Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 02:21 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
They should also do that experiment in a predominantly black neighborhood.

I admit that sometimes I am a racist as well. A little while ago I had to go to Lisbon and there were two dark-skinned guys on the sidewalk, and they were getting too close for my taste. I must confess I was more worried than I would have been if they had been white. Why? Because the security cam footage of many a robbery shows dark-skinned Brazilian perpetrators, so I am a bit biased against dark-skinned young men in general these days (when they don't speak I can't tell where they are from).

Oddly, I am not really suspicious of whites even though there are many criminals from Romania here as well. Maybe my mind does not want to become paranoid as I would basically end up being suspicious of all of society
again I'm not talking about situations of survival. That black kid wasn't a threat. He was stealing a bike. The aggressive reactions of the white people in this case versus how white people reacted to the white kid is what I'm getting at. IMO this happens in regular polite society. Street survival is whole nother ball game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 02:22 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Well: the Irish in many ways had it WORSE than even the slave Blacks. My family dealt with a whole lot of crap in Chicago not even 100 years ago and it was much worse 150 years ago. I read someplace if a slave owner had some very dangerous work to be done; he'd hire an Irish crew since his slaves were too expensive to replace. Yes; the Irish's rep was THAT bad back then.

I read and heard about how we were treated in Ireland by the English: it was pretty sick and we look alike. Things change and the Irish today have a good rep cause we manned up and took care of business. The same thing is starting to happen with Black people: more and more are improving themselves.
Let’s say that blacks in America did not like Jamaicans. Hence, let’s suppose there was a hypothetical situation in which blacks in America was were oppressing Jamaicans and giving them the worst jobs and denying them opportunities and the whole oppression thing. How long could that remain successful once the Jamaicans lost their accents, started inter-marrying with African Americans and or changed their names to something that did not sound Jamaican?

Nothing ensures the efficiency of oppression more than race because the key component of discrimination is accurate identification. It’s not that the Irish “manned up”, rather, the Irish “blended in” to “whiteness”. You see, there is a self-fulfilling prophecy aspect of stereotyping and discrimination. If people can identify you first, as part of a supposed inferior group, the will often treat you differently in such a way that creates a reaction that make the stereotype manifest as true. On the other hand, if one does not know from looking at someone that they are a member of a supposed inferior group, then they are not treated as inferior and hence they, not being set up to fail, are allowed to succeed and when it is later learned that they are a part of that supposed inferior group, their performance then breaks down the stereotype. If you cannot identify the out group with accuracy, you cannot oppress them for very long.

That having been said, I do remember that the IRA has been on what would be called a “terror campaign” against their oppressors. Is this how black America should “man up”? Also, the period after slavery where blacks were locked up and arrested to work on "chain" gangs was a very oppressive period as well. Blacks then were not Property, but rather, prisoners that could easily be worked to death and replaced with new black prisoners arrested on false or trumped up charges just to exploit their labor. There was a thread posted on this not too long ago. People have this misconception that black oppression was JUST slavery. There was 100 years of legal oppression that followed that.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:26 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Let’s say that blacks in America did not like Jamaicans. Hence, let’s suppose there was a hypothetical situation in which blacks in America was were oppressing Jamaicans and giving them the worst jobs and denying them opportunities and the whole oppression thing. How long could that remain successful once the Jamaicans lost their accents, started inter-marrying with African Americans and or changed their names to something that did not sound Jamaican?

Nothing ensures the efficiency of oppression more than race because the key component of discrimination is accurate identification. It’s not that the Irish “manned up”, rather, the Irish “blended in” to “whiteness”. You see, there is a self-fulfilling prophecy aspect of stereotyping and discrimination. If people can identify you first, as part of a supposed inferior group, the will often treat you differently in such a way that creates a reaction that make the stereotype manifest as true. On the other hand, if one does not know from looking at someone that they are a member of a supposed inferior group, then they are not treated as inferior and hence they, not being set up to fail, are allowed to succeed and when it is later learned that they are a part of that supposed inferior group, their performance then breaks down the stereotype. If you cannot identify the out group with accuracy, you cannot oppress them for very long.

That having been said, I do remember that the IRA has been on what would be called a “terror campaign” against their oppressors. Is this how black America should “man up”? Also, the period after slavery were blacks were locked up and arrested to work on "chain" gangs was a very oppressive period as well. Blacks then were not Property, but rather, prisoners that could easily be worked to death and replaced with new black prisoners arrested on false or trumped up charges just to exploit their labor. There was a thread posted on this not too long ago. People have this misconception that black oppression was JUST slavery. There was 100 years of legal oppression that followed that.
Dude I swear if you split atoms any harder on this subject you would be sucked into another dimension.....hopefully one where everybody was green.

You have managed to make race a BIGGER issue than it is in your world than it is in the real world. But nothing really new here...there are tens of thousands just like you of all colors. You just have the dubious distinction of being the poserboy on CD for it.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sometimes true. However, I know an air traffic controller in O'hare where they had a female AA controller that was bad but they couldn't fire her.....so they promoted her to management before she killed a couple hundred people with her incompetence.

You guys keep talking about recognizing history but people being blind to the modern environment.....just saying.
I have never known a black person who couldn't be fired. If anything they will be fired much much quicker. How do you know all these so called facts about this ATC. Did the person who promoted her tell you? Also wouldn't it make sense not to put someone in charge and give them even more power to kill? I call BS on this story.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
So we all live in West Virgina now?
Well the poster thinks we all live in Detriot or cabrini green

Old 03-02-2012, 02:40 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Well the poster thinks we all live in Detriot or cabrini green
Touche

1,389 posts, read 1,312,942 times
Not so if that person is an affirmative action hire and this is a gov't institution we're talking about. Colleges are were/are (?) notorious for cases like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
I have never known a black person who couldn't be fired. If anything they will be fired much much quicker. How do you know all these so called facts about this ATC. Did the person who promoted her tell you? Also wouldn't it make sense not to put someone in charge and give them even more power to kill? I call BS on this story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Racism will go away more quickly if we stop using terms like "the first black president", "the first black female to win an Oscar", etc.
Yeah that will do it if that makes you mad the problem may be with you.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

That having been said, I do remember that the IRA has been on what would be called a “terror campaign” against their oppressors. Is this how black America should “man up”? Also, the period after slavery where blacks were locked up and arrested to work on "chain" gangs was a very oppressive period as well. Blacks then were not Property, but rather, prisoners that could easily be worked to death and replaced with new black prisoners arrested on false or trumped up charges just to exploit their labor. There was a thread posted on this not too long ago. People have this misconception that black oppression was JUST slavery. There was 100 years of legal oppression that followed that.
Douglas A. Blackmon | Pulitzer Prize | Author

Old 03-02-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Not so if that person is an affirmative action hire and this is a gov't institution we're talking about. Colleges are were/are (?) notorious for cases like that.
Total BS and you know it. Some rush baby would have reported this so fast. No one wants someone incompetent in a position like this. More than likely the person telling you this is a jerk who got passed over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies