Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Shame on you for that isolationist attitude.

Exactly how are the Californian transplants sending Coeur d.Alene into a spiral. Are they unemployed non-English speaking illegal aliens?
The biggest issues are driving up costs and increasing regulations. In Kootenai county, you used to be able to walk into the building department, the planners would review your plans, and unless you had an "odd" design that didn't follow standard building practices, the planners would approve your plans and you were good to go. Not any more...all plans must be approved by a PE. Fees have gone from ~$1000-$1500 to about $5000. "Stormwater management" plans must be put in place, in many cases even on rural property. Like most things from CA....common sense has been tossed out the window.

Our tax rates are still way too high. Hopefully the top 3-4 brackets will go away and we can get rates down below 5%.

Tax Bracket (Single) [1]Tax Bracket (Couple) [1]Marginal Tax Rate
$0+ $0+ 1.60%
$1,323+ $2,646+ 3.60%
$2,642+ $5,284+ 4.20%
$3,963+ $7,926+ 5.10%
$5,284+ $10,568+ 6.20%
$6,604+ $13,208+ 7.10%
$9,907+ $19,814+ 7.40%
$26,418+ $52,836+ 7.80%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 09:15 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The biggest issues are driving up costs and increasing regulations. In Kootenai county, you used to be able to walk into the building department, the planners would review your plans, and unless you had an "odd" design that didn't follow standard building practices, the planners would approve your plans and you were good to go. Not any more...all plans must be approved by a PE. Fees have gone from ~$1000-$1500 to about $5000. "Stormwater management" plans must be put in place, in many cases even on rural property. Like most things from CA....common sense has been tossed out the window.
I lived in Coeur d'Alene briefly in the mid 90s. It was a very nice place. Like a lot of folks there, I was a recent California transplant. I understand it has gone really down hill over the past two decades. Don't blame this on "libs" though. Most Californians who move to Idaho are Republicans. It's just growth -- it's what happens when towns get too big. I remember how awesome it was to get a driver's license at the DMV. I just walked in, walked up to the counter, and was served. So nice -- so different than the congested California town I grew up in. The DMV in CDA is CDA probably sucks now -- don't blame me though. I left to seek my fortune even further afield.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:17 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
So California transplants are securing positions of leadership in local government thus changing local policy and procedures. Got it.

If you want new businesses especially larger corporations to move in from out of state that is going to happen. One of the unintended consequences.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I lived in Coeur d'Alene briefly in the mid 90s. It was a very nice place. Like a lot of folks there, I was a recent California transplant. I understand it has gone really down hill over the past two decades. Don't blame this on "libs" though. Most Californians who move to Idaho are Republicans. It's just growth -- it's what happens when towns get too big. I remember how awesome it was to get a driver's license at the DMV. I just walked in, walked up to the counter, and was served. So nice -- so different than the congested California town I grew up in. The DMV in CDA is CDA probably sucks now -- don't blame me though. I left to seek my fortune even further afield.
Oh, I'm whining a bit...CDA is still a nice place. And not crowded by most standards, just a lot more so than it was. I moved in from NYS in the mid-90 as well, before the boom, so I'm part of the "problem". The DMV is an example of things going downhill though...the wait to renew a license can be 2-3 hours...not minutes anymore. I live up closer to Sandpoint, it's still "walk in" and usually no wait.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:21 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm whining a bit...CDA is still a nice place. And not crowded by most standards, just a lot more so than it was. I moved in from NYS in the mid-90 as well, before the boom, so I'm part of the "problem". The DMV is an example of things going downhill though...the wait to renew a license can be 2-3 hours...not minutes anymore. I live up closer to Sandpoint, it's still "walk in" and usually no wait.
It's a very beautiful area. I guess the curse of living in such a nice place is that others are going to want to join you.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
IMHO - No one making less than 100k should be paying ANY state income or Federal for that matter, Income Taxes. Put the taxes on all income above the 90th percentile and let the owners of the place pay for the maintenance.

Idaho sounds like NH as we have been infested with Massachusetts Republicans cashing out on the boom and taking their money with them. Unfortunately nobody making less than a 150k can afford to move into southern NH these days.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
So California transplants are securing positions of leadership in local government thus changing local policy and procedures. Got it.

If you want new businesses especially larger corporations to move in from out of state that is going to happen. One of the unintended consequences.
Well...not so much. The current city leadership is in bed with the hospitality industry, and in the pocket some of the large hotel owners. Tourism is one of the larger industries in town. As such, they do a lot to promote that industry...yet are pretty "anti" when it comes to manufacturing. They hold steel fabricators in the local industrial part (somewhat rural and out of down-town) to the same "astetic" standards as the tourist core, with expensive permits, mandates for landscaping, etc and lots of red tape to jump through. I know companies that are looking to move out of the city because of it.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:11 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Well...not so much. The current city leadership is in bed with the hospitality industry, and in the pocket some of the large hotel owners. Tourism is one of the larger industries in town. As such, they do a lot to promote that industry...yet are pretty "anti" when it comes to manufacturing. They hold steel fabricators in the local industrial part (somewhat rural and out of down-town) to the same "astetic" standards as the tourist core, with expensive permits, mandates for landscaping, etc and lots of red tape to jump through. I know companies that are looking to move out of the city because of it.
Gotcha. Makes sense. Fairly routine method of operation here in California.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:

Yes they are. And you are saying that the only way Idaho can get corporations is to have people from California running the local governments!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:58 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IMHO - No one making less than 100k should be paying ANY state income or Federal for that matter, Income Taxes. Put the taxes on all income above the 90th percentile and let the owners of the place pay for the maintenance.

Idaho sounds like NH as we have been infested with Massachusetts Republicans cashing out on the boom and taking their money with them. Unfortunately nobody making less than a 150k can afford to move into southern NH these days.
Idaho is a conservative state. That is being infested with liberals! Btw.
Everyone should contribute in TAXES even if it is just a little it all adds up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies