Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:45 PM

994 posts, read 724,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_ View Post
1. Jan 2009 - 800,000 jobs lost

2. The massive bleeding stopped Jan 2010.

3. We are now healing.

4. The bleeding stopped under Obama, remember that!

5. That's why the stock market was dropping hundreds of points every day when Obama took over the White House and now the stock market is at record highs.

Obama battles job crisis: 3 years...and counting - CNNMoney
I don't believe this for a second but your point #4 indicates you're trying to drum up support for Obama.

So let's assume you are right, and I agree to remember the bleeding stopped under Obama. You know what else I'll remember? Fast & Furious, Solyndra, the Arizona lawsuit, Obamacare, OWS, the beer summit, the Wisconsin senators, the contraception mandate, giving the Queen of England an ipod as a state gift, Libya, the BP oil spill, etc.

Frankly, if we were at full employment and had double digit growth I still couldn't vote for Obama because he's broken his promises and broken the law on too many other things to be worth re-electing anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 11:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
it is a debt fueled economy. remove the debting and the job market will collapse.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:50 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
it is a debt fueled economy. remove the debting and the job market will collapse.
Neither Democrats nor the Republicans would have just allowed the job market to simply collapse with no action.

The economy is on the mend. America was pulled from the brink of the abyss. President Obama will win a 2nd term.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:21 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
When Obama took office within two years of this, and no i do not have a reason to lie about this. I have known 16 hard working families who lost a job due to this administration or President. Good jobs they felt would alwyas be safe, and jobs they had been on some for over 20 years. Good paying jobs with benefits.

Can you send them this memo! please The massive bleeding could not have stopped, although they may want you to believe this. Otherwise, people i know and people i do not know who have not found jobs, would be working according to you.
We may be doing a tad better, but we are in no way, doing much better, because if this were the case and you know it, most people would be working, and not standing in lines for that check from Uncle Sam, until they find a job.

I know two middle aged men who gave up looking because when they filled out job applications and the employer found out they have been fired as of 1 to 2 years, they did not have a chance.
Oh and in no way are we healing do you realize this, until we have a stable HOUSING MARKET, and this housing market, is the weakest one we have experienced, thanks to the thousands and thousands of foreclosed homes, short sales, and repos, on the market, with many new ones added daily. To heal we need a thriving housing market, which also leads money to other things.
But i am glad we are doing a tad better, and i mean tad.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:32 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
We can't have a booming robust economy and have the Food Stamp president at the same time.

Pick one.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
When Obama took office within two years of this, and no i do not have a reason to lie about this. I have known 16 hard working families who lost a job due to this administration or President. Good jobs they felt would alwyas be safe, and jobs they had been on some for over 20 years. Good paying jobs with benefits.

Can you send them this memo! please The massive bleeding could not have stopped, although they may want you to believe this. Otherwise, people i know and people i do not know who have not found jobs, would be working according to you.
We may be doing a tad better, but we are in no way, doing much better, because if this were the case and you know it, most people would be working, and not standing in lines for that check from Uncle Sam, until they find a job.

I know two middle aged men who gave up looking because when they filled out job applications and the employer found out they have been fired as of 1 to 2 years, they did not have a chance.
Oh and in no way are we healing do you realize this, until we have a stable HOUSING MARKET, and this housing market, is the weakest one we have experienced, thanks to the thousands and thousands of foreclosed homes, short sales, and repos, on the market, with many new ones added daily. To heal we need a thriving housing market, which also leads money to other things.
The wheels were set in motion for this to happen well before President Obama took office. President Obama did not invent layoffs, corporate mergers and corporate outsourcing.

The fact remains that those who are standing around and waiting to get their old jobs back are just not so "bright". No one that I know has lost a home or hasn't been able to find a job (or start a business) after a layoff. Its the older generation who can not grasp the fact that it is not 1950 and they are not guaranteed a job for life at the widget factory.

"The Man" doesn't care that someone has worked at Acme Inc for 30 years, more likely than not that person was being overpaid and the company can hire two people to do the same job at half the cost as the 30 year company employee. Its called "the free market" but I guess Republicans only like the idea of the "free market" when it doesn't involve themselves. Somehow, these Republicans believe that they are "entitled" to jobs whether the companies view them as a valuable human resource or not...sort of like a Republican "affirmative action" demanding that companies hire them and pay double the salary just because the employee is older and has a mortgage and kids in college.

If these people are not smart enough to figure out a way to reinvent themselves by changing careers or starting their own businesses, then why would a company need or want them. They obviously would add very little value. Its "entitlement" by another name....but again, Republicans like this chose to blame others rather than take responsibility for their own poor planning and lack of marketable skills.

ETA: also, if your friends were "fired" and not laid-off then they lost their jobs due to their own actions.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:36 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Thank goodness for the republicans taking over last January.

Only since they took over the house has things moved in a positive way.

People know they can invest and hire with the reps stopping all the anti business Obama antics.

Guess we need the reps in the WH and controlling the Senate to fix this mess Pelosi, Reid and Obama put us into.

Thank you Republicans!!!

for restoring confidence back into the job sector which helps the economy.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Thank goodness for the republicans taking over last January.

Only since they took over the house has things moved in a positive way.

People know they can invest and hire with the reps stopping all the anti business Obama antics.

Guess we need the reps in the WH and controlling the Senate to fix this mess Pelosi, Reid and Obama put us into.

Thank you Republicans!!!

for restoring confidence back into the job sector which helps the economy.
Keep telling yourself that...all the way through Jan 2017

Old 02-29-2012, 12:48 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,924 times
kkaos, that tin foil hat a little tight today?

Really? The beer summit is a big issue now?

Obama caused the oil spill? Did he swim a few thousand feet down and sabotage the well?

Libya? What the heck else was he supposed to there? Did his Facebook page start the Arab spring?

In terms of Solyndra, do you think that all of that money and subsidies that the oil companies get always leads to oil discovery?

I know people from England and Ireland. They all love the guy and I haven't heard anyone complaining about the iPod.

OWS? He began and runs that movement now?

Did you ever stop to think that maybe your emotions might be driving your opinion here and no matter what the guy does you'd complain. I mean seriously stop and think about that. You're way too emotional.

Quote:
President Obama did not invent layoffs
Stimulus plan. Bailing out GM/Chrysler saved about a million jobs actually. You'd best read before you write things like that.

Quote:
We can't have a booming robust economy and have the Food Stamp president at the same time.

Pick one.
Since when did stabilized become booming. Also, the guy in the white house now inherited the worst economic conditions in 100 years. Of course more people are on food stamps. The same holds true when you look at governors in red and blue states alike. What exactly are you whining about here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Someone care to explain this??
Yup, it's called being too lazy to look it up yourself. You really shouldn't be debating job numbers if you don't know what seasonally adjusted means.

Google Take some personal responsibility.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:33 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The wheels were set in motion for this to happen well before President Obama took office. President Obama did not invent layoffs, corporate mergers and corporate outsourcing.

The fact remains that those who are standing around and waiting to get their old jobs back are just not so "bright". No one that I know has lost a home or hasn't been able to find a job (or start a business) after a layoff. Its the older generation who can not grasp the fact that it is not 1950 and they are not guaranteed a job for life at the widget factory.

"The Man" doesn't care that someone has worked at Acme Inc for 30 years, more likely than not that person was being overpaid and the company can hire two people to do the same job at half the cost as the 30 year company employee. Its called "the free market" but I guess Republicans only like the idea of the "free market" when it doesn't involve themselves. Somehow, these Republicans believe that they are "entitled" to jobs whether the companies view them as a valuable human resource or not...sort of like a Republican "affirmative action" demanding that companies hire them and pay double the salary just because the employee is older and has a mortgage and kids in college.

If these people are not smart enough to figure out a way to reinvent themselves by changing careers or starting their own businesses, then why would a company need or want them. They obviously would add very little value. Its "entitlement" by another name....but again, Republicans like this chose to blame others rather than take responsibility for their own poor planning and lack of marketable skills.

ETA: also, if your friends were "fired" and not laid-off then they lost their jobs due to their own actions.
We are going to agree to disagree on this always. You tell me the same things all the time. And i am telling you over and over no lie. These people each had jobs until Obama came into officie, good jobs. And i have dem friends who were let go also, this is truly what happened.
Everyone i know who does own a business, does not like Obama's practices regulations, i can go on.
Lets not talk about being smart, some of these people would run leaps and bounds over any of us on this forum. They have the smarts, and some have since found jobs, but many have not. You make it sound as it is so easy to find work, yet we own our business, and travel to many different States . we know so many people in different States, that complain, they are not doing well, business or financially. They are not dumb people.
You want to talk entitlements, talk to your party, that is what they are known for.
Some of my Dem friends are also blaming Obama, words for them too!
And no many were let go, and younger people took their place, less qualified, and you know why, to save money.
This is neither a republician or democrat issue, it is a huge issue, of importance to all who have lost jobs, both partys included.
And yes most of them do blame Obama, take it up with them.
We will not agree on this issue ever, they had jobs under BUSH, GOSH DARN IT, OBAMA MADE THEM DO IT, lose their jobs that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies