Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:31 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
Oh lord....truly pathetic...maybe its because black folks are more prone to criminal acts? Ever thought of that? Maybe its because those people had been robbed by some black criminal and they decided to act...your proof is nothing more than realism...
....and thus.....given history, especially since your in Georgia, empirical data would suggest that you are a racist (if you are white). I mean, if all the racial REALIST want to use statistics to justify their position.....then we got 400 years of statitics on white folks that don't paint a pretty picture. Care to die (argument logic) by that sword you are attempting to live (argument logic) by?

I mean, unless the black folks (the collective) got together and wrote laws to target and rob white people......why would white people take being robbed by a black individual out on other black people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 02:35 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,246,338 times
There is no question that young black males are subject to a negative stereotype consisting of crime, violence, loud, crude language, fathering and abandoning children, dealing drugs and reveling in an all around antisocial lifestyle. How much of this is myth and how much reality is what largely determines the pervasiveness of the stereotype, not racism. If it were an older black woman cutting the bike chain would we see the same result?

Old 02-28-2012, 02:37 PM

840 posts, read 781,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
....and thus.....given history, especially since your in Georgia, empirical data would suggest that you are a racist (if you are white). I mean, if all the racial REALIST want to use statistics to justify their position.....then we got 400 years of statitics on white folks that don't paint a pretty picture. Care to die (argument logic) by that sword you are attempting to live (argument logic) by?

I mean, unless the black folks (the collective) got together and wrote laws to target and rob white people......why would white people take being robbed by a black individual out on other black people?
Lol...oh boy...White folks wrote laws to rob blacks eh? Funny stuff. You Political Correctness nuts are going overboard I tell you.It is funny to watch though.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:39 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times
Probably almost all of us would have the same reaction, although most of us won't admit it.

We need to observe actions, not stereotypes. The actions of the white actor and black actor were identical, and the fact that we react differently to the two shows exactly what the experiment was set out to show. It doesn't matter that the percentage of young black men that would steal a bike is higher than the percentage of young white men who would - it matters how we react when we see it.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
There is no question that young black males are subject to a negative stereotype consisting of crime, violence, loud, crude language, fathering and abandoning children, dealing drugs and reveling in an all around antisocial lifestyle. How much of this is myth and how much reality is what largely determines the pervasiveness of the stereotype, not racism. If it were an older black woman cutting the bike chain would we see the same result?
I understand what you are saying. For me, however, I need to know WHY things are. Its not enough for me to settle with a statistical observation when it comes with no explanation. We live in a cause and effect universe. Actions beget reactions. I mean....what came first....the chicken or the egg? What came first, black dysfunction or white obstruction (oppression of blacks).

Old 02-28-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
Lol...oh boy...White folks wrote laws to rob blacks eh? Funny stuff. You Political Correctness nuts are going overboard I tell you.It is funny to watch though.
Uh....yeah they did. It robbed them of freedom, equality....and a host of other things.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:46 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Well maybe what this video reveals creates the type of situation (disadvantage) where the government has to try and offset with policies to mitigate the damage done to a people by intractable racism. I mean, given the amount of racism that still exists in this nation, plus the legacy impact of past racism.....image how bad off black folks would be if the government did not try to offset things in the least bit.
It's not an equal equation: the benefits of guaranteed career success, versus past discrimination (or current discrimination that is too mild to be brought to court).

Plus, the entire idea is flawed and illogical: you can't fix past injustice by implementing a policy of reverse discrimination. Giving too much to some people NOW does nothing to help those who were discriminated against long ago. It also causes harm to those who had nothing to do with the original "crime," and whose ancestors were also innocent.

Pretty much all our ancestors have been treated badly at one time or other. You can't create "fairness" now by implementing a policy of unfairness for past events.

If you really care about helping African-Americans, stop the idiotic Drug War. That is a CURRENT injustice that serves no purpose other than to destroy African-American society, and create a dependent culture that has no choice but to live off the government dole or pursue crime via the only economy that functions in the ghetto--the drug trade.

And I'm sure Big Pharma will survive just fine, even without the heavy enforcement efforts of a Nazi-style government.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:47 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post

Hidden Camera Shows That Racism is Alive _ Well. - YouTube.FLV - YouTube

Notice how much flack the black kid gets. Thats the way it works in society too.

No "racism" here. I white person is not stupid enough to try to steal a bike in broad daylight in front of a bunch of witnesses.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:49 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Racism will always exist. Anyone who says racism is over is in denial, full of themselves, or are closet racists themselves.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:49 PM

576 posts, read 586,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Thats my point with it. Blacks get fired, suspended, demoted for things their white counter parts get away with or are giving a pass for all the time.
You sure about that?
Want to bring up Imus/Limbaugh/etc and compare how they were treated b/c of their "racist" comments to some comments from black people about, say, Jeremy Lin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies