Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:43 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times

Advertisements

Long story short, a Schwarzenegger appointment to a post went to Idaho to hunt a cougar. Bagged a cougar. A photo of him holding his dead cougar was posted online. Now Democrats have decided this constitutes grounds for his resignation. Why? Because hunting mountain lions is illegal... in California.

Cougar hunter target of try to oust him from post (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=%2Fc%2Fa%2F2012%2F02%2F29%2FBAU11NE3 J0.DTL - broken link)

But what if he went to some state where it's legal to smoke in a bar and photographs himself doing that. He should surely be fired, right?

And gambling. What if someone went to Las Vegas for the weekend and someone photographed them at a roulette or craps table? Surely they would arrested for gambling once they returned to California, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 12:44 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Long story short, a Schwarzenegger appointment to a post went to Idaho to hunt a cougar. Bagged a cougar. A photo of him holding his dead cougar was posted online. Now Democrats have decided this constitutes grounds for his resignation. Why? Because hunting mountain lions is illegal... in California.

Cougar hunter target of try to oust him from post (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=%2Fc%2Fa%2F2012%2F02%2F29%2FBAU11NE3 J0.DTL - broken link)

But what if he went to some state where it's legal to smoke in a bar and photographs himself doing that. He should surely be fired, right?

And gambling. What if someone went to Las Vegas for the weekend and someone photographed them at a roulette or craps table? Surely they would arrested for gambling once they returned to California, right?
I hunt for Cougars but it's usually in a bar or the supermarket.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:49 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times
More liberal lunacy from a failed state.

And who could care less if it's a trophy kill or if he eats mountain lion. He was within his legal rights to do so. He paid Idaho's price for the out of state permits and did what normal people do. Critics don't appreciate the gambling comparisons because they know it makes sense. Hold him to a higher standard my ass. Politicians are such garbage. Sometimes reading news on this forum makes me want to vomit.

The left is really walking on a slippery slope here. Wackjobs for sure.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:50 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Hey its Kalifornia what do you expect.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:58 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Interesting article. I agree that this gentleman should not be forced to resign due to his hunting cougar in another state, where it is legal.

I do question his judgement: paying $7,000.00 to go to Idaho, and follow dogs who corner cougars in a tree, where the mighty hunter can then shoot up into the tree, killing said big cat.

I once was in a lodge listening to some clown yap about his black bear hunt: he was driven about in a jeep, following dogs, who soon cornered a black bear up in a tree. Our hunter got out of his jeep, strolled over to the tree, and shot the bear. He then made some statement about how dangerous hunting bear was.

I (much younger and bolder then) could not help but say "Dangerous? It sounds like the only danger you were in was from having a dead bear fall out of a tree onto you". Mighty hunter moved to another table. I believe he paid some $5,000 for the right to shoot the bear (back in early 1980s; at a place now owned by Ted Turner on far northern New Mexico, right on the Colorado border; beautiful country; I went for the fishing and nature).

Old 03-01-2012, 01:08 PM

The age of consent in California is 18. If he goes to Canada and has sex with a 16 year old girl would people feel the same? Probably, but not as many. The question isn't whether or not it's legal. The question is whether or not it's appropriate.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:13 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
The age of consent in California is 18. If he goes to Canada and has sex with a 16 year old girl would people feel the same? Probably, but not as many. The question isn't whether or not it's legal. The question is whether or not it's appropriate.
And which is it?

Old 03-01-2012, 01:33 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
The question isn't whether or not it's legal. The question is whether or not it's appropriate.
Poor judgment is no grounds for forced resignation. If it was, there would be no politicians in this country.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Poor judgment is no grounds for forced resignation. If it was, there would be no politicians in this country.
I agree. I am just seeing what people think if we are talking about him having sex with a 16 year old girl.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
And which is it?

YouTube is blocked at my work

What does a video of a Mountain Lion attacking a Deer have to do with Cougar hunting legally? I just wanted to see the point.

I think it was a dumb decision so no....not appropriate but also not something to resign over either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies