Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:22 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Being six months unemployed and behind on his child support payments, Davis also comes here by a court order mandating that he be trained in skills that will lead to work, like creating a resume, preparing for interviews and hunting for jobs online.

For many young people born into the cyclic deprivations of urban poverty -- failing schools, broken families, lack of jobs, violence, crime and drugs -- such lessons come far too late in life. While Davis aspires to become a barber one day (he cuts his friends' hair, he says), at 23, he is already locked hard onto a path that will make that dream extremely difficult to realize.

Statistically speaking, Davis, like his parents, faces surprisingly high odds against ever escaping from poverty -- regardless of what happens in the wider economy.
Behind on child support payments? Why does he have a child in the first place? Court ordered training?! He's 23, unemployed, and chose the thug life instead of high school! This is 100% HIS fault and 100% HIS problem to fix!

Quote:
For policymakers of all stripes, it has often proved remarkably easy to characterize chronic poverty as a failure of character, a product of dependence on government largesse, or both. Such thinking defined the wholesale reformation of welfare under the administration of President Bill Clinton 15 years ago, and it continues to inform the rhetoric of Republican candidates now vying for the White House.
For once, policymakers have the right idea. They SHOULD go after deadbeats and perpetual losers and throw them off the rolls. Sink or swim! But not on my dime!!

Kudos to the GOP for fighting this epidemic. It's a proven fact that we can't rely on Democrats or Liberals to try to solve the problem. In fact, they encouage personal irresponsibilty at ever opportunity!

Quote:
Given epidemics of what can appear to be inexplicable choices by those mired in hard times -- multiple teen pregnancies, dropping out of high school -- such unsympathetic viewpoints can resonate. On the ground, though, social workers, activists, poverty researchers and struggling Americans like Davis describe a situation that is infinitely more complex.

From their view, the so-called safety-net, while effective in preventing atrocities of hunger familiar to other continents, can also act like a web, trapping its poorest patrons in a tangle of conditional services, conflicting requirements and punishing penalties that conspire to keep them poor -- often very poor.
You're damn right there's no sympathy! I'm extremely tired of this Bull Schit in America. Who will stop this revolving door? It only takes ONE PERSON to stop the revolving door.....ONE PERSON to do the right thing.....and yet it persists.

Where is PERSONAL RESPONSIBILTY IN THIS EQUATION??!!

Disgusting what this nation has become!

For America's Least Fortunate, The Grip Of Poverty Spans Generations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 09:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
At 23 not many have grasped the "personal responsibility" meme.
They are still young with not a care in the world.
But in this case he has a child to support.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
At 23 a person is plenty old enough to grasp "personal responsibility." It has everything to do with not being taught personal responsibility. And that's the problem.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
The same ones who did it just a few generations back who often had parents who didn't even speak english when they arrived.No governamnt can do this ;its individual as we have seen time and again.My family is a example ;IMO. MtY father dropped out of school because his afteher died when he was 13. He had nine other younger brothers and sistes. he went to work and worked for the next 48 years until retirement. My bother and I were the first to attend and complete college.The same is still happenign very day and that is the future. Now if we can just get styudents interested i what degrees wil be needed to advance in coming years. One thignI noted today seeig spending ON space program as per centage of GDP ;It sharply went down after 1965 and along with that the maths and science s started to decease as degrees. Those have been identified as the two highest needs i coming years by both parties.Often it takes inspiration from a younger age and goal to creat what ends in innovation creation .We stil are benefittign in IMO from the ealry 60 on space exploration in mnay thinsg that come form that advature we started then.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The same ones who did it just a few generations back who often had parents who didn't even speak english when they arrived.No governamnt can do this ;its individual as we have seen time and again.My family is a example ;IMO. MtY father dropped out of school because his afteher died when he was 13. He had nine other younger brothers and sistes. he went to work and worked for the next 48 years until retirement. My bother and I were the first to attend and complete college.The same is still happenign very day and that is the future. Now if we can just get styudents interested i what degrees wil be needed to advance in coming years. One thignI noted today seeig spending ON space program as per centage of GDP ;It sharply went down after 1965 and along with that the maths and science s started to decease as degrees. Those have been identified as the two highest needs i coming years by both parties.Often it takes inspiration from a younger age and goal to creat what ends in innovation creation .We stil are benefittign in IMO from the ealry 60 on space exploration in mnay thinsg that come form that advature we started then.
Exactly right, it does start with the individual. It only takes one man to step up to the plate and marry his baby mama and be a father figure. A child with a good father figure will more likely do the same thing. This has been proven time and time again. ONE MAN can make a difference in an entire limb of the family tree and have a positive impact on society! And if large groups of men step up, the multiplier effect can do amazing things for us as a country.

To be clear, women have a long way to go as well. One such improvement would be to take all the precautions necessary to not get pregnant until the right life infrastructure is in place, including money!

Old 03-01-2012, 09:53 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm 23 and personally responsible.

Hence no children.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I'm 23 and personally responsible.

Hence no children.
Exactly! So what's so hard for the rest of humanity to grasp about the concept of personal responsibility?

Old 03-02-2012, 07:35 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post

Now...if you can just find these folks a job which pays enough to support a family, maybe we can replicate your father's experience.

Ooops. Sorry. He'd have to go to China now because that's where our jobs are.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Now...if you can just find these folks a job which pays enough to support a family, maybe we can replicate your father's experience.

Ooops. Sorry. He'd have to go to China now because that's where our jobs are.
I believe even you know that what you've spewed here is nonsense.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:40 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
How can it be that he has a child? He's been learning to put a condom on a banana since what, 6th grade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies