Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:42 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,985 times

Advertisements

Winners use circumstance to their advantage.
"Cheat" is a word used by those who failed to take advantage.

But hey, it's not whether you win or lose. It's how you play the game. Remember that if you live a virtuous life and follow the rules you've been given, while you may not prosper in this world, you will surely be rewarded in heaven. Does any of this sound familiar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 05:41 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Where did I speak of madoff?

read your own post again or read my quote of what you wrote, it speaks of madoff and his ponzie scheme.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Bernie Madoff's son committed suicide, if I were his wife I dont know how I could live with that on my conscience. Madoffs wife ran out and bought a triplex just before they arrested him, shows her priorities.

who cares? if the ponzie scheme ran by the goverment is good for the country, then the ponzie scheme ran by an individual is also good for the group of people who invested in it.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:43 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
I thought it was interesting reading, to say the very least.
(a couple of resources)

Are Rich People Unethical? - Yahoo! News

At last, an explanation for Wall Street's disgrace, Bernard Madoff's Ponzi scheme and other high-society crimes and misdemeanors: A new study published in the Proceedings of that National Academy of Sciences found that wealthier people were more apt to behave unethically than those who had less money.
Scientists at the University of California at Berkeley analyzed a person's rank in society (measured by wealth, occupational prestige and education) and found that those who were richer were more likely to cheat, lie and break the law than those who were poorer.

Rich People More Likely To Take Candy From Children: Real Report

People with a few extra bucks just aren't as nice as the rest of us, at least according to a new study.
Rich people are more likely to take candy from children, lie, cheat, endorse unethical behavior at work, and cut off pedestrians while driving, a study published Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences found.
To the contrary.

The recipient class are unethical.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:49 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
read your own post again or read my quote of what you wrote, it speaks of madoff and his ponzie scheme.

I did not write anything about madoff, what I did do is quote the article. In that quote, the author spoke of madoff, not I.

So any questions you may have as to why the author mentions madoff and not the feds, you could email the author.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:52 AM

the article posted by you mentioned madoff, and I said that you mentioned madoff, that must be where the mixup is. madoff was still mentioned and i took it as that.

what I say still stands. if a ponzie scheme ran by the goverment is good, then a ponzie scheme ran by an individual is also good.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:55 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the article posted by you mentioned madoff, and I said that you mentioned madoff, that must be where the mixup is. madoff was still mentioned and i took it as that.

what I say still stands. if a ponzie scheme ran by the goverment is good, then a ponzie scheme ran by an individual is also good.

The government will never tell on themselves ya know.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:57 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
I highly doubt rich people are responsible for doing all the cutting-off on the roads that I've experienced, but what the hey? I think rich people can be unethical. Some rich celebrities and corporations routinely donate money/goods to the good of society while others go out of their way to take what they can get and get away with. It just depends on how the rich people are raised. By the way, a lot of poor people do these things as well.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
The government will never tell on themselves ya know.

of course not. i would love to see another constitutional challenge to the ponzie scheme put in place by the goverment, with a scotus that takes the constitution and bill of rights literally.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:00 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago trib
The driving experiments offered a way to test the hypothesis "naturalistically," he said. Trained observers hid near a downtown Berkeley intersection and noted the makes, model years and conditions of bypassing cars. Then they recorded whether drivers waited their turn.

It turned out that people behind the wheels of the priciest cars were four times as likely as drivers of the least expensive cars to enter the intersection when they didn't have the right
This study is fatally flawed. It assumes that car price is a proxy for wealth, but that is not the case. We all know the guy who has the latest-greatest shiny-mobile but has $50,000 in credit card debt and negative net worth. By the same token we all know the guy who has 7 figure worth and drives a 7-yr-old sedan.

Check out the book from several years ago The Millionaire Next Door. Sure there are people who lie, cheat, & steal their way to the top, but the much more sure path to the top is integrity, which engenders trust, which brings opportunity. Generally you are going to get more and better deals coming your way if you offer value with whatever it is you are trading.

The Millionaire Next Door - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interestingly, TMND specifically looked at the car buying habits of the wealthy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
expensive.
Car shopping habits

According to the authors, a common UAW [non-wealthy person]drives current model car, purchased new, and may have financed it on credit. PAWs [wealthy persons] rarely purchase new model cars and are less likely to own foreign or luxury vehicles. An example from the book details a UAW that spent roughly 60 hours researching, negotiating and purchasing a new car. In the end, while the car was purchased "near dealer cost," in the long run the UAW's time and money could have been more efficiently spent creating wealth rather than collecting possessions notorious for depreciating in value. The authors contrast the story with a PAW who decided that the pride of owning a brand new car wasn't worth the $20,000 price difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies