Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 03:02 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
While many like to pontificate on how our Founding Fathers did things, most of them feel they must overlook the overriding theme of our Founders.

Liberty.

Many more want freedom for themselves but regulation for others.

Neither of the two major parties promote liberty. They want more and more of our personal lives regulated.

Have you ever stopped to think about how many restrictions and regulations are currently placed on your personal liberty at the local, state and national level?

In the past, I have voted Dem because I didn't care for the proposals of the GOP to continue infringing on my social liberties. The Dems, of course, infringe upon my economic liberties.

What gives? When will this end?

Congressman/Dr./Vet Ron Paul has taught me so much this election cycle.

FREEDOM IS POPULAR!!! Seize it!

The GOP & DNC don't want us to have personal liberty. They can't control us when we have true liberty.

How can we stop this out-of-control train??
PcolaFLGuy !!!!!! ... On The Money !

Indeed it is a preplexing situation to say the least !

It's as if both parties have completely lost their minds and have gone stock raving mad and are operating under an anything goes ... the hail with America and the loyal American Citizens ..... lets do all we can to reduce the nation to nothinghness on the world stage mindset !!!

How utterly pitful it had become ! ... If we don't take this seriously we may well lose this great nation of ours very shortly due to the insanity that is occuring before us via the clueless "Career Politicians" on both sides !!! May God help us before it is to late !

Have A Real Nice Day Mates / Old Sgt. Lamar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 03:10 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
How can we stop this out-of-control train??

!. overturn citizens united

2. campaign finance reform

3. lobbyist reform

The only chance we have is to restrict the influence of corporate funding/patronage.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:43 PM

155 posts, read 134,872 times
Liberty-The state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life.

I was just having this debate with some preservationist on a different thread on property rights. Some are ok with the government telling them what they can and can not do in every aspect of their lives. The government is happy to gain power and power of individual rights as it makes things for them easier.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:12 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
A lot of it is the tooth-fairy economics thing. People see Washington DC as a giant tooth fairy that will give them free health care, education, help them get a job, house, maybe a chevy volt, etc.

See the video posted by Roysoldboy on 'generation gimmee.'
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ion-gimme.html

A college prof asked students for a brief essay on what the American dream meant, and what the federal gov't should be doing to help them realize it. Only 10 percent of the students said 'leave me alone,' i.e. liberty. Eighty pct. said the gov't should tax the rich and use the proceeds to give them stuff they wanted.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:41 PM

Default Giant tooth fairy gobbermint !

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
A lot of it is the tooth-fairy economics thing. People see Washington DC as a giant tooth fairy that will give them free health care, education, help them get a job, house, maybe a chevy volt, etc.

See the video posted by Roysoldboy on 'generation gimmee.'
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ion-gimme.html

A college prof asked students for a brief essay on what the American dream meant, and what the federal gov't should be doing to help them realize it. Only 10 percent of the students said 'leave me alone,' i.e. liberty. Eighty pct. said the gov't should tax the rich and use the proceeds to give them stuff they wanted.
wutitiz !!!!! ..... Precisely !

Bravo Indeed ! .....

Cheers ... Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 02-27-2012, 07:43 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Because Jesus wants Americans to worship him and money instead of liberty.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:43 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
They can't drop that part of things since the Dems are the very opposite of it. I think you are a Libertarian and that makes for great ideas but little that will really work for a government.
How well have the ideas of the current crop of mainstream politicians been working out for us lately?

Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
People are not afraid of liberty. Rather, they are allergic to the personal responsibilty/accountability required to maintain and defend her.
lifelongMOgal !!! ... Yes Indeed !

Therein Lies This Nations Unprecedented Problem !!! Quite!

Cheers ... Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 02-27-2012, 07:55 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
While many like to pontificate on how our Founding Fathers did things, most of them feel they must overlook the overriding theme of our Founders.

Liberty.
Assuming you were a white male, then yes liberty.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Because Jesus wants Americans to worship him and money instead of liberty.
Apparently you missed the part about our inalienable rights being granted by our Creator (not government).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies