Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 11:07 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Please feel free to jump into the 21st century. Maybe I'm lucky, bit I don't know any white or black people who would say those things, never mind think them. Maybe my world is bigger than yours???
First of all, you don’t know what people are thinking. You only know what you are thinking. Other people might be thinking racist thoughts but know better than to express them.

Those are comments about “acting white” are comments I’ve heard time and time again, usually directed at the Black people who choose to befriend or date me (a white person)—in the 21st century. Maybe you aren’t, but a lot of people are stuck in the 1950’s.

You’d be surprised how many people reveal their racist attitudes, usually without even realizing it, through their little comments and assumptions, when you add disability to the mix. It takes my being blind (and formerly deaf) to pull the racism out of people, but it’s all there. When I’m in the company of a Black person, by other people’s assumptions, that person must be “working for me”, compared to when I’m in the company of a White person, who must be “my friend” or “my boyfriend”.

Sometimes people feel compelled to inform me of their race. I’ve had many Black people “let me know” that they’re Black, though I can’t say I’ve ever had a White person “let me know” they’re White. Why is it that some Black people inform me of their race whereas I have yet to hear a white person do the same? Obviously race is still real to some people. And not only that. Even in the 21st century, at least in the U.S., “white” is still default and “Black” is “other”, along with “Latino” and “Asian” and other races or ethnicities.

When I dated a Black guy (before we both realized we’re gay, lol) there was a huge debate over whether I knew he was Black and if I cared or not. When I lived with my ex wife at the time (also Black), people constantly tried to “figure us out”—and wanted to know what we had in common. They came up with all kinds of absurd assumptions, very few of which actually considered the possibility that we came into each other’s lives by choice. It was always “oh they must have gone to a school for the deaf and blind together” or “oh she (Black woman) must be her (White woman)’s social worker”. Maybe you can tell those people to jump into the 21st century cause they’re the ones making those stupid assumptions, not me.

It’s so easy to tell ourselves that we are all past that, and some of us are. But the fact is that many people aren’t. I live in the same world as you do, but my disability tips assumptions, that might not necessarily be racist in and of themselves, well over into the territory of blatant racism. This isn’t something I decided. I don’t go around looking for racism. But it’s hard not to notice it when you bump up against it so often. Honestly, I am happy for you if you don’t come across racism as often. It makes me happy to hear that, because it’s refreshing to know that not everyone is stuck in the 1950’s, just ignorant people. But to act like everyone is over it and your world is bigger than mine is just not accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 11:14 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Like I said, maybe I'm just fortunate to know people that don't have that mentality. It also has to do with being selective as to who I associate with. If I was in the company of someone who would even say something (either way) I would look at them like they had a third eye.
Lol. I do find and associate with people who have more evolved attitudes than that. But I do come across people like that all the time—strangers, clerks, bosses, coworkers, etc.—people I don’t necessarily choose to befriend but that I have to associate with to some degree for whatever reason.

I would look at them like they had a third eye if I could.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:00 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
There are several problems with the video
1) the White person never acually takes the bike
2) its one test,a group similar to the group that stoped the white boy could have passed what was going on before a similar group passed the white person

Old 03-01-2012, 01:52 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,528,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
That usually has to do with socioeconomics, not race. The average Black person has far less resources to put towards hiring a decent private attorney (the average Black household has a net worth of about $8k) which means that they usually end up using a public defender. While some public defenders are quite talented, 99% of them are trying to juggle 25+ cases at any given time and can only spend a very limited amount of time on each one. This usually results in a lousy plea deal or poor/very mediocre defense during trial.

On the other hand, the average White person has a lot more resources to put towards hiring a decent private attorney (the average White household has a net worth of around $90-100k). This usually results in their attorney preparing a solid defense and thwarting the state's case, or putting in a number of hours to negotiate a plea deal that's very favorable to the defendant.

With that said, when it comes to the legal system, race is 5% of the equation while how much a defendant can afford and who their attorney is makes up the other 95%. If Black people as a whole had the same resources that Whites do, you wouldn't see such disparities when it comes to sentencing.
Yeah money talks. But still the blacks get it harder.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
And mister gold teeth and co, were doing nothing wrong? Makes me sick how you support this scum.
And Im sick of the right supporting racism

Old 03-01-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I stand out in every room too cause I use a blind cane so I can relate too. But I definitely notice it. When I walk into a room, most people become uncomfortable. I sense it immediately. It’s rare for me to walk into a room where people aren’t made uncomfortable by my blindness. But in spite of that, I have still noticed the racial dynamics that go on. I think different people just notice different things. I don’t think it has to do with how much you stand out personally.
This is off topic but I went to college with a blind man that was part of a pilot program with the blind and computers. When did the technology you are using come about? Its ok if you don't answer I was just curious

Old 03-01-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You have lost any shred of credibility I might have thought you had with this statement. I could post 9 pages of responses to this inane statement - but I would only be giving credence to someone who is entirely consumed with a delusional schema of the the world.
I wonder how I got that schema

Old 03-01-2012, 02:06 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
And Im sick of the right supporting racism

Enemy you can't force people to change their thoughts, or their beliefs. All it breeds is more discontent. There are plenty of us white, and black who can and do rise above the BS. Me personally, I don't believe in Affirmative Action. If I owned a business, and if I had two candidates applying for the same position, one white, one black, I can honestly say I would hire based on their qualifications, and character. Whoever is more qualified, gets the job. It's as simple as that. Again, I'm a rarity, but I don't make decisions based on someone's skin color.

I understand your frustration, but know that there are people out there right and left that don't judge a book by it's cover. You'll probably call me a racist, and others will tell me I have "white guilt" but you would both be wrong.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
As long as people use race as a measure of humans, this garbage will continue.

When the government, and media which includes entertainment and the news, and our education system ceases to use race when quantifying people, it won't matter anymore.

It's long past the time to teach anthropology in every school across the nation.

If schools can mainstream homosexuals and teach that it's "normal" to have same sex love relationships, there's absolutely no reason why schools can't teach that there is no difference between you, me and the next guy because we are all genetically related, and race is a social construct which was devised to create a hierarchy based on skin color and national origin among humans.
I agree with you.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Yes, I understand that, but they also internalize attitudes from the people around them as well. Not every racist person has had a Black person personally do something wrong to them. A lot of people who aren't racist have been wronged by Black people. Each person has a choice in how much they let their experiences define their current attitudes, and the conclusions they draw. They also have to choice to generalize or not generalize.

To give you an example, the ex I posted several anecdotes about in this thread ended up becoming incredibly abusive to me physically and emotionally. I was molested for several years by a Black woman growing up. Do I go around hating all Black women? No, because I choose not to. As a result, I've been able to meet other Black women whose company I enjoy and have been able to have more positive experiences and treat Black women as individuals, and not as one monolithic group of abusers.

Even if someone has had a bad experience at the hands of someone from a certain demographic, that person still has control over whether to generalize about that entire demographic and demonize the demographic rather than hold the individual responsible. They have the choice to view the person that wronged them as an individual and not as a member of their race, gender, or some other group. Someone who is racist because they had bad experiences with one or a few people from a certain race is still responsible for their racist attitudes.

Let's go back to the example with white men being child molesters that another poster said. Statistics show that most child molesters are white men. But most people do not go around suspecting white men of molesting children because of the actions of a few. Most people are able to treat each white man they encounter as an individual. The fact is that this isn't the case with Black people, especially Black men. When a Black person does something, especially a Black man, often the actions of that individual get projected onto the whole race. That right there is racism, folks.
Damn you nailed it again and they cant even accuse you of race card race card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies