Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:05 PM

76,855 posts, read 47,156,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The word "void" does not appear anywhere in my post.
It apprared in my post, and you replied "it is not", meaning "it is not void".

If you meant something else, then that's cool.

Look, this law was drafted to be an anti-sharia law, which would make it impossible to enforce any aspects of sharia law, but you (and the other poster) are trying to argue that even with this law, you can still apply sharia law any way you, want as long as it does not violate the constitution. The intent was to shut down sharia law, but they accidentally also shut down the Jewish law. The text says that the court rulings are void it they are based in full, or in part on foreign or religious laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 12:11 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,705,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Read the bill.
Reading the bill doesn't appear to have done much in your case, as you continue to dodge the issue of "foreign laws and ideas" which is part and parcel of the bill. It certainly doesn't help when you get overly defensive about it not targeting specific religions (Islam and, probably unintentionally, Judaism), hence I asked for an example and you presented one that was about Islam!

There is something disingenuous about your claims. Either that or you're not getting what you read. The funny thing is, your example pretty much talks about government's authority in controlling decisions made for religious workplace. You could have substituted Islam with Catholic church and firing of employees with the highly advertised contraception issue. In that case, though, you would have called it a violation of first amendment. No?

Old 02-29-2012, 12:32 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,589,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
It doesn't bar Jewish Courts, it simply doesn't allow for punishments that violate Federal or State law.

From the bill -

It doesn't bar Jewish Courts, it simply doesn't allow for punishments that violate Federal or State law.

does not grant the parties affected by the ruling or decision the same fundamental liberties, rights, and privileges guaranteed by the State Constitution or the United States Constitution.
Basically, religious entities would continue to function as they always have but secular legal entities would not be influenced by their possibly more narrow or extreme rulings.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I suppose that the OP might have intended this as a lesson in the laws of unintended consequences - i.e. throw out the net to catch tuna and get lots of dolphins too, but, I fail to see why it would have ever been acceptable for our judicial system to be influenced or superceded by a religious court in any matter that is sanctioned by the state.
One can argue that marriage and divorce should not require licensing and/or court ordered dissolution but, unless/until such time as these are removed from that purview, it is a moot point.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:37 PM

32,817 posts, read 19,353,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It was supposed to be just anti-muslim law, but I guess they never heard of Jewish courts which are now illegal under the new law.

Anti-Sharia law: Senate panel rams through bill Muslims and Jews call discriminatory - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Senate panel rams through bill Muslims and Jews call discriminatory

Andrew Rosenkranz, regional director for the Anti Defamation League, said that the decisions of Jewish tribunals called Bet Dins, which often handle divorce proceedings, are often converted into civil divorce decrees by the courts. But under the Senate bill, and another ready for a vote by the entire House, an observant Orthodox couple would "effectively be barred from following their faith and using a Jewish tribunal to dissolve their marriage," he said.
oh please

1. catholics use it too..its called an annulment
2. NONE of those have anything to due with the STATE LAWS...the STATE grants the marriage and the divorce
3. as a catholic you can get a divorse, but it is NOT RECOGNIZED by the church...same for muslims, and orthodox jews

Old 02-29-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Basically, religious entities would continue to function as they always have but secular legal entities would not be influenced by their possibly more narrow or extreme rulings.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I suppose that the OP might have intended this as a lesson in the laws of unintended consequences - i.e. throw out the net to catch tuna and get lots of dolphins too, but, I fail to see why it would have ever been acceptable for our judicial system to be influenced or superceded by a religious court in any matter that is sanctioned by the state.
The Jewish court has been used only when both parties are Jewish, and both agree to use the Jewish court. If one party wants to use the regular court, then they use the regular court. No one has complained about the Jewish rulings because it is pretty much the same as two guys settling their issues on their own. Who cares? But now that the government has decided to intervene they created an issue out of a non-issue because they didn't think about how the ruling will affect non-muslims.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh please

1. catholics use it too..its called an annulment
2. NONE of those have anything to due with the STATE LAWS...the STATE grants the marriage and the divorce
3. as a catholic you can get a divorse, but it is NOT RECOGNIZED by the church...same for muslims, and orthodox jews
The Jewish court "Beth Din" is used by many Jews during their divorces and other civil disputes and they handle property division, pre-nups, custody, loans etc, but going forward such rulings in the Jewish court will be void.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:18 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,495,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
So true.. They constantly cry about separation of church and state, except when Muslims are concerned.
Couldn't you say the same thing about Republicans and contraception?

Yes, yes you could.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:32 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,795,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Couldn't you say the same thing about Republicans and contraception?

Yes, yes you could.
The contraception issue has been brought up by the Democrats. As well as abortions before.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:52 PM

This kind of "war on religion" is the sign of the times....

Old 02-29-2012, 02:02 PM

2,896 posts, read 3,475,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill...ext/Filed/HTML

Helps to read the text before slamming it.

I don't see anything discriminatory. It prevents judges from using foreign opinions, laws, etc. that run counter to the Florida and US Constitutions and that violates a person's natural rights. Are you against that?
The moon bats have really been at it this week on City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies