Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 03:01 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,978,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
If they are functional, then they are not substance abusers.
There is a big difference between use and abuse.
Most disfunctional people are that way from the start. They have a predisposition to look for escapes. For some it is alcohol, gambling, prescription meds... And yes, marijuana.
Marijuna is not the cause of people's problems.
I don't agree with that. Just because you can function doesn't mean that you aren't abusing a substance. If I use more Oxycodine than is recommended by a doctor or a psychiatrist, yet I am still able to function despite that fact, then I am 'abusing' it technically.

BTW. Would you be ok and accepting if your children's babysitter got stoned everyday in their off time? How about a financial advisor or someone who manages your investments? Would you feel fully confident in that person's abilities to handle such responsibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 03:44 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,939,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
BTW. Would you be ok and accepting if your children's babysitter got stoned everyday in their off time? How about a financial advisor or someone who manages your investments? Would you feel fully confident in that person's abilities to handle such responsibility?
No issues whatsoever. What my babysitter does on her own time is her own damn business and is neither yours nor mine. As long as she does a good job, that's all I care about. 30M+ people in the US smoke Marijuana, many of them daily. A sizable portion of these smokers are professionals like doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc. I've been a daily smoker since the age of 14. I'm now 58 and comfortably retired having been married for 36 years, having raised three kids and putting them all through college. I'm now looking forward to a move to my retirement destination in the next year where my wife & I will build a beautiful new home & enjoy life. I have a degree in electrical engineering from a Big Ten school and have spent the last 37 years in telecommunications. There are millions more out there just like me.

Your statements are nonsense. Go read a book, maybe you'll learn something. You've been so brainwashed about this benign substance that you need to go force some of this trash out of your head.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
No issues whatsoever. What my babysitter does on her own time is her own damn business and is neither yours nor mine. As long as she does a good job, that's all I care about. 30M+ people in the US smoke Marijuana, many of them daily. A sizable portion of these smokers are professionals like doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc. I've been a daily smoker since the age of 14. I'm now 58 and comfortably retired having been married for 36 years, having raised three kids and putting them all through college. I'm now looking forward to a move to my retirement destination in the next year where my wife & I will build a beautiful new home & enjoy life. I have a degree in electrical engineering from a Big Ten school and have spent the last 37 years in telecommunications. There are millions more out there just like me.

Your statements are nonsense. Go read a book, maybe you'll learn something. You've been so brainwashed about this benign substance that you need to go force some of this trash out of your head.
I would care about your opinion if I asked you. Thanks, but I'll wait for the person who I orginally commented to respond.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:17 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,634,304 times
Quote:
I don't agree with that. Just because you can function doesn't mean that you aren't abusing a substance. If I use more Oxycodine than is recommended by a doctor or a psychiatrist, yet I am still able to function despite that fact, then I am 'abusing' it technically.

'technically abusing' - heehee....because a person is taking more than prescribed and yet still functions. Perhaps they take more because their body chemistry is in need of more to make it effective.
If a person is still productive, presentable and responsible, it does not matter how much of something they use....unless of course it will hurt ones health.
My husband was given meds that were supposed to make his anxiety manageable. He took the prescribed amount and it turned him into a monster. This same drug also required a liver check due to the damage it can cause.
So....what is bad in what ever amount for one person, is not bad in more or less amounts for another person.

As for a babysitter or investment advisor....if their track record in their profession shows that they are competent and capable, I have no problem with what they choose to do in other areas of their life. They can be into S&M and I don't care.
I'd actually probably be more likely to work with these people because they do smoke Marijuna. My investment advisor and I could sit with a J after hours and have fun brainstorming about where to put my money next.
I have come up with some of my best designs while under the influence. I have even had moments where I have been sober and 'stuck' with some sort of problem or project and after getting a little buzz, it come in clear as can be and I can progress forward.

Smoking Marijuna does not make or break the person. If they are going to be lazy and unproductive, they will do so with or without a drug.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
'technically abusing' - heehee....because a person is taking more than prescribed and yet still functions. Perhaps they take more because their body chemistry is in need of more to make it effective.
If a person is still productive, presentable and responsible, it does not matter how much of something they use....unless of course it will hurt ones health.
My husband was given meds that were supposed to make his anxiety manageable. He took the prescribed amount and it turned him into a monster. This same drug also required a liver check due to the damage it can cause.
So....what is bad in what ever amount for one person, is not bad in more or less amounts for another person.

As for a babysitter or investment advisor....if their track record in their profession shows that they are competent and capable, I have no problem with what they choose to do in other areas of their life. They can be into S&M and I don't care.
I'd actually probably be more likely to work with these people because they do smoke Marijuna. My investment advisor and I could sit with a J after hours and have fun brainstorming about where to put my money next.
I have come up with some of my best designs while under the influence. I have even had moments where I have been sober and 'stuck' with some sort of problem or project and after getting a little buzz, it come in clear as can be and I can progress forward.

Smoking Marijuna does not make or break the person. If they are going to be lazy and unproductive, they will do so with or without a drug.
We can agree to disagree about how "abuse" is defined. You can redefine it to suit your position, but it is what it is.

But I personally would not feel comfortable voluntarily putting my children and/or investments at risk to a functioning weedhead or functioning drunk (shrug). Their capabilities and my trust ARE effected by their behaviors outside of their profession. Remember. we're not talking about casual use here--we're talking about habitual abusers. It's extremely rare that lifestyle choices and professional choices aren't intertwined somehwere down the line.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:25 PM

567 posts, read 1,008,158 times
Quote:
We can agree to disagree about how "abuse" is defined. You can redefine it to suit your position, but it is what it is.

But I personally would not feel comfortable voluntarily putting my children and/or investments at risk to a functioning weedhead or functioning drunk (shrug). Their capabilities and my trust ARE effected by their behaviors outside of their profession. Remember. we're not talking about casual use here--we're talking about habitual abusers. It's extremely rare that lifestyle choices and professional choices aren't intertwined somehwere down the line.
I smoke everyday.

I'm 26 years old and haven't been without a job since I was 15 and a half years old(Obtained a worker's permit). I probably have better work ethics than you do. This "pothead", "deadhead", "stoner", "marijuana abuser", "weedhead" or whatever you want to call me just took an IT job off the market 3 weeks ago. I start my new IT position tomorrow.

What about the initial drug test? Oh, I'm 5'7 @ 128lbs with a very high metabolism. I can get clean in 2 weeks. Can get clean faster if I exercise and drink more water.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:28 PM

567 posts, read 1,008,158 times
Quote:

I think you mean "Oxycodone" or "Oxycontin".

Old 03-11-2012, 05:29 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,777,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
No. Second hand smoke is second hand smoke regardless if one makes you paranoid, giggly and crave Funions.
BAN BBQ's and FIREPLACES!!!111 THE SMOKE BE KILLING ME.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
I smoke everyday.

I'm 26 years old and haven't been without a job since I was 15 and a half years old(Obtained a worker's permit). I probably have better work ethics than you do. This "pothead", "deadhead", "stoner", "marijuana abuser", "weedhead" or whatever you want to call me just took an IT job off the market 3 weeks ago. I start my new IT position tomorrow.

What about the initial drug test? Oh, I'm 5'7 @ 128lbs with a very high metabolism. I can get clean in 2 weeks. Can get clean faster if I exercise and drink more water.
Great, now show me the ragtag weedhead' High school drop out who can't maintain steady employment, who's middle aged, listens to Nirvana and resides in his parent's basement while he's getting buzzed half the day.

I love these stories "I'm a crackhead...but I have a job so I'm not a total burden and social derelict."

I guess everyone is the exception here.

BTW what steered you towards substance abuse? And have you ever experimented with any other illegal substances? PCP, cocaine, meth etc etc? Have you ever been clean? Can you function without any of the above if you're using them?

Old 03-11-2012, 06:00 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,634,304 times
Quote:

I'm not redefining anything....

ABUSE
Verb:
Use (something) to bad effect or for a bad purpose; misuse.

'to bad effect'*
If a person has no self-motivation, and smokes marijuana and they continue to sit on the couch, then they are abusing it. It is not helping them that's for sure.

If a person is not in the mood to clean their house but knows it needs to be done and smokes a J to make cleaning tolerable, they are using it to find the motivation....that is not 'to a bad effect'

And when I answered you Q, I considered the babysitter and investment advisor examples as daily users, not casual.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your position, but it sounds to me that you perceive that anyone who smokes marijuana on a regular basis is an abuser. From my experience, it is not like that.*
However, I will give your position some credit. I don't totally disagree with you.*
Many people, regardless of their drug of choice are abusers, many, but not all. And many more of those are on stuff that is legal, out numbering the pot smokers.
Again- this goes back to a predisposition that is just part of human nature. Some people have addictive personalities and others do not.*
So let us ALL stop pointing the finger at different substances and hit the nail on the head....if one has an addictive personality, an emotional instability, a mental disfunction, they are likely that way from birth. Life experiences, environment and personal will *is the determining factor wether or not the individual will be productive & responsible or *will be thorn in societies side until they get help.

I respect that you are not comfortable with users, but don't peg all users as abusers just because they like to enjoy Marijuana on a daily basis.
I get a bit of a giggle out of this because as I said before, there are people who regularly smoke and you would never ever guess that they did.
Maybe your babysitter does smoke and they are so wonderful, presentable and intelligent enough that you can't even imagine that they are a pothead.....how would you really know without asking them outright?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies