Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:08 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,186 times

Advertisements

I would add that refusing such a person communion is an act of mercy, because if one is not in a state of grace, receiving communion becomes a sacrilege and adds to one's guilt.

As a Catholic I don't understand the entitlement mentality so many Catholics seem to have with respect to the Eucharist. There are many times when I am not spiritually prepared to receive communion and choose to remain in the pew. In the old days you might be refused communion if the priest knew you missed Mass last week and hadn't yet gone to confession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 08:25 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I would add that refusing such a person communion is an act of mercy, because if one is not in a state of grace, receiving communion becomes a sacrilege and adds to one's guilt.

As a Catholic I don't understand the entitlement mentality so many Catholics seem to have with respect to the Eucharist. There are many times when I am not spiritually prepared to receive communion and choose to remain in the pew. In the old days you might be refused communion if the priest knew you missed Mass last week and hadn't yet gone to confession.
I think that's part of the problem. I would guess that few people are in a state of grace when receiving communion nowadays, so it comes off as hypocrisy when someone actually is refused.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:47 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
I think that's part of the problem. I would guess that few people are in a state of grace when receiving communion nowadays, so it comes off as hypocrisy when someone actually is refused.
The difference is that those who aren't in a state of grace aren't easily distinguishable. There is no way of knowing by looking that a person is an adulterer, liar or even a homosexual. It is only when these things are known that priests/churches will deny you taking communion.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:53 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
The difference is that those who aren't in a state of grace aren't easily distinguishable. There is no way of knowing by looking that a person is an adulterer, liar or even a homosexual. It is only when these things are known that priests/churches will deny you taking communion.
Seldom happens though, at least in the U.S.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
D.C. archdiocese: Denying Communion to lesbian at funeral was against ‘policy’ - The Washington Post

On the one hand, I can understand her grief. On the other, if this particular church does not agree with homosexuality, should they be forced to give someone communion?

Also, who put this funeral together? Why didn't they make sure they had a tolerant church/priest for this funeral?
Good. She's better off anyway. If she gets any smarter, she'll leave the church altogether. And if she REALLY gets a brainstorm, she'll get away from religion altogether.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:02 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Seldom happens though, at least in the U.S.
Do you have proof that known sinners are allowed to take communion? Otherwise, this is just supposition.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:10 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
I believe there is a level of expectation that individuals who have gone through church instruction understand the sanctity of the communion sacrament and will show enough respect not to take communion. Obviously, this lesbian neither had any sense of shame nor any respect for the teaching of the church. It is sad that it had to happen at her own mother's funeral. She should have known better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post

Thank you. This has been my experience too and I'm not Catholic.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:12 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,186 times
Quote:
Do you have proof that known sinners are allowed to take communion? Otherwise, this is just supposition.
I think helenejen is probably right, mainly because - and it's painful to admit this - most Catholics are very poorly catechized. Priests don't preach about sin much, about the difference between mortal and venial sins, or about the necessity of confession before receiving communion. Confessions used to be heard 1/2 hour before every Mass every day of the week. Now it's 45 minutes on Saturday or by appointment, and even then only a few regular penitents show up. (Which is one reason among many I stick to the Latin Mass communities.)

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 02-29-2012 at 09:47 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 09:20 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,585 times
Quote:
D.C. archdiocese: Denying Communion to lesbian at funeral was against ‘policy’ - The Washington Post

On the one hand, I can understand her grief. On the other, if this particular church does not agree with homosexuality, should they be forced to give someone communion?

Also, who put this funeral together? Why didn't they make sure they had a tolerant church/priest for this funeral?
While I'm a practicing Catholic and dislike the barrage of anti-Catholic threads/posts that are a regular thing here,
I also dislke and disagree with any priest or other person of the Church deciding who is fit for Communion (gays or not, politicians who support the aborrent practice of abortion or not, etc).

Those things are sins according to the Church.
So is premarital sex, and you can bet that the pews are filled with those of us with that on our list.
As well as any number of other things the Church considers a sin.

A person's relationship with God is between God and that person, period.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:29 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
While I'm a practicing Catholic and dislike the barrage of anti-Catholic threads/posts that are a regular thing here,
I also dislke and disagree with any priest or other person of the Church deciding who is fit for Communion (gays or not, politicians who support the aborrent practice of abortion or not, etc).

Those things are sins according to the Church.
So is premarital sex, and you can bet that the pews are filled with those of us with that on our list.
As well as any number of other things the Church considers a sin.

A person's relationship with God is between God and that person, period.
I guess you never go to confession then if it is none of the priest's business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies