Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:20 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
MJ prohibition can be ended directly from the executive office. Simply don't enforce that law federally. The executive branch has that power.

Social security is a different animal, but if Paul managed to get a republican house and senate, its likely they would end it. Can't take that risk.

I agree with you on the affordable care law, I disagree with the mandate specifically. But as far as taxes, I can discuss that with you with dm, since its off topic.

The republicans and democrats have royally screwed things up, and we need a third party or independent to step up. I fear that this will never happen because of the electoral college mess, it essentially locks out any viable third party candidate. I'll keep preaching the gospel of limited government with you, but until 75% of Americans agree with us, its never going to change.

I will agree with you on a lot of your points. The big one being in your 3rd paragraphs, and that is both parties have done nothing to step up! Want a viable 3rd party? Stop voting for the 2 status quo candidates from the Democratic and Republican parties that the lamestream media tends to advocate, and vote for the candidate that truly has our best interests in mind. Or write someone's name in. Maybe I'm simplifying it a bit, but just because we have 2 popular candidates, popularity doesn't necessarily mean it's the right choice.

What I like about Paul is that he can't be bought and paid for like the usual status quo. I love his foreign policy as a non-interventionist, and I'm willing to bet if we closed up shop in a better part of the world, cut out the nation building, the needless wars which IMO is for special interests (oil to name one), then we'd have more funds to deal with the social issues and take care of the problems in our own damned country for once. I'm not saying cut ourselves off completely from the rest of the world, but more like friends will all, allies with none. Only attack if we are attacked.

As for social security; the problem that I have is that I've been forced to pay into it since I've started working as a teenager. If it isn't going to be there for me when I'm older, than give me my money back, and let me put it away for myself. I still don't think he would cut it out, or medicare. Being that he was a Dr. I truly think that he cares about people, unlike some of those currently practicing medicine. A lot of people get into the field for the wrong reasons, money being the first reason. Caring for people is secondary.

As always though, you and I can agree to disagree without all of the BS insults. If I ever get to Florida again someday, I'd love to look you up, and chat it up with you along with a few cold ones and a "J"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 11:52 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I will agree with you on a lot of your points. The big one being in your 3rd paragraphs, and that is both parties have done nothing to step up! Want a viable 3rd party? Stop voting for the 2 status quo candidates from the Democratic and Republican parties that the lamestream media tends to advocate, and vote for the candidate that truly has our best interests in mind. Or write someone's name in. Maybe I'm simplifying it a bit, but just because we have 2 popular candidates, popularity doesn't necessarily mean it's the right choice.

What I like about Paul is that he can't be bought and paid for like the usual status quo. I love his foreign policy as a non-interventionist, and I'm willing to bet if we closed up shop in a better part of the world, cut out the nation building, the needless wars which IMO is for special interests (oil to name one), then we'd have more funds to deal with the social issues and take care of the problems in our own damned country for once. I'm not saying cut ourselves off completely from the rest of the world, but more like friends will all, allies with none. Only attack if we are attacked.

As for social security; the problem that I have is that I've been forced to pay into it since I've started working as a teenager. If it isn't going to be there for me when I'm older, than give me my money back, and let me put it away for myself. I still don't think he would cut it out, or medicare. Being that he was a Dr. I truly think that he cares about people, unlike some of those currently practicing medicine. A lot of people get into the field for the wrong reasons, money being the first reason. Caring for people is secondary.

As always though, you and I can agree to disagree without all of the BS insults. If I ever get to Florida again someday, I'd love to look you up, and chat it up with you along with a few cold ones and a "J"
Social security is am easy fix, simply raise the retirement age on people under the age of 40. Paul and the republicans don't want that though. Medicare is a must for elderly Americans who can't find insurance for them, but that's a much bigger problem to fix.

Paul is a libertarian to a fault. He would still go after anything he seems as "unconstitutional".

Of course that's just my feeling of the man. He doesn't see medicare or ssi as constitutional.

I love his foreign policy positions. As I said though, the people won't have one without the other. With the electoral college process, it effectively ends any chance of a third party or independent candidate getting in the white house. Even if a third party person won a majority of the electoral votes, unless its more the 50% of them, Congress will get to vote for the president, and they won't vote for the third party guy, they'll vote for theirs.

I'm in Tennessee again now, new job, closer to home. So if you're in Nashville, let me know

Old 06-01-2012, 11:59 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Social security is am easy fix, simply raise the retirement age on people under the age of 40. Paul and the republicans don't want that though. Medicare is a must for elderly Americans who can't find insurance for them, but that's a much bigger problem to fix.

Paul is a libertarian to a fault. He would still go after anything he seems as "unconstitutional".

Of course that's just my feeling of the man. He doesn't see medicare or ssi as constitutional.

I love his foreign policy positions. As I said though, the people won't have one without the other. With the electoral college process, it effectively ends any chance of a third party or independent candidate getting in the white house. Even if a third party person won a majority of the electoral votes, unless its more the 50% of them, Congress will get to vote for the president, and they won't vote for the third party guy, they'll vote for theirs.

I'm in Tennessee again now, new job, closer to home. So if you're in Nashville, let me know

I've never been to Nashville. But if I ever get down there, I'll hit you up.

As for Medicare I agree. We should not leave the elderly to hang out to dry. Could we agree on this, that if we reformed our foreign policy, things may fall into place a little better here at home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies