Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:00 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Let's start from the position that you're allowed to own anything that qualifies as "arms" -- guns, blades, explosives, artillery, etc.

What limitations or regulations would you see as fair or not an infringement on your right to bear arms?
We shouldn't have any arms not available to the Government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 05:31 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
I'd sure like a phased plasma rifle in the 20mw range but until then I'll keep Heidi lubed up! Need to beef up the ammo inventory though down to 10,000 rounds for her!

Attachment 92438

Last edited by my54ford; 08-17-2016 at 06:35 AM..

Old 03-15-2012, 05:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
The only limit I care to see on firearms is preventing access to them by violent criminals and the certified insane. The first are already criminals and the latter cannot be held responsible for what they do. I agree with eliminating the 1934 National Firearms Act or whatever it is called.

Just remember the person that pulls the trigger is completely responsible for any damage done by the bullet. If, as a worst case, you kill someone you had damn well have a very good reason for doing it.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:45 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Let's start from the position that you're allowed to own anything that qualifies as "arms" -- guns, blades, explosives, artillery, etc.

What limitations or regulations would you see as fair or not an infringement on your right to bear arms?

weapons of mass destruction- anything else should be allowed.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:34 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
we will never know, now will we. why not ask the teachers of Israel how many kids are killed there by school shooting, bet the answer would surprise you.

the federal goverment is not the ones responsible for children being killed in school, the murderer is. but they might have as well put the gun into the murderers hand by not allowing any law abiding citizen in the school to be armed.
The answer would not surprise me at all for any number of reasons OTHER than the teachers being armed. The kids aren't armed and contrary to what you MIGHT believe are not encouraged to think about guns in the same way as U.S. children. Children are very actively prevented from access to any weapons until attaining the militia duty age. Daddy doesn't have a glock and if he does it's in a locked cabinet NOT in his nightstand our under his pillow.

Israel is surrounded by enemies. "We're in this together" ethos is a driving force which precludes children from bullying each other AND thinking of exacting vengeance on each other for perceived slights.

Let's take another example and use the typical U.S. courthouse instead.

What measures have been found to work in that environment to prevent an unforeseen "postal encounter" and why, with all of the armed and trained LEO's routinely inhabiting a courthouse did the prevailing rationale default to PREVENTING weapons from entering?

Simple answer; regardless of being armed to the teeth, there is no effective defense against the individual who is armed and intent on doing you harm. He can and WILL get the drop on you.

Once we've established everyone can have a CCW. What's the next step from there, everyone walking around with one in their hand to protect yourself from all those CCW holders who might not be balanced?

All who think the CCW law will prevent the bad dude from capping your ass is just plain wrong as truly bad dudes don't signal their intent nor do they face you across a street beside the OK corrall. In a room full of CCW's and one bad guy, if you're his target, you are still dead. The small consolation you will have is there will be no trial. Whoopee.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
In a room full of armed people the attacker will not have a trial either. If I have to be anywhere I feel an armed attack is likely I will be armed and I might well be armored.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:45 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:

I don't see a need for anything above black & gun powder propelled.
That includes a cannon(which I do own)

Old 03-15-2012, 07:50 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
In a room full of armed people the attacker will not have a trial either. If I have to be anywhere I feel an armed attack is likely I will be armed and I might well be armored.
That is exactly what I mean't with the "no trial" statement. The perp is dead but small consolation to your widow.

When everyone is armed how do we even begin to guess when an attack is likely?

That guy over in the corner whose wife just told him he's been cuckolded for the last ten years by a wimpy accountant and YOU'RE the only accountant at this particular meet and greet?

The guy being introduced to you, that bid on the same job you did (but lost) whose a lefty and is reaching to shake your hand with his right hand while his dominant hand is behind his back?

The waiter in a restaurant who remembers you complaining about the service last week and almost got fired but begged to keep his job?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:12 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Who is Barack Hussein..... do you mean our President Barack Obama?
Hey you want guns and guns and more guns..... knock yourself out but please don't cry when your children are being shot down in school because of guns and guns and more guns............ no one should pay for your craving for firearms.... well except for the daily killing of innocent people and they pay with their lives.
Two words.

Kennesaw Georgia

Quote:
Gun law

In 1982 the city passed an ordinance [Sec 34-21][13]

(a) In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore.

(b) Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.
Quote:
In 2007, the city was selected by Family Circle magazine as one of the nation's "10 best towns for families". The award was aimed at identifying the best communities nationally that combine big-city opportunities with suburban charm, a blend of affordable housing, good jobs, top-rated public schools, wide-open spaces, and less stress.
Kennesaw, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-15-2012, 12:43 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
The 2nd amendment says the right to BEAR ARMS.
Its says nothing about what arms if someone had enough money to BUY A SMALL ARMY they can have gernades, automatic weapons and many other items. It is what he DOES with them that matters. In America when you have to worry about your rights that is when you know what kind of weapons you will need to defend them.
IF the government just stood for liberty you would have less issues to worry about and no real issues with what weapons citizens OWN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies