Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:53 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
All of the people I know change jobs if they can't stand working for an company. They are not slaves.
Selling cosmetics sucks, no matter who you work for.
Its the customers, you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Thumbs down Belk's and Dillard's suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Can't speak for other department store, however, if you work in they're cosmetic department...and you don't make your monthly quota, they dock your pay, and call you in and intimidate you. To me, that should be against the law. Especially in this economy...it's really bad business. They also make they're employees phone they're customers and bother them about coming in to purchase more products???? Awful!!!!

What do you think?

If you google Belk's (Charlotte NC based) dept stores they have horrible customer service in the cosmetic dept. The pre-sell (gift with purchase) They ring up your sale and then give you a "gift card" instead of your item!! They actually penalize a customer for paying cash. Beyond stupid.

I returned the Estee Lauder perfume and wrote a letter to the corporate office.

Oh, and at Kohls they stalk you if you are shopping and last Xmas four times asked if we wanted to open a credit card acct...these stores need a lesson in marketing.

Penalizing their employees is just more bad PR. Those kids and elderly women make minimum wage in a thankless retail job. Its almost like all these stores are competing to be like China-Mart (walmart) now.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:04 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
...and you don't make your monthly quota, they dock your pay, and call you in and intimidate you
And what do you think happens to the area manager? And the store manager? Everybody has budgets to meet. This is retail.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:06 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
[quote=AeroGuyDC;23177167]How do you know "it won't work?" Have you ever held a job where extreme pressure from management was what it took to get results? Have you ever sat in a team meeting and been the one employee in the group who didn't meet required metrics?

lmfao. retail sales jobs are pink collar, you cannot compare that to say an Ops manager at a Fortune 500 Company.

get real. The people should just quit and finish college, retail jobs are about the lowest on the food chain you can get, and if the strores now treat employees poorly on top of it good luck surviving a global economy.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:10 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Selling cosmetics sucks, no matter who you work for.
Its the customers, you know?
I know, my wife roped my into that stupid NuSkin multilevel marketing back in the early 1990's. We did make a few bucks but sorry slapping exfolient on people at parties was not my thang.

Now asked my about putting in a three phase bootster pump and I'm GTG.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:12 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
[quote=dreamofmonterey;23179017]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
How do you know "it won't work?" Have you ever held a job where extreme pressure from management was what it took to get results? Have you ever sat in a team meeting and been the one employee in the group who didn't meet required metrics?

lmfao. retail sales jobs are pink collar, you cannot compare that to say an Ops manager at a Fortune 500 Company.

get real. The people should just quit and finish college, retail jobs are about the lowest on the food chain you can get, and if the strores now treat employees poorly on top of it good luck surviving a global economy.
Exactamundo. Lernt dat in colleege.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:21 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
If you google Belk's (Charlotte NC based) dept stores they have horrible customer service in the cosmetic dept. The pre-sell (gift with purchase) They ring up your sale and then give you a "gift card" instead of your item!! They actually penalize a customer for paying cash. Beyond stupid.

I returned the Estee Lauder perfume and wrote a letter to the corporate office.

Oh, and at Kohls they stalk you if you are shopping and last Xmas four times asked if we wanted to open a credit card acct...these stores need a lesson in marketing.

Penalizing their employees is just more bad PR. Those kids and elderly women make minimum wage in a thankless retail job. Its almost like all these stores are competing to be like China-Mart (walmart) now.
I can't rep you again yet.

I am with you on Belk's and Kohl's is so bad about their silly stalking. Do they really think people enjoy and appreciate that?

Old 02-28-2012, 11:23 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
These are called "commissoned sales positions". Your "salary" is actually a draw on your expected monthly commissions. If you don't sell enough you end up owing money back to the company. This happens in MOST sales jobs of this type.
well, excuse me, mr or mrs, know it all...
I didn't know that...however, I still don't think it is right...especially in this economy, who is going to spend that kind of money on make up?

Old 02-28-2012, 11:24 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Good for them. If you don't do your job well enough, you shouldn't be paid as much.

Imagine, a company paying you to WORK and not just stand there. The nerve...

if customers aren't coming into the store, what in the heck are you supposed to do??????

Old 02-28-2012, 11:25 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Can't speak for other department store, however, if you work in they're cosmetic department...and you don't make your monthly quota, they dock your pay, and call you in and intimidate you. To me, that should be against the law. Especially in this economy...it's really bad business. They also make they're employees phone they're customers and bother them about coming in to purchase more products???? Awful!!!!

What do you think?

My wife works for the HIGHEST END retailer and the only way to make her sales goals is to CALL the people in her "book" and invite them into the store to purchase. These people spend $10K-$75K per visit. She would be broke waiting for some tourist to come walking in the front door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies