Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:13 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepchic View Post
Years ago I worked in Best Buy and our LP guys found many times that someone was walking out without a rebate receipt, or another item that was supposed to come with whatever the person purchased. Another reason they check those receipts is because it's entirely possible that a cashier would be in cahoots with a friend, not ring them up or ring up a totally different sku so that they could basically steal the computer/stereo system/television. It actually happened twice in the six months I worked there.
The concept of an employee in cahoots with the customer is the store's problem. When you go under the assumption I am a thief and want to see my receipt, you have crossed the line. I refuse to show a receipt - period. If I can't leave the store without doing so, I turn around and return the product. Clearly any store that thinks I am a crook is not a store I am willing to patronize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 02:54 AM

144 posts, read 270,717 times
I was in Arby's the other day waiting for my order and the clerk asked me for my name. When the order was ready, she called my name (I was literally standing in front of her) and gave me my order. The funny thing was is that I was the ONLY customer in the entire place at the time. I just laughed it off, but I don't remember Arby's ever doing that until very recently.

As a past movie theater employee, we had to ask each customer if they wanted a large popcorn and/or drink for only a quarter more if a medium was ordered. If we didn't do it and it happened to be a mystery shopper, then we would get a lecture from the manager. If it happened too often, then you got fired. I hated doing it and I could see that many customers didn't like it either. Also we couldn't give away extra popcorn bags or cups because it was considered inventory. That made quite a few people upset too.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:37 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
Wendy's lost me when they began charging extra for pickle, tomato slice, etc. I realize those do cost, but consider this:

Do they discount a burger when you ask to have any ingredient left off - onion, ketchup, lettuce, etc?

Nope.

Bye Dave.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:10 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Wendy's lost me when they began charging extra for pickle, tomato slice, etc. I realize those do cost, but consider this:

Do they discount a burger when you ask to have any ingredient left off - onion, ketchup, lettuce, etc?

Nope.

Bye Dave.
That's a very valid point. I've never looked at it that way, but you're right!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:56 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
HHGregg is one that comes to mind. JESUS...you need a garlic necklace when you go into that store. The damn vampires will suck you dry. Get back...get back I say...your nose is an inch from mine. I hate high pressure sales like that. The complete opposite is Wal-Mart. I head back to the sporting goods department to buy ammo or something. No one is ever back there. Sometimes you have to wait for up to 45 minutes for someone to get their lazy arse back with the keys to unlock the case for you. Great, I'm glad they are paying you to screw-off!
See, now I haven't had ANY problems like that with HHGreg. In fact we just bought 2 beds and a TV there a while back (had to replace the beds due to our crappy old slumlord I mean landlord ) and they didn't bug us at all, waited about 15 or so mins after we got a feel for the place, and then cut us a KILLER deal for all three of them. We got 2 beds & the TV for less than a grand (TV is a 42" LG LCD, and the beds are Sertas queen and twin sizes). I couldn't be more than happy with them.

Now Target is another story; they just suck. The return policy is horrible, the clerks are too pushy, and the customers in this area are super snotty 'cause they are "shopping at the "cool" discount store. (funny enough I see them at Wal-Mart and they loose that attidude)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
How about Gander Mountain guys? MSRP + 20% Are you outta your damn mind? Haha Ed's gun shop up the road has it for half that! He's just a little Mom and Pop gun shop! LOL
Gander Mt has it's uses. You go there to "one stop make up your wishlist"; then go buy it all somewhere else for sometimes less than half of GM's prices.

Case in point:

Gander's price for a Sig Sauer P220 is $899.99
Gander Mountain® > Sig Sauer P220 Handgun - Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto Pistols :

Whitaker's price for the SAME thing is $440.99

(1/2 way down; 3 listing for the Sigs)
Whittaker Guns

Old 05-30-2012, 06:56 PM

6 posts, read 2,814 times
Lightbulb People who complain...

People who complain about people who are simply doing their job annoy me.
I am in sales and I don't push people to buy my product... I build impulse. I back off as soon as someone says "I'm not interested"..... You don't know how many times I have gotten attitude or "no no no back off now" I just want to say "I hope you enjoy paying a lot for the **** product you got now" or even just "what the **** crawled up your ass".... Seriously. Yet because I am just doing my job I smile and tell you to have a great day.

If you don't like the reciept checkers DON'T shop at sams, walmart or home depot!

These retailers make very little to no money on the products they sell... The reason why they ask you every time about memberships and warranties is that IS what they make money on.

As for emails... Just don't give it to them it's not mandatory.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:09 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmalavong View Post
People who complain about people who are simply doing their job annoy me.
I am in sales and I don't push people to buy my product... I build impulse. I back off as soon as someone says "I'm not interested"..... You don't know how many times I have gotten attitude or "no no no back off now" I just want to say "I hope you enjoy paying a lot for the **** product you got now" or even just "what the **** crawled up your ass".... Seriously. Yet because I am just doing my job I smile and tell you to have a great day.

If you don't like the reciept checkers DON'T shop at sams, walmart or home depot!

These retailers make very little to no money on the products they sell... The reason why they ask you every time about memberships and warranties is that IS what they make money on.

As for emails... Just don't give it to them it's not mandatory.
Sam's Club is the only place you listed where you sign a contract allowing them to check your receipt. Bulk-stores and wholesalers where a membership is required, like Sam's Club, Costco, Fry's, etc, usually have these provisions.

Places like Wal-Mart and Home-Depot, where anyone is allowed to shop, you do not have to let them check your bags. Once you pass the Point of Sale, anything you purchased is yours. If they try and stop you, walk past them. If they threaten to call the police, let them do so--it'll be a waste of the officer's time. They have no legal right to stop you unless they have evidence that you actually were shoplifting--and they can't search you without your consent to gather that proof. Cops can't do it either.

Know your rights.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:37 PM

221 posts, read 282,929 times
*Pouncing on me as soon as I walk through the door
*Trying to get me to sign up for the credit card or club membership
*Asking for my phone number or zip code
*Telling me I NEED to buy something when I've selected what I WANT to buy

Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I look on shopping as a chore that need to be done. I would like to see a grocery store that put things like milk, bread, cereal and the deli all in one place called "the stuff you need" section. That would save me a lot of time walking through 25 kinds of chips & dips.

Shopping is annoying.
owe u a rep

Men (some) are so much more practical about shopping.
Some women like it for the distraction, but places like Kohls where salespeople follow u and ask to open a credit card...no thanks.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:02 PM

6 posts, read 2,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Sam's Club is the only place you listed where you sign a contract allowing them to check your receipt. Bulk-stores and wholesalers where a membership is required, like Sam's Club, Costco, Fry's, etc, usually have these provisions.

Places like Wal-Mart and Home-Depot, where anyone is allowed to shop, you do not have to let them check your bags. Once you pass the Point of Sale, anything you purchased is yours. If they try and stop you, walk past them. If they threaten to call the police, let them do so--it'll be a waste of the officer's time. They have no legal right to stop you unless they have evidence that you actually were shoplifting--and they can't search you without your consent to gather that proof. Cops can't do it either.

Know your rights.
And it is the right of the retailer to set their policies.... It is now established and aware they do check the number of items you have with the number of item sold on the reciept...... If you don't like It don't shop there. Most people choose to shop there because it is cheap and cheap prices hate to say it bring in lower class society. Which means more shoplifting. So you can't blame the retailers for taking precautions.

Know your statistics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies