Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:38 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,791,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Great, now show me the ragtag weedhead' High school drop out who can't maintain steady employment, who's middle aged, listens to Nirvana and resides in his parent's basement while he's getting buzzed half the day.

I love these stories "I'm a crackhead...but I have a job so I'm not a total burden and social derelict."

I guess everyone is the exception here.
The fact that there ARE so many "exceptions" should clue you in to something... maybe that your stereotypes are unfair, and not as common as you once believed?

Btw, I listen to Nirvana regularly, but I do so from my beautiful $1410/mo apartment which is shared with nobody except my pets... also listen to them on my way to work, a professional job in a career I've built up for 6 years (since finishing grad school). LOL

So please do explain, how am I a "burden and social derelict?" Don't I earn my own money, pay for my own bills & recreation, etc? Not sure how your so-called logic is working here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 09:46 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,791,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I don't care if it's legalized. In fact, I want it to be legalized. I can't imagine wasting billions of dollars on this crap taking away people's right to do as they please while my city (which helped this country win WWII) is on the verge of financial collapse. However, would it be too much for you and your parents to get their fix before they enter a public establishment? Is it too much to ask for you to be cosndierate of others who don't want to inhale your toxins (or medicine, whatever you call it)?
Nope, and that's why smoking of ANY substance isn't allowed in public buildings here in California... even outside it's only tolerated in some areas, and most of us medical users are very considerate about following the rules!

Old 03-11-2012, 10:18 PM

567 posts, read 1,009,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I don't care if it's legalized. In fact, I want it to be legalized. I can't imagine wasting billions of dollars on this crap taking away people's right to do as they please while my city (which helped this country win WWII) is on the verge of financial collapse. However, would it be too much for you and your parents to get their fix before they enter a public establishment? Is it too much to ask for you to be cosndierate of others who don't want to inhale your toxins (or medicine, whatever you call it)?

I was aiming at your 90% sales tax nonsense and legalizing for medical purposes. Not about smoking in public establishments. Oh and no it's not to much to ask.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:45 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,318,081 times
Quote:
Great, now show me the ragtag weedhead' High school drop out who can't maintain steady employment, who's middle aged, listens to Nirvana and resides in his parent's basement while he's getting buzzed half the day.

I love these stories "I'm a crackhead...but I have a job so I'm not a total burden and social derelict."

I guess everyone is the exception here.

BTW what steered you towards substance abuse? And have you ever experimented with any other illegal substances? PCP, cocaine, meth etc etc? Have you ever been clean? Can you function without any of the above if you're using them?
Well I have a six figure income, work as an engineer in cellular, have a family of two kids, two dogs, and a significant other. We go to boy scouts, we fish on the weekend, I live on the water, in Florida, with a 19 foot fishing boat.

I was a "ragtag" weed head, and by all accounts I still am, though a little less "ragtag" then I used to be. I've been employed by the same company for 8 years, although I'm looking to transfer to another for a nice pay increase in the next few months.

I enjoy Nirvanas Nevermind, but I'm much more into Pink Floyd and Tom Petty.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:23 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,084,287 times
Quote:
pentatonic

Congrats. Most habitual users that I know, are what I would consider abusers in denial. Do you purchase it off the street? I ask because normally dealers are the 'gateway' to other illegal substances, which is why I questioned your possible experimentation of other 'hard drugs.' You don't necessarily have to be an "idiot" for that, it's just the way that it usually goes. Normally sellers attempt to solicit you into other drugs if they see that you're a steady customer of a particular one.

Yes, but your personal example is a diengenuous one as well.
This right here tells me that you don't smoke.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:19 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,942,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You can take Aderol and Ritalin and still legally drive. Glad you have no use for cocaine. I have no use for that, marijuana and any of that other junk.

That's not the point.

So what is the point then? If there is no proof of physical addiction, and the most harmful aspect about pot is smoking it which BTW there are other ways to consume it such as eating, or vaporizing, not to mention there is no risk of overdose, what's the issue? OK, so you don't drink either. So why tell others what to do with their bodies? Also from a medical standpoint, if I ever need something down the road that requires pain relief, or decrease of nausea, with the ONLY side effects being that of getting the munchies, and catching a little buzz, and getting the giggles, I'm choosing the natural solution.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:21 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,942,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Please present your proof for this. Most accidents where marijuana was involved also involved alcohol or/and other drugs. A person can test positive for Marijuna weeks after last use. Anyone who smokes 'too much' is going to fall asleep before they walk out in front of a bus.

And it does not take being stoned to turn down a one way street.
I know, I have done it sober.
Smoking marijuana and driving does not make you a bad driver. As was said earlier, people drive slower and are more easy going with the jerks on the road who are sober and more likely to 'miss' something because they are in a hury and cause an accident.

Hey McSpud. I believe your answer is right here.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 PM

31,288 posts, read 20,657,476 times
Quote:

Congrats. Most habitual users that I know, are what I would consider abusers in denial. Do you purchase it off the street? I ask because normally dealers are the 'gateway' to other illegal substances, which is why I questioned your possible experimentation of other 'hard drugs.' You don't necessarily have to be an "idiot" for that, it's just the way that it usually goes. Normally sellers attempt to solicit you into other drugs if they see that you're a steady customer of a particular one.

The whole concept of "gateway" is silly, ignorant and misleading. It's a term used by idiots who are trying to scare people from using pot. Pot is not a gateway to anything, and most pot dealers sell nothing but pot. Most pot dealers are just ordinary people with full time jobs at the local bank or insurance company.

Just like aspirin is not a gateway to Ambien or Ritalin, pot is not a gateway to anything.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:51 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,022,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
No. Second hand smoke is second hand smoke regardless if one makes you paranoid, giggly and crave Funions.
great post

Old 03-12-2012, 08:59 PM

31,288 posts, read 20,657,476 times
Quote:

But yes, someone who "regularly" uses marijuana is what I would consider a "weedhead" and/or abuser of an illegal substance.
Using drugs and abusing drugs are totally unrelated. And just because the government says something is bad doesn't make it so.

Quote:
Perhaps. But with the knowledge beforehand I would NOT allow a babysitter, a financial advsor etc etc to watch my children, manage my assets due to the simple risks and lifestyle associated with chemical dependency.
Unfortunately for you, you wouldn't even know they use pot. I personally know financial advisers, lawyers, executives and others who could be your neighbors who use pot. Your babysitter and financial adviser may be using but you will not know it because they are normal, law abiding and productive citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies