Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:29 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times

Advertisements

[quote=badhornet;23192149]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
>Asking for my phone number or zip code at check out. I've told cashiers "none of your damn business" before.<

So you pick on some 8 buck an hour clerk doing what they are told to do rather than say something like "I dont give that out". Niiice

I just give them the wrong zip or number

867 5309

Never can go wrong with that one!

Everyone's happy!
I always used to give out 90210 as my ZIP code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 10:16 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
None of us are "clueless" to "marketing and sales tactics" brady......we just dislike it. There's a difference.
exactly. Shoppers are educated today...the employees stalking and begging customers to open a charge acct at Kohl's is hilariously stupid...do they really think they will get return shoppers like this? .

Other than groceries, people can get everything they need online....clerks and antiquated sales techniques will no longer work in retail.

I love this site:
www.deadmalls.com

It shows nationwide how many malls are in bankruptcy.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
I thought it would be insightful to know of specific retail store policies or practices that really annoy you. Do those practices keep you from shopping there? Have you sought out a competitor to spite these retail stores that get under your skin?

I'll start:

REI, Inc.....Recreational Equipment Incorporated.....an outdoors equipment and clothing company.

Every single time I go in the store, I am approached by nearly every sale associate on the floor under the guise of "do you need help, sir?" only to follow it up with "Hey, are you an REI Member?" For those who don't know, the "member" program costs $20 and the idea is the more you buy, the more money you get back, eventually surpassing the initial $20 investment.

I get this question NO LESS THAN 5 times when i'm in the store browsing. I'm convinced that these people are paid on the number of memberships they sign up. Not only does it bother me, it has even evoked an uncharacteristic verbal backlash from me on a few occasions.

The truth is I have "two of everything" in the store and usually only stop in to see the latest gadgetry. I don't need to be accosted by an army of sales folks just by merely being present.

I detest this form of retail sales, and has even prodded me to buy more things online in order to avoid these gnats.

Your turn!
Very small crowded aisles and almost everything I purchase on the back of the very top shelf that I can never reach because I am very short.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I dislike

-shopping malls
-foreign CSA's
-being jumped on by a salesperson as soon as I walk in the door
-store greeters
-receipt checkers
-tip jars
-baristas or cashiers who ask me my first name
-"Did you find everything you were looking for today?"
-"Can I ask you a question?"
-"Hey have you heard about our new promotion?"
-"What cell phone service do you use?"
-obnoxious saleswomen who demand to know why I don't want to open a store credit card account in order to save 10%
-five feet long receipts that say on the bottom "you saved $xxx amount" today
-being asked for my driver's license so they can scan it and send me junk mail I don't want
-being asked for my email address or phone number [I always give out fake info]

I long for the days when you could walk into a store without being harassed and were greeted with a simple "good afternoon" and then after you make a purchase, "thank you".

Some of those don't bother me like for example greeters, or receipt checkers. The asking for my email, or address and phone number is annoying. The tip jar drives me nuts! I ignore it. I am a generous tipper when I go to a restaurant with servers, or when I order pizza. But why in the HELL should I tip you for carry out, like at a Subway or another fast food joint???

Old 02-29-2012, 10:50 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Asking for my phone number or zip code at check out. I've told cashiers "none of your damn business" before.
When they ask me "what's your zip code" I mostly respond "it's personal"..lol

Old 02-29-2012, 10:51 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

I tell them to ask my husband and he tells them to ask his wife because he seriously does not know our zip code....LOL

Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

OR:

Female cashier: Whats your zip code?

Customer: Whats your bra size?

Female cashier: Thats personal!

Customer: So is my zip code

Female cashier: I'm telling Obama

Customer: Obama hates whistleblowers

Old 02-29-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
OR:

Female cashier: Whats your zip code?

Customer: Whats your bra size?

Female cashier: Thats personal!

Customer: So is my zip code

Female cashier: I'm telling Obama

Customer: Obama hates whistleblowers
LOL

If they ask me "would you give me your zip code" I respond "No".
Works every time!

Old 02-29-2012, 11:13 AM

I am annoyed by the drug store personnell. This store utilizes discount cards and when I come up to the counter, the employee doesn't even look at me..just asks "do you have a discount card?" (usually in a profoundly bored tone of voice). No hello or good morning; nothing. (and I worked retail in my younger years but never even dreamed of talking to a customer that way!)

When I buy my cigarettes they have to ask for my DOB. I tell them to make one up. Some of them don't understand and give me a blank look...!

Old 02-29-2012, 11:21 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Costco, Sam's Club, and Home Depot has security guards that demand to see your receipt after you paid the cashier. Sometimes I comply but if I'm in a hurry I walk past them. One guard tried to stop me, I told him that the items I had were my property and he has no right to detain or search me.
Quote:
Receipt-checkers annoy me too.

That's the reason I've only been to Walmart twice. Home Depot, Lowes and Target have never asked to see my receipt, maybe different store or different area kind of thing.

Btw, the Target near my house is awesome on Saturday's, lots and lots of hot women. Funny story, I'm a typical cave man mentality, guns, knives, sports stuff I deem overly important to curtains and mini blinds so years ago when the Target first opened near where I live, all I saw was the name and sign with a bullseye so I was thinking it was like Cabelas or Bass Pro, imagine my surprise.

I had worked overtime for a month straight to save up for a new shotgun or pistol, my two boys were still very young at the time maybe 3 and 1 years old so who cares what they needed they weren't old enough to go shooting with me anyway. On the way to the store I had the biggest grin, I even gave my wife 1/2 of my money just for the heck of it, it was like I was 10 years old on Christmas morning opening my first present, an over/under .410/22, you other cavemen know, a new store to hang out in. I had intentions on getting a second job there. When I finally went in and saw what Target really was (another clothing, shoes, crap, that I don't need store) my heart sank like somebody shot my dog and I cursed that place for calling itself Target and not even selling targets.

I do go now, on Saturday's when my ball and chain makes me and the scenery is quite nice, my boys are now 12 and 10 and they like the scenery as well, but with a tear in my eye, even to this day I feel like it was a setup against all men just like me. At least we should of set up a class action lawsuit or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies