Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:18 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,448 times

Advertisements

The Blunt Amendment was a travesty that opened the door not only to anti-contraception folks, but would allow employers to deny any kind of health coverage they morally objected to.

Quote:
‎"In Vermont and around the country, there is growing anger that members of Congress, mostly men I should add, are trying to roll back the clock on women's rights, in this case the right of women to receive contraceptive services through their insurance plans. This attack is grossly unfair, and I hope that men will stand with women in the fight to protect this very basic right. Let me add my strong belief that if the United States Senate had 83 women and 17 men rather than 83 men and 17 women, my strong guess is that a bill like this would never even make it to the floor."

- Sen. Sanders speaking about Sen. Roy Blunt's amendment that would let employers and insurers opt out of provisions in the health care law if they have religious objections.

What if There Were 83 Women Senators? - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 05:18 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,392,657 times
if you take Federal money, you play by Federal rules.

Stop taking federal money and shut the eff up.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:19 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,398 times
The Church should just ignore that provision. Civil Disobedience.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:27 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well then just who is paying for all those "free contraceptives" for women ?
I'd guess with the SAVINGS from reduced abortions AND births. If birth control, something very cheap, prevents a few hundred thousand births and abortions I think the insurance companies come out way ahead.

Probably a lot cheaper than a hundred million chastity belts.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:31 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Senate Votes Against Religious Freedom 51-48

Moments ago, the Democratic-controlled Senate led by Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada (pictured at the right) refused to restore religious liberty for all Americans, including our Catholic schools, hospitals, and charitable ministries. The roll call is below.

Senator Roy Blunt's amendment was offered to stop President Obama's unprecedented assault on our religious liberty. Obama's HHS mandate will soon force every employer, including Catholic hospitals, universities and religious organizations to pay for insurance policies that will offer contraception and abortion drugs for their employees.

How is the Catholics seeking a special exemption from the law not giving preference to one religion over another, which is constitutionally prohibited?

Old 03-01-2012, 05:31 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I'd guess with the SAVINGS from reduced abortions AND births. If birth control, something very cheap, prevent a few hundred thousand births and abortions I think the insurance companies come out way ahead.
Personal responsibility seems to be a foreign concept, eh?
I shouldn't be paying for anyone's baby killing, baby having or baby prevention.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I'd guess with the SAVINGS from reduced abortions AND births. If birth control, something very cheap, prevents a few hundred thousand births and abortions I think the insurance companies come out way ahead.

Probably a lot cheaper than a hundred million chastity belts.
Abortion is NOT covered so try again.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:35 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Or, better yet, they should add the provision to their policy and not use it. Then if one of their employees wishes to use it they can.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Let's wait and see the reaction on Muslims not providing ANY insurance because insurance is forbidden in their religion.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:40 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Good.

Another win for equal treatment for all.

Not sure what you mean by 'religious organizations' but churches are and always were exempt.
Not sure what you mean by equal treatment? Taking money from my pocket to pay for your birth control? Sure sounds like a fair plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies