Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 08:36 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Cleveland will come back, maybe not in my lifetime but it will be back. Why? same reason it was great in the 1950's Lake Erie, we are the southern most big city on the Great Lakes. When those living in the sun belt state grow weary of 120 degree days, blazing sun and water shortages they will return. in addition to the benefits of that pool of fresh drinking water, Lake Erie is a huge air condition, cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

For all the critics and jokes you gotta wonder why some many bright money people are investing cash in all the new project, something big is around the corner.

That is why Cleveland seriously needs to develop the lake front! As for the weather, I've lived here all of my life, and I hate winter. If I could be a snow bird now, I'd do it in a heartbeat. However; summer in Ohio is just as good, if not better than anywhere else in the country. With that, while I hate winter (though I'm loving this one, and it's almost over) I still don't know that I could ever leave Ohio completely. At any rate in the 50s and before, something attracted people to the North Coast, from southern climates and other places. We need to get back to finding ways to get people to come back here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 08:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
If the public has access to the lake shore they will come. Just sell off all the rusty industries as scrap and build parks instead of blocking the view with sky high apartments and condos.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If the public has access to the lake shore they will come. Just sell off all the rusty industries as scrap and build parks instead of blocking the view with sky high apartments and condos.

Right now in downtown Cleveland they have an airport Burke Lake Front airport that is rarely used! I think 3 planes a year land there. OK I may be exaggerating a bit, but still. There has been talk for awhile about developing it and turning the shoreway into a residential boulevard, with a mix of parks housing, and the like. The Cleveland Browns even drew up a plan to the city for development of the lake front. I saw a picture in our local paper, and it wasn't too bad. The problem is, the leaders in this region trip all over each other to get anything done. It could have had to do with the corruption that ran rampant here. 2 huge political figures were indicted on charges of corruption, bribery, and racketeering. At any rate, this city seems to be moving slowly in the right direction. I don't know why the leaders from the 50s and before didn't think about the lake front!

Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelita189 View Post
In 1950 there was a mother at home in every home. All policemen were honest. No fireman would ever commit arson. Every priest was celibate. If you had a good job, you could earn 40 cents an hour.

As a waitress, I earned 19 cents an hour, plus tips.
Read that again....19 cents.

Ah, the good old days.
I know you wrote your post tongue-in-cheek, but the above bolded statement got me thinking. What were my grandmothers doing in 1950?

Grandmother #1 was personal secretary to the president of a hospital after her husband died of cancer in the early '40s, leaving her a young widow with a toddler son. She eventually obtained a college degree and retired as head of HR for the same hospital. Her sister was a women's fashion buyer for a midwestern department store. Their mother, my great-grandmother, also lost her husband early on. She worked full-time in a bakery to support her family even after she remarried.

Grandmother #2 worked full-time as a secretary for a military defense contractor until retiring in the late '70s. Her mother was a recruiter for the Women's Army Corps (WAC). I have many photos of my great-grandmother wearing her uniform, always with a huge smile on her face!

Grandmother #3 was a first grade teacher, a position she held for over 40 years without missing a day of work. Her children were all born during summer break.

Grandmother #4 was not working in 1950, but she returned to teaching elementary school just a few years later and retired in the '70s. Her sister was a law secretary.

Now that I think of it, my immediate family is most like the '50s ideal. Those who were alive during the '50s, not so much!

Old 03-01-2012, 11:08 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Valium wasn't available for public use until 1963.

Contemporary women are soooo poorly informed. Plus, they prefer McMansions to crackerboxes.
well Miltown then. Jusy Garland was OD'ing on Seconal in the late 40's....

Re: crackerbox palace...yes. Thats true. Women are harder to please these days, we can be happy for that progress.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:14 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
[quote=no1brownsfan;23208286]That is why Cleveland seriously needs to develop the lake front! As for the weather, I've lived here all of my life, and I hate winter. If I could be a snow bird now, I'd do it in a heartbeat. However; summer in Ohio is just as good, if not better than anywhere else in the country. With that, while I hate winter (though I'm loving this one, and it's almost over) I still don't know that I could ever leave Ohio completely. At any rate in the 50s and before, something attracted people to the North Coast, from southern climates and other places. We need to get back to finding ways to get people to come back here.[/quote]

That is a good idea. I read about Michigan in the 50's, how great the lakefront was....what a shame the economy has tanked and affected the residents there....The lakes up there are beautiful, most people think of relocating to Chicago but if Ohio lakes had a nice walkable city it would be such a nice alternative for transplants unhappy and bored in the mid-south.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:23 AM

72,958 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
I don't. I'm African-American and have absolutely NO reason to want to live in 1950. Today I can live anywhere I want. I can go to any university I want provided I have good grades(I'm taking advantage of that opportunity and should be getting my bachelor's degree this semester). I can eat in any restaurant I want and no one can refuse service to me based on race. I can date or marry whoever I want, since interracial marriages are legal in every state today. Yes, the economy is bad today, but why would I live in 1950, when I can live better today?

Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 AM

[quote=dreamofmonterey;23210825]
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
That is why Cleveland seriously needs to develop the lake front! As for the weather, I've lived here all of my life, and I hate winter. If I could be a snow bird now, I'd do it in a heartbeat. However; summer in Ohio is just as good, if not better than anywhere else in the country. With that, while I hate winter (though I'm loving this one, and it's almost over) I still don't know that I could ever leave Ohio completely. At any rate in the 50s and before, something attracted people to the North Coast, from southern climates and other places. We need to get back to finding ways to get people to come back here.[/quote]

That is a good idea. I read about Michigan in the 50's, how great the lakefront was....what a shame the economy has tanked and affected the residents there....The lakes up there are beautiful, most people think of relocating to Chicago but if Ohio lakes had a nice walkable city it would be such a nice alternative for transplants unhappy and bored in the mid-south.

Actually the walkability in downtown Cleveland isn't bad at all. I used to take the rapid down to Tower City and walk from there to the stadium for Browns games. It wasn't a long walk by any means. Also, Browns stadium, the Rock Hall, and the Science Museum are all right next to each other, and easy to walk to. Lake Erie truly is a beautiful asset, that I think gets taken for granted. We really need to learn how to maximize it's potential.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Understand it Yes,Do I care no. Nope didn't enter my equation. They may have more rights now but look at the decay of society? 1950's everyone was respectful of each other look at the country now...you like what you see? Like I said earlier there are people to be obeyed and those that do the obeying.Obviously we see which fits where.
Respectful? No one treated Blacks with respect back in those days. I'll take today over 2012.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
And now we have riots and sky high crime and over all a ****ty country. Laws like that kept people in their places. Crime was low,families stayed together,the fabric of America was still in place. Believe it or not a lot of old blacks hate this new America as much as I do.
Riots and sky high crime were around during the early part of the 20th century. Whites rioted against Blacks. Prohibition was in full swing and the mafia gangsters took advantage of that. Murder rates were up the roof back then.

Please tell me, as a 25 year old Black man in college, how would the 1950's be good for me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies