Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:57 AM

3,085 posts, read 7,252,369 times

Advertisements

First what city are you located?

And the strip malls/downtown closest to you, do they look like this:

http://assets.portfolio.com/images/s...mall-large.jpg

http://www.mybudget360.com/wp-conten...strip-mall.jpg

In Bayonne NJ there are so many Store For Rent stores in the downtown. And the strip malls are empty.

Any hope for America's economy? any signs it will improve and businesses will develop?

What is stymieing the process exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 11:09 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Not here. Central Denver is doing pretty well with a boom in apartment building, lots of businesses opening up (first Ikea and H&M getting ready to open). Couldn't tell you about the far-flung suburbs though - I don't make it out there very often.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:28 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
What I'm seeing more of is strip malls in suburbia built in the 80's or more recently built ones with the high vacancy rates. Those areas with more dense consumer populations seem to be able to attract enough customers to keep the doors open. Of course, those blighted areas of town remain unable to attract businesses just as before. I'm also seeing many large bank buildings built during the boom advertising rental space available as their offices, staff, and revenues have contracted. Same goes for many medical buildings as I believe those choosing elective medical services are scaling back to what is truly necessary.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:46 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,265,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Any hope for America's economy?
As long as republicans keep getting elected, no.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:49 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
First what city are you located?

And the strip malls/downtown closest to you, do they look like this:

http://assets.portfolio.com/images/s...mall-large.jpg

http://www.mybudget360.com/wp-conten...strip-mall.jpg

In Bayonne NJ there are so many Store For Rent stores in the downtown. And the strip malls are empty.

Any hope for America's economy? any signs it will improve and businesses will develop?

What is stymieing the process exactly?
No money for development. Banks are tightly holding back the cash.

Big Box chains and other stores are reluctant to stick around in markets that are tanking.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:52 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
As long as republicans keep getting elected, no.
Thank you for turning a non-political thread into childish bashing of a party. You successfully proved how many Americans would rather 'feel like they are right' and 'beat the other party' than work for any real improvement.

To answer the OP, I am in Pittsburgh, PA and everything is doing great. The suburbs are suffering somewhat, but here in the city itself, everything is really booming.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:55 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Strip malls here in Northern Virginia have been breeding grounds for gang-bangers, car theives, rapists, and shoplifters. You do not want to be caught in the parking lot after dark.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:57 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
I notice MANY strip malls and other storefronts vacant including MANY malls... I suspect that entrepreneurs are not willing to put up the risk of bankruptcy and failure for paying higher taxes and getting very little in return on top of competing with large corporate storefronts... work more, paid less is a recipe for what you are seeing... it started with the recession and it is persisting because of the uncertainty of what the government is doing...

Old 07-22-2011, 11:57 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,265,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Thank you for turning a non-political thread into childish bashing of a party. You successfully proved how many Americans would rather 'feel like they are right' and 'beat the other party' than work for any real improvement.

To answer the OP, my area is doing OK. The suburbs are suffering somewhat, but here in the city everything is really booming.
My answer was non-partisan. There is a political group out there that is intent in the systematic transfer of wealth from the bottom to the top. This is fact and it's in every single piece of leglislation they propose. That party is the republican party.

Answer this.

If you cut social security by raising the retirement age to 69, and you use that savings to cut the capital gains tax to 0% or the inheritance tax to 0%. How is that not a transfer of wealth from the bottom to the top? It's, by definition, taking money from poor seniors and giving the money to wall street hedge fund managers and the walton family.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:09 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Only one strip mall in my town has had frustration in trying to stay close to full. But then it never recovered from the recession from the 1980's. It's at least half empty. Besides, it's ugly, bland looking and poorly located.

In one of the strip malls CiCi's recently closed. So cheap pizza is dead in my town. No sign of anything going in as a replacement.

Downtown has a few vacancies, but not so many that it looks dead. One abandoned store is being turned into new offices and a restaurant that will have a wine celler. It's a wonder how downtown is still surviving fairly well, despite that a super Wal-Mart was recently added to the west side of town to make it two Wal-Marts in town.

The town had been growing strongly until a local manufacturing plant, Mercury Marine, that employed 1000 people several years ago started to slowly wind down and will soon close. The 750,000 sq. ft. plant is for sale, in case someone needs something that big for their company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies