Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,160 times

Advertisements

Si vis pacem, para bellum ...Look it up. all else is Bull !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 10:19 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,900,516 times
lemmings

Old 09-22-2009, 06:36 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Look at most animal species. Most higher species pair off and mate and then claim territory in which to raise their young. They'll defend their food sources and nest area, fight off other potential adverasrial mates as well as fight off other predators if able.
Man does the same thing. You compete for food( by working and keeping a job somebody selse would no doubt want) and to keep your home( by paying bills and taxes) and try to keep your mate( a stable marriage or relationship) and to raise your children.
There's nothing wrong with that, we just have to remember that living in a society makes it easier to live and we in turn give up some things. I don't know if hate is the strongest emotion that leads to conflict, its most likely fear. That and a good helping of lack of understanding.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:34 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
It's true. As long as man has been on this planet, there has been nothing but war, war, and more war. World Peace is not attainable. Everybody will hate everyone else.
I disagree that we cannot have world peace because of hate. There is not some irrational hatred at the root of human conflict. All conflict stems from the very natural fact that humans have the ability to form independent thought.

We reason, from our life experiences, what is best for ourselves rarely depending on pure instinct alone. It is independent thought which leads to a world where there is not one religion, one government, one society. It is independent thought which has allowed us to evolve so quickly and dominate our planet.

Hatred is simply born when it is perceived that other's thoughts are not in our own interests. Competing ideas, governments, and people are nothing more than natural evolution. I know that it may seem disgusting to think that humans obey Darwinian theory, but it can be no other way. Our foolish attempts to avoid natural selection simply slow down the natural process of evolution to our own detriment as a species in the long run.

So I do not feel that war or peace, hatred or love, are superior to one another. Each serves the natural process of evolution. I would actually fear a perpetual world peace as that would mean that we think and act collectively and have lost the only trait that has made us unique or human.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:12 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
It's true. As long as man has been on this planet, there has been nothing but war, war, and more war. World Peace is not attainable. Everybody will hate everyone else.

People hate others for reasons including:
Race
Religion
Land
Wealth
Love
Drugs
and the "unfair hand" that may have been dealt to them and not others

So why do people still try and talk of world peace like it's an attainable goal? IMHO, the only real way to get rid of violence and hatred is to turn all humans into "drones." Even then... you could get that one person.. and it's "The Matrix" in real life...

So why does it still surprise people that the Middle East is such a hostile area?

Great post !

I recall a Jehova Witnes stopping and the woman tried to start the conversation with-----" do you think we will ever have world peace"

I responded I was a Christian and the answer was ---no
I stated we should not expect it either as even the bible states-----" there shall be wars and rumors of wars"

How pompous of us to expect world peace !

Old 09-22-2009, 11:15 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Sorta like the idealisric high schooler who says if they won the lottery they would end world hunger.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:53 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2004 View Post
Si vis pacem, para bellum ...Look it up. all else is Bull !!!
Yes; Peace through superior firepower. It did get us through the Cold War. But all the rest is not bull, IMHO.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:27 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
If that is the case then there is little hope for the long term prospects of the species.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies