Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 05:40 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,715 times

Advertisements

@ enemy country

Interesting to see that you responded to 8 posts, but somehow failed to respond to mine - Post # 179. Or is your silence an admission???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 05:43 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,530,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I think it's funny that based on this show and other posts in this thread acknowledge that racism exists, several posters take that to mean that only an admission of white-on-black racism exists. No one ever said that.

There is racism in other communities. My ex's family gave her a hard time about dating me (selling her soul to Whitey). I have never heard people pine over skin complexion and hair texture and facial features the way my ex's family did (mixed family). No one is trying to claim that only white people cause racism. People of color perpetuate it against themselves and against whites as well.

Even in the show, there are a few episodes where a Black person has a problem with an interracial couple. But it just seems like the posters in this thread want to criticize the methodology of the show so that they can deny the racism it exposes.

I can't find the video myself cause my Internet connection is too slow but look it up on their YouTube channel. Browse the interracial-dating-themed episodes. You'll find that they don't always have white people perpetuating racism. While you're at it, you can check out the episode where they have a woman beating a man in public and expose a woman's bias towards women as victims and men as perpetuators of abuse. One stranger who wasn't aware at first that it was all enacted even admits to assuming that the woman was beating him cause he had cheated on her--revealing her own bias against men. So no, it's not all about how white men are evil and always oppress minorities. The show does expose the biases held within minorities, sometimes against the majority, and sometimes against themselves as well.

In another episode, where a boyfriend is abusing his girlfriend in public, when the scene is done with modest clothing versus revealing clothing, some of the strangers that assume the woman was asking for it are women. The show does not record with certain results in mind. The show records and lets things unfold naturally. In doing so, in the man-on-woman abuse episode, the show reveals women bening more prejudiced against a woman for dressing in a revealing manner.
Correct. And denying any of this serves only those that want it to continue.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Racism or profiling? There is a difference. I also noticed that the black kid was smaller and younger looking than the white guy so he appeared less threatening and was therefore more likely to be challenged. You also had to look at how many people were in that area at any given time when they encountered either person. If a few people encountered what looked suspicious as opposed to a single person. More people would be more likely to be confront the potential bike thief. You'd have to carefully examine all the unedited footage to really get a clearer picture of any potential differences between the two actors and how that influenced the unsuspecting witnesses.
Worldstarhiphop is not much of a website. I've seen the websites videos that knuckledraggers and proto humans post of urban assualts and violent encounters( and either laughed at or and did nothing to aid the victims) or participated in. Any social commentary they make will have to be heavily weighed against the thug mentality and clownish behavior the website perpetuates.
The show is called "What would you do". Don't know what that website is about nor do I care. The show is on ABC. It amazing to me how someones political leanings directly are linked to how they judge an obvious situation. Conservatives cant see racism no matter how bad it is.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
I think its more the point that whites are tired of getting singled out as the "racists " all the time. Any thread that starts out with racism will automatically have whites defending themselves. Blacks or Hispancs can say anything publically (example Samuel Jackson said he voted for Obama because he was black) What if Kevin Costner said he voted for McCain because he was white. Oh the outrage! The media would be all over that and saying how racist and insensitive. I think white Americans are just tired of the double standard.
Are you? Are you tired of the free passes and slaps on the wrist you get in the court room, in the hiring and promotions process. Are you tired of not being followed at stores? Are you tired of "lets take a chance on him" versus he doesn't have the right EXPERIENCE. If you are tired of all that plus many more things then by all means put a stop to it.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
What I dont understand is why so many people are afraid or just will not admit something is racist. The only way to correct something is to admit it.
See posts 179 and 191. Are you deliberately ignoring my question??

Old 02-29-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I remember when this show aired. The clip actually doesn't show part of the program where the family members of the black actor were waiting on him to finish his work and the police were called on them because they were sleeping in their car in the park. Two black guys sleeping in a vehicle in the park got more 911 calls than the white guy hacking at the bike.
Ahhh Im sure the same would have happened to any white person then again maybe they were stealing the car and fell asleepor maybe if they fell asleep in Harlem...................

Old 02-29-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2;23189396[B
]Yes I do[/b].

But your contention is that it's racist of me to stereotype that black kid. And the fact that it's provably true that he's several times more likely to be a criminal should just be ignored.

Is that about right?
rac·ism/ˈrāˌsizəm/

Noun:
  • The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as...
  • Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Are you? Are you tired of the free passes and slaps on the wrist you get in the court room, in the hiring and promotions process. Are you tired of not being followed at stores? Are you tired of "lets take a chance on him" versus he doesn't have the right EXPERIENCE. If you are tired of all that plus many more things then by all means put a stop to it.
I've never gotten a free pass, nor a slap on the wrist in the court room because I've never been arrested. I was followed around the store by a pickpocket - she was white, working with a saleswoman - who was white. I've been followed around the store by sales people.

I don't believe that there is one company that doesn't realize that anyone they hire is a "chance". Employees do not come with a guarantee. I've been on interviews where I was told I didn't have the experience they were looking for. Maybe that was an excuse because I wasn't a busty, bubbly young girl, or maybe I really didn't have the skill sets to match the position, or the skills I had wouldn't transfer. Did it ever occur to you that you really don't have the experience?? Do you really think that a white person gets a job offer for every interview they go to?

Since you fail to respond to my question, which I have repeated, clearly you hold "racism" towards whites as you claim whites hold towards blacks. Is this a case of "it's OK for me, but not for you"? Nothing like a racist calling another person a racist.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:12 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
One time when I was with my ex, the same security guard that offered me help (blind white person) then proceeded to accuse my ex of stealing (Black woman) and followed her around in the store.

I often say this humorously but on a deeper level it's true and kind of sad. Despite being totally blind, I know if someone is Black the second they get 1) followed in a store, 2) ID'ed for no reason, 3) accused of stealing. But in making fun of the stereotype, there's a deeper truth there. Black customers do get followed/ID'ed/accused of stealing more often. You don't even need shows like this with set up scenarios to see it.

Just spend some time around people of color. I don't mean going for lunch with your Black co-worker either. Actually socialize with and integrate yourself with people of color, and even if you're totally blind, you still won't be able to miss it. I can tell someone's race by the way other people treat them. I don't even need to see their skin color. That's how pervasive racism is and the saddest part of all is that it's the kind of soft racism that doesn't make it into the court and that often rides the wave of another excuse (like "Black crime rates are higher" or "well most Latino people are illegal" etc.) so people can continue to deflect, deflect, deflect. Soft racism is the hardest to overcome precisely because it's so hard to pinpoint and anyone who doesn't want to see it can easily come up with nine million other "excuses" for why they engage in it too.

We're all a little racist--and when I say "all", I don't mean "white people". Everyone is. It's in the air we breathe. But instead of turning a blind eye (no pun intended, lol) we need to examine ourselves. Instead of watching this show and criticizing the methods used, why not take something away from it? Next time you see a Black guy trying to open a CD and you assume he's probably stealing it--catch yourself. Next time a Latina woman walks into your store and you assume she is illegal--catch yourself. Ask yourself what made you think that? How can you overcome the conditioning that has led you to believe that?

I'll admit there are times I have had thoughts like that. It's hard not to because we are all conditioned like that. I've assumed that someone with a "Chicano" accent spoke Spanish, and started speaking to them in Spanish, only to find out they don't speak Spanish at all. I've assumed someone was Black based on the way they spoke and then later found out they were in fact white. Now I consciously try not to make those assumptions. Sometimes I might make that kind of an assumption, but then I catch myself and realize how irrational I'm being. People have done it to me. Chinese speakers and Spanish speakers often assume I don't speak Chinese or Spanish just because I'm white and wouldn't be interested in those languages. They've said insulting or racist things about me in those languages. At first I judged them but then I realized they're no different from me. We all do it but instead of denying it, we should acknowledge it and work to change it.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
rac·ism/ˈrāˌsizəm/

Noun:
  • The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as...
  • Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.
Confirms what I've always said. No one race owns racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies