Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

People weren't ashamed to have government assistance during the depression. Some of those men and women are now called the "greatest generation".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 12:27 PM

593 posts, read 1,411,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
... a biproduct of consumerism taking over from community spirit and strong families, if you will. Lust for money and possessions have become almost the sole reasons that many people exist.

This is more along the lines of what I think is going on. Shame doesn't fix the underlying problem of a lack of community, a worship of everything related to money and making money. We decry the moral degradation of the lower classes but reward the moral degradation of the upper classes. You can't have it both ways.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:48 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
I don't think anyone has been paying LL millions of dollars to do movies in a while now.
Oops. just saw that she is in a couple of upcoming things. We can at least say her career hasn't exactly prospered.
Yet Lindsay Lohan's bad decisions didn't send her to the poorhouse or worse, to an early grave. If that were some ordinary slapper, she would have ended up destitute. My point is that bad decisions are universal, as is bad behaviour, yet many in here seem to be selective on who they want to see "shamed" as deep down, it's not about morals at all to them, just a potential burden to the taxpayer. So either you want to get tough on all moral wrongdoers, which is a hell of a lot of people or not at all. Picking on specific groups isn't the answer either.

Address the root causes of what's wrong with society in general, not just a few of the symptoms.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:02 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
This is more along the lines of what I think is going on. Shame doesn't fix the underlying problem of a lack of community, a worship of everything related to money and making money. We decry the moral degradation of the lower classes but reward the moral degradation of the upper classes. You can't have it both ways.
But righties want it that way...they think only the poor should feel shame

and it IS nice to have a thread where you can actually point out the truth...total lack of shame in upper classes is wrong, too

Guess that was a little "oops" on someone's part

Old 02-28-2012, 01:06 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
It's a huge decline in morals over the past few decades; a biproduct of consumerism taking over from community spirit and strong families, if you will. Lust for money and possessions have become almost the sole reasons that many people exist.
For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil____Timothy 6:10

And you think this is somehow something new?

Old 02-28-2012, 01:12 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil____Timothy 6:10

And you think this is somehow something new?
Oh, Ya!

Righties are positive that nothing bad happened before 1960 when they believe pot was invented, and liberal hippy women destroyed America... They really believe that!!!

Old 02-28-2012, 01:14 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Oh, Ya!

Righties are positive that nothing bad happened before 1960 when they believe pot was invented, and liberal hippy women destroyed America... They really believe that!!!
LOL...your hyperbole is amusing.

Althought i'm pretty sure that most social scientists would look at the 1960's as the beginning of Moral Decay in America if Moral Decay were being quantified.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:15 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Bolding mine.

"people"? What people...which people? All people? ?? Or just a few "select" people????

I bet INDEPENDENT SELF SUFFICIENT AMERICANS don't give a damn what people think of them, I know I don't.
It's totally illogical to say that because of that people have no self respect or respect others...that is just NOT a logical conclusion......
Since the thread topic is about people doing shameful things I thought the group to whom I referred would be very clear. I forgot I had to spell it out very s....l....o...w....l...y...for that group of individuals who actually promote immoral behaviors, who have no conscience and thus have never been intoduced to shame.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:19 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
I agree with the OP.

The bankers who want handouts should be shamed in the public square. Since when did it become acceptable to run a business into the ground and then brazenly demand that the American public cover your rear?

Old 02-28-2012, 01:20 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
LOL...your hyperbole is amusing.

Althought i'm pretty sure that most social scientists would look at the 1960's as the beginning of Moral Decay in America if Moral Decay were being quantified.
Because there was NO alcoholism during Prohibition?

Because NO unmarried people were having sex in the '20s?

Because Charlie Parker, Billie Holiday, et al weren't addicts in the '40s-'50s?

Because there were NO unwed mothers before the '60s?

Because petty crime DID NOT exist prior to the '60s?

Your tunneled rosy-eyed vision is even more amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies