Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:51 PM

141 posts, read 98,108 times

Advertisements

worldstarhiphop.com ?? Not a chance of a staged video eh ??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 02:52 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
I love that show. They don't only cover race. They have other scenarios like a Muslim woman with hijab being denied service, a Latino man being beaten up, a wheelchair user being patronized, a blind woman being cheated for her money, a man abusing a woman in public, a woman abusing a man in public, deaf people being told by the manager their job applications will be tossed in the trash cause they’re deaf, etc. All of these scenarios are based on real-life events.

To people who have never experienced this, the scenarios may seem fabricated and unrealistic. But I know that personally I could relate to several of the scenarios—especially the interracial couple, disability-related, and domestic violence ones, because those are all scenarios that have happened to me personally or someone I know well. I think it’s a great show that sheds light on the covert discrimination based on all kinds of factors from race to dress, disability to gender, and all kinds of combinations thereof.

In addition to setting up a scenario such as a boyfriend beating up a girlfriend, they also replay the same scenario changing the race of the boyfriend and girlfriend, and then changing what the couple is wearing, to show how subtle differences in clothing, race, and other factors can be enough to tip someone’s assumptions about the scenario another way.

You can find a bunch of episodes of this show on YouTube, on the ABC PrimeTime channel.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:52 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThrillIsGone View Post
You sure about that?
Want to bring up Imus/Limbaugh/etc and compare how they were treated b/c of their "racist" comments to some comments from black people about, say, Jeremy Lin?
Apples to oranges.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Apples to oranges.

To you maybe.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:54 PM

840 posts, read 781,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Uh....yeah they did. It robbed them of freedom, equality....and a host of other things.
When they learn to act like civilized humans and not animals then they would be given rights. They got their rights and things got worse....

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Do you deny what the video showed?
What? I was making a sarcastic joke because he/she used the word boy.

New flash. People are racist. I don't need a video to tell me that and unfortunately my wife records this show and I have to watch it with her. This show is going to get someone killed one day when they think a car jacking or an assault is actually this show and step in only to get shot.

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Interesting vid - even though I live it often.

At 6'4" - 250 lbs. and black, I get the treatment often - whether it's someone remembering to cut their car alarm on as I walk past their car in a parking lot - or if I am walking the track and gaining on someone, they suddenly get the urge to jog ahead before I get too close.

I don't like it, but I understand it for what it is. Groups of people are linked with certain behaviors. This is not necessarily racism - it's human nature.

Blacks get crime.
White people are racists to many black people.
Arabs get the terrorist tag.
Hispanics get the illegal tag.
Fat people get the greedy tag and they need to diet and exercise.
Rich people get the greedy tag and they need to pay more taxes.
Sagging pants get the ghetto tag.
Long braids that look unkept get the drug user tag.
Politicians all lie.

If a certain group is known for certain behavior - they are tagged - right, wrong, or indifferent - that's just what happens. Everybody does this. To some extent it's a protective mechanism. If I get on a plane and there are Islamists on it, I will be very alert. Sorry - it is what is is.

I don't like when it happens to me, but God made me who I am, I know I will generally not cause any harm - so I get over it.

MSNBC is using the video to keep the fear and divisiveness alive in the culture - which does not help at all.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:56 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
When they learn to act like civilized humans and not animals then they would be given rights. They got their rights and things got worse....
As compared to how white men have acted to get a buck?

Old 02-28-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Interesting vid - even though I live it often.

At 6'4" - 250 lbs. and black, I get the treatment often - whether it's someone remembering to cut their car alarm on as I walk past their car in a parking lot - or if I am walking the track and gaining on someone, they suddenly get the urge to jog ahead before I get too close.

I don't like it, but I understand it for what it is. Groups of people are linked with certain behaviors. This is not necessarily racism - it's human nature.

Blacks get crime.
White people are racists to many black people.
Arabs get the terrorist tag.
Hispanics get the illegal tag.
Fat people get the greedy tag and they need to diet and exercise.
Rich people get the greedy tag and they need to pay more taxes.
Sagging pants get the ghetto tag.
Long braids that look unkept get the drug user tag.
Politicians all lie.

If a certain group is known for certain behavior - they are tagged - right, wrong, or indifferent - that's just what happens. Everybody does this. To some extent it's a protective mechanism. If I get on a plane and there are Islamists on it, I will be very alert. Sorry - it is what is is.

I don't like when it happens to me, but God made me who I am, I know I will generally not cause any harm - so I get over it.

MSNBC is using the video to keep the fear and divisiveness alive in the culture - which does not help at all.

That sound you just heard was enema country's head exploding.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:59 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThrillIsGone View Post
You sure about that?
Want to bring up Imus/Limbaugh/etc and compare how they were treated b/c of their "racist" comments to some comments from black people about, say, Jeremy Lin?
Last I checked they are all making millions of dollars per year and still working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies