Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 02:30 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A U.S. judge sided with tobacco companies on Wednesday, ruling that regulations requiring large graphic health warnings on cigarette packaging and advertising violate free-speech rights under the U.S. Constitution.

Cigarette makers challenged the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's rule requiring companies to label tobacco products with images of rotting teeth, diseased lungs and other images intended to illustrate the dangers of smoking.
Tobacco health labels violate free speech - Health - Addictions - msnbc.com

I don't like cigarettes at all, but I'm glad to see this. As long as cigarettes are legal, the companies should be able to market them to adults in any way they wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 02:33 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Good point. They are legal.....so this mandate is overstepping bounds. What other types of dangerous actions should we try to graphically implore people to avoid?

1) Bungee chords with a label showing a shattered human head?
2) Machinery/equipment brochures with a severed body parts?
3) Condoms wrappers with genital warts?
4) Where does it stop?

Good decision by the court in my view.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
We have a lot of messed up ideas about free speech..

Old 02-29-2012, 02:45 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
Does this mean they have to take signs off like........... May be dangerous to children or not for children under 3 or do not have near flame or highly corrosive or highly flammable on furniture.
Warnings are there for a purpose, even on legal things.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:49 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
This is one of the things that was a little noticed aspect of the war on tobacco going back to the 1990's. It p****ed all over the First Amendment. I have several Camel and Marlboro T-shirts and caps from back then; the cigarette companies used to give them away, but the practice was banned by President Clinton.

If they can ban that, what else can they ban? Maybe gun ads? Could a President Santorum ban condom ads, or ads for gay bars?

Old 02-29-2012, 02:51 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
There is a warning on my package of japanese snacks...it says (in bold letters): DO NOT EAT THE PACKAGING.

Whew. Close one.

As long as there are lawyers, there will be stupid labeling.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:00 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
I think the "surgeon general" warning on the side is sufficient. Hell make it move to the front.

But putting pictures of black lungs and things on the front are overboard, IMO. Who doesn't know that smoking is bad for you? I smoked from the time I was 15 until I was about 25, and the whole time I knew it was bad for me. Lots of things are bad for you, and people do them anyway. Whats next, putting a picture of fat albert on happy meals?

Old 02-29-2012, 03:02 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think the "surgeon general" warning on the side is sufficient. Hell make it move to the front.

But putting pictures of black lungs and things on the front are overboard, IMO. Who doesn't know that smoking is bad for you? I smoked from the time I was 15 until I was about 25, and the whole time I knew it was bad for me. Lots of things are bad for you, and people do them anyway. Whats next, putting a picture of fat albert on happy meals?

I watched an old movie (made in the 1940s). In the movie, the characters talked about cigs causing cancer.
No one can tell me an entire generation didn't know (hence the lawsuits).
My friend's grandfather (WWII) said they called them 'coffin nails.'

I like the idea of Fat Albert on happy meals. But people will think a new movie is out or something.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:20 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Tobacco health labels violate free speech - Health - Addictions - msnbc.com

I don't like cigarettes at all, but I'm glad to see this. As long as cigarettes are legal, the companies should be able to market them to adults in any way they wish.

Yes this is a violation to free speech but in this context i believe its justified, if you find fault with the Governments efforts to dissuade people from smoking I guess you wont have much to say about footing the bill for the usual long term health consequences of these smokers.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:32 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I watched an old movie (made in the 1940s). In the movie, the characters talked about cigs causing cancer.
No one can tell me an entire generation didn't know (hence the lawsuits).
My friend's grandfather (WWII) said they called them 'coffin nails.'

I like the idea of Fat Albert on happy meals. But people will think a new movie is out or something.
King James I (of King James Bible fame) talked about the health risks of tobacco back in the 17th century.
A Counterblaste to Tobacco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

King James noted that smoking was "dangerous to the lungs."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies