Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Can't speak for other department store, however, if you work in they're cosmetic department...and you don't make your monthly quota, they dock your pay, and call you in and intimidate you. To me, that should be against the law. Especially in this economy...it's really bad business. They also make they're employees phone they're customers and bother them about coming in to purchase more products???? Awful!!!!

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 07:58 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Can't speak for other department store, however, if you work in they're cosmetic department...and you don't make your monthly quota, they dock your pay, and call you in and intimidate you. To me, that should be against the law. Especially in this economy...it's really bad business. They also make they're employees phone they're customers and bother them about coming in to purchase more products???? Awful!!!!

What do you think?

These are called "commissoned sales positions". Your "salary" is actually a draw on your expected monthly commissions. If you don't sell enough you end up owing money back to the company. This happens in MOST sales jobs of this type.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:04 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:

What do you think?
I think it's bad business practice for the most part, even for a sales job. The job should be avoided IMO. There are better sales-type positions out there that don't require intimidation to be/have successful employees.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:06 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:

What do you think?
Good for them. If you don't do your job well enough, you shouldn't be paid as much.

Imagine, a company paying you to WORK and not just stand there. The nerve...

Old 02-28-2012, 09:09 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:

What do you think?
They're just trying to SHAME their employees into getting more sales. No, it won't work but Hey if they can make their sales staff feel bad THEY'LL feel good!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:12 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
They're just trying to SHAME their employees into getting more sales. No, it won't work but Hey if they can make their sales staff feel bad THEY'LL feel good!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:14 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
So now it is bad to criticize employees who are not doing well? And we seriously wonder why the economy is in the tanks?

Old 02-28-2012, 09:15 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
These are called "commissoned sales positions". Your "salary" is actually a draw on your expected monthly commissions. If you don't sell enough you end up owing money back to the company. This happens in MOST sales jobs of this type.
I've never heard of a position in which you end up paying the employer if you don't perform well. I didn't realize intimidation was a common business practice, do they teach this at top tier business schools? The school of hard knocks, Tony Soprano?

Old 02-28-2012, 09:16 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
How do you know "it won't work?" Have you ever held a job where extreme pressure from management was what it took to get results? Have you ever sat in a team meeting and been the one employee in the group who didn't meet required metrics?

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-28-2012 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 02-28-2012, 09:20 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times
Sounds like Dillard's got a consulting visit from the same people who got Best Buy to force employees to push those extended warranty plans on everyone upon threat of termination and now they're in danger of going **** up because nobody wants to shop there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies