Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 05:18 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,290,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Of course you would. You didn't have to deal with race or sex discrimination.
You apparently decided to completely ingnore the part of my post where I said that racial and gender discrimination was one of the bad things about the 50's. How do you know what race or gender I am anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 05:28 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,692,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Seriously? Did you bother to look any of that up? Redistribution of wealth?

The top marginal tax rate in 1950 was 91%. Today it is 35%. Feel free to actually learn what you're talking about before posting again.
Top marginal tax rates are meaningless. Actual taxes paid are a much better measure. And regardless of the top rates, we are redistributing billions of wealth since many people pay no income taxes.

Feel free to actually learn what you're talking about before posting again.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,692,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Really? You think that husbands spanking their wives was "generally effective"? And that it should be used more today?

Actually it's quite erotic. Many people pay extra for spankings.....

Old 04-16-2012, 05:33 PM

24,496 posts, read 33,233,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Top marginal tax rates are meaningless. Actual taxes paid are a much better measure. And regardless of the top rates, we are redistributing billions of wealth since many people pay no income taxes.

Feel free to actually learn what you're talking about before posting again.
Yes, the poster you are replying to possibly doesn't realize that there were numerous deductions allowed back then.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Really? You think that husbands spanking their wives was "generally effective"? And that it should be used more today?
You really should try to understand when other post. I, of course, were referring to children being spanked. I assumed you would have known that, but I guess not. Or maybe you are just joshing me since you added the "rolleyes." You do realize that "Lucy" (TV character) was spanked by "Ricky" (another TV character) only because it was in the script?

Quote:
I never said that a woman's place was "in the home." A woman's place, in the 50s, was always a subservient one - even if she was working and going out to dinner and the movies with her friends.
My mother and her female relatives never said they felt "subservient." It seems you actually believe that stereotype!

Quote:
I was almost 30, had been working 7 years, paying a mortgage and managing the family finances when I applied for a MasterCard in 1974 - and was told that since I had no credit history, my husband would have to sign for me. We were paying for a house and two cars jointly, but I existed only as an appendage of my husband - there were no records at all in my name. And this was 15 years AFTER the 50s had ended.
That only shows that those things were not exclusive to the '50s, just as I said.

Quote:
So, again, I'll take 2012 with it's advances in medicine and technology, and its vastly improved opportunities for women and minorities, over the 50s any day.
As I said, there are good and bad with every decade. Don't act as if there were no positives in the '50s. Back when you could actually by TVs, clothes, etc which were actually made in the U.S., to name just one thing.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:59 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Actually it's quite erotic. Many people pay extra for spankings.....
Yes, let's make light of husbands beating wives, legally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You really should try to understand when other post. I, of course, were referring to children being spanked. I assumed you would have known that, but I guess not. Or maybe you are just joshing me since you added the "rolleyes." You do realize that "Lucy" (TV character) was spanked by "Ricky" (another TV character) only because it was in the script?

Well, of course it was in the script. It was commonplace then. I do have to say, my father never hit my mother (that I know of, anyway).

My mother and her female relatives never said they felt "subservient." It seems you actually believe that stereotype!

They may have felt more subservient than they let on. My mom said she did.

That only shows that those things were not exclusive to the '50s, just as I said.

As I said, there are good and bad with every decade. Don't act as if there were no positives in the '50s. Back when you could actually by TVs, clothes, etc which were actually made in the U.S., to name just one thing.
People spent way more of their income on food and clothing back then, too.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:00 PM

30,876 posts, read 36,858,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The sprawl was well along by the mid 50's. It was a time when former city dwellers began to want a single home, and much of the suburban sprawl we contend with today is just a continuation of the mentality that began then..
You're contradicting yourself here. You say your self that the sprawl was just beginning and the suburbs were much closer in. That means there were more ways to live a car lite or car free lifestyle than we have today.

Quote:
The biggest difference between then and now is, back then, the U.S. population was half of what it is now. There was plenty of room to sprawl, and the earliest suburbs were not very far away from city limits. Many cities have grown and engulfed some of them now, and they are part of an urban, not a suburban community any more...
There is still plenty of room to sprawl, although I don't think sprawling out for the sake of it is a good idea.

Quote:
That lack of choice you mentioned may be true in some cities, but not others..
Who are you kidding? It's true in most cities. And in most of the cities where a "car lite" or car free existence is possible without major inconvenience are very expensive.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 PM

30,876 posts, read 36,858,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In a way there isn't much a difference between 1950 and the 2000s and 2010s, in the aspect you mentioned. I remember when 9/11 happened. I asked my neighbor if it would be possible for me to go hang gliding around where I lived. She said I might get arrested because of the security situations.
Exactly One set of fears and scare tactics is just exchanged for another. It's a big game run by a tiny elite and we're the ones being played.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
People spent way more of their income on food and clothing back then, too.
Which cost much less back then and inflation was low.

And regarding your other comments in blue (which I can't quote because you didn't correctly quote my posts):

My mom was definitely not the type to keep her thoughts to herself. She said what she was thinking.

Also, once my dad said her car was not running right so she couldn't use it to go out that night with neighborhood friends. That didn't stop her; she just drove my dad's truck even though it had a manual transmission! Not being very subservient, is it?

And once again, husbands beating wives was not exclusive to the 1950s.

And when mentioning segregation and racism being a problem in the '50s, there were major changes to erase both as early as 1954, which is when the Supreme Court ruled segregation in public schools was unconstitutional.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:14 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,589,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You apparently decided to completely ingnore the part of my post where I said that racial and gender discrimination was one of the bad things about the 50's. How do you know what race or gender I am anyway?
I've got my suspicions.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies