -- Journal of Medical Ethics (http://jme.bmj.com/content/early/2012/02/22/medethics-2011-100411.full#aff - broken link)
Didn't you notice the banter was sponsored by the Catholic Church? They're deciding for you by making a joke of the life and death choices women have to make almost entirely alone most of the time. Isn't that cute? Aren't they adorable?

I have a DNR instruction in my will and adamantly object to ever allow myself to be put in a Catholic hospital. I'd rather jump off a cliff than be Terry Shivo. Do not mistake my faith for what these people are doing.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
'Abortion' after birth sounds like a terrible euphemism for infanticide. Whose idea was that in the first place?! I fail to see any reason that could justify such a killing.
And basically we would be faced with the same dilemma as with regular abortion, i.e. where to draw the line in terms of timing.
The Catholic Church has decided to make trolls of themselves. Haven't you noticed the signature slime tactics of radical 'tough love' maniacs?

Old 03-02-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
It's the "overton window" or drifting effect. A good reason abortion should be mostly illegal and not allowed as a luxury procedure is that we don't begin drifting down that slippery slope. Another reason is the utmost responsibility should be taken when having sexual relations in regard to not getting pregnant if not desired. If abortion is freely available, there's always an ultimate out and less incentive to be responsible in the first place before things escalate.
A gun is a slippery slope for nuclear annihilation, therefore, we ought to abolish guns. Weapons of all kinds, as a matter of fact. Even boards with nails in it. World peace can be solved with a universal mandate of pacifism.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:38 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
And next we will have pre-death killings. Old people not of use to society anymore. My FIL predicted this. He said---'first the babies, then the old people."

This experiment was done ages ago in Rome, wasn't it?
Far be it for me to ridicule this serious, studious thread but:

Aren't all killings Pre-Death?

How would you kill somoene after death?????

Old 03-02-2012, 06:41 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
As time goes on, the definitions of what is considered acceptable will continue on this same route.

By the time Obama starts his third term in 2017, this practice will most likely be commonplace in the U.S.

Under Obama, even Joseph Mengele would be the Surgeon General.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:45 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Most liberals couldn't debate their way on the abortion topic out of a wet paper bag.....

Because bottom line is this.... If the baby has ANY chance of surviving on it's own...IT IS ALIVE.

Now, they will tell you murder is wrong in any other scope of their preference.

They will tell you we should spend "X" amount of money to regulate our food supply....or the safety of our vehicles. But to do that you have to place an explicit value on a human life. If you don't you are NO LONGER ARGUING PRINCIPLE.

So, either treat EVERY life as sacred OR you are playing God with people's lives.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:53 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Mmmm, I wouldn't be too sure about that.
If a baby is born extremely premature around 24-28 weeks, the baby has a 50% chance of survival. The longer the baby stays in the womb, the survival chance increases because the body continues to develop. Premature baby do not have air in their lungs, but it doesn't mean they can't get help either. I'm pretty confident that a baby is a baby regardless their shape, size or form.

Quint Boenker Preemie Survival Foundation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies