Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 08:10 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,921,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Your objection is neither valid nor relevant. A sample of 100 'random' people from the same area is statistically normalized. You can ask any statistician. Your objection basically boils down distrusting sample sizes for any statistic sample. Take up your very valid and relevant objection with such people as Gallup. Afterall, how can they predict how Americans are going to vote when they only ask 1000 people!?!?!?! There are 300 million Americans

The only objection I read in the pages of pages of posts here is the black kid was smaller and looked younger than the white boy. I'm sure the old man who confronted him and removed his tools would be less cavalier if he was a lot bigger. For example, some white couple walked by the white boy and did nothing even they admitted to believing he was stealing the bike. Maybe they just didn't want trouble.

Anyways, there seems to be people who are going to argue with every little facet of the experiment because they don't like the results.
So you normalized all deviations from contributed variables? Really now?

So tell me, how are you accounting for these? By all means, explain to us the statistical method you are speaking of that so easily handles the numerous variables associated with this circumstance.

How do you know that the man who stopped the black kid would not stop the white kid? How did you account for that? What element of your statistical analysis accounted for such variation?

Please, show your work. I am interested to see how you establish such.

Funny thing about science, it always seems to get in the way of people wanting to conclude based on unsupported assumptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,650,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
So you normalized all deviations from contributed variables? Really now?

So tell me, how are you accounting for these? By all means, explain to us the statistical method you are speaking of that so easily handles the numerous variables associated with this circumstance.

How do you know that the man who stopped the black kid would not stop the white kid? How did you account for that? What element of your statistical analysis accounted for such variation?

Please, show your work. I am interested to see how you establish such.
Like I said, take up your very valid and real objections with Gallup. I'm sure they need a genius like yourself to explain to them all those sample sizes matter jack ****

Old 03-02-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Like I said, take up your very valid and real objections with Gallup. I'm sure they need a genius like yourself to explain to them all those sample sizes matter jack ****
How many variables do they have to deal with in a poll for voting?

Candidates are a constant. The choice is few, opinions are relegated to the selection of those candidates.

Now you are trying to say that this is the same as assessing a reaction such as the video describes where there are no defined constants (other than the kids at the bike) and the entire evaluation is comprised of a large number of variables?

You aren't simply establishing which one of four candidates may win the election and by what margin. You are establishing causation of each individuals action which is based on an extremely large number of variables and attempting to conclude a simplistic correlation between them being simply race? Really?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:17 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,202,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Well, when we see the underclass ghetto acting black folk, what are we supposed to think? This behavior sheds poor light on all blacks, so as a result, whites will avoid black people of all class, its human nature/self preservation since there is no way for us to tell the good from the bad. What are we to do?
It is your choice to decide what to think, and your responsibility to deal with the implications of that thinking. There is no "self-preservation" component preventing you from thinking critically and dealing with people on an individual basis. Nothing "forces" you to prejudice. And if one is going to use the antisocial behavior of a certain segment of one population to justify prejudging that entire population, what is stopping him from applying that same principle to all populations, including his own? Bad behavior, after all, isn't exclusive to one group.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:20 AM

25,981 posts, read 24,644,548 times
It's probably a bit unrealistic to assume it didn't have to do with race. At least the two black women were honest enough to say what some here claim played no role. Then again, of course black people are more biased against black people than white people are

Old 03-02-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
It's probably a bit unrealistic to assume it didn't have to do with race. At least the two black women were honest enough to say what some here claim played no role. Then again, of course black people are more biased against black people than white people are

That is the thing, we don't know.

Honestly, we are doing the same as stereotyping a black or a white person because of our personally subjective means. This is the problem with statistics. They are useful, and when applied carefully under very controlled means, they can be "helpful", but done so inappropriately and they are no different than taking the local barber shop gossip as an accurate assessment of a given situation.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
How many variables do they have to deal with in a poll for voting?

Candidates are a constant. The choice is few, opinions are relegated to the selection of those candidates.

Now you are trying to say that this is the same as assessing a reaction such as the video describes where there are no defined constants (other than the kids at the bike) and the entire evaluation is comprised of a large number of variables?

You aren't simply establishing which one of four candidates may win the election and by what margin. You are establishing causation of each individuals action which is based on an extremely large number of variables and attempting to conclude a simplistic correlation between them being simply race? Really?
Lol, you don't get it. Why can gallup use 1000 people to represent 300 million people. How can they say that the remainder 300 million people will vote with the same percentages as those 1000 people

Old 03-02-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Lol, you don't get it. Why can gallup use 1000 people to represent 300 million people. How can they say that the remainder 300 million people will vote with the same percentages as those 1000 people
Because the constraints of the evaluation are limited. Remember, each individual only needs to select from a limited number of options. The less variables you have to deal with and the less significant those variables are in the determination, the more reliable an approximation of such may be established.

The difference is in that the target for evaluation in a polling evaluation is akin to trying to hit the broad side of a barn 2 feet away. Increase the number of variables such as the video deals with in assessing why a person would stop a kid stealing a bike and your difficulty falls in line with trying to hit a pin head at 10 miles away. Far too many factors come into play leaving the ability to properly account for them statistically as being near impossible.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:50 AM

25,981 posts, read 24,644,548 times
Quote:
That is the thing, we don't know.

Honestly, we are doing the same as stereotyping a black or a white person because of our personally subjective means. This is the problem with statistics. They are useful, and when applied carefully under very controlled means, they can be "helpful", but done so inappropriately and they are no different than taking the local barber shop gossip as an accurate assessment of a given situation.
Nah, I am white myself, but I have no problem admitting that by default whites including myself often think worse of blacks than of whites or Asians, many of us are biased. We often behave as if blacks have to somehow prove to us they are decent people whereas we assume whites and Asians simply are. Now, I don't know whether that attitude is justified or not (in places such as Detroit it probably is, statistically speaking), but I guess there is no point in denying it just in order to appear pc and unbiased.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Because the constraints of the evaluation are limited. Remember, each individual only needs to select from a limited number of options. The less variables you have to deal with and the less significant those variables are in the determination, the more reliable an approximation of such may be established.

The difference is in that the target for evaluation in a polling evaluation is akin to trying to hit the broad side of a barn 2 feet away. Increase the number of variables such as the video deals with in assessing why a person would stop a kid stealing a bike and your difficulty falls in line with trying to hit a pin head at 10 miles away. Far too many factors come into play leaving the ability to properly account for them statistically as being near impossible.
The only choices these guys are looking for is if person A calls the cops or not. That's less choices and variables than what gallup deals with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies