Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 05:31 PM

391 posts, read 513,531 times

Advertisements

For YEARS (15+) I have taught history and civics without EVER telling my students my personal political views. I have always refused to answer the questions "who did you vote for" or what do you think about...". I have always presented (and will continue to do so) both sides fairly and acurately. I even have had kids in the past give me books like "Tears of a Clown" by Glenn Beck and "Godless: The Church of Liberalism" by Coulter to read. Many of them probably assumed that I was conservative because I did't hide the fact that I was a Christian. I never wanted to have any influence on them by stating my own peference.

I have now come out of the closet, and will admit I'm a Democrat, because of the Republican candidates (not including Ron Paul). I've done this because I don't want them to think that I would have anything to do with these..... well, I'll be nice and call them people. I will now let them know that I will vote Obama. I will let them know that I like Ron Paul and respect his views, and I could be happy with him as president (but he's a bit radical).

The right wing has just gotten insane and I won't allow any of my students to have the mistaken idea that I would support any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 05:41 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,136,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
For YEARS (15+) I have taught history and civics without EVER telling my students my personal political views. I have always refused to answer the questions "who did you vote for" or what do you think about...". I have always presented (and will continue to do so) both sides fairly and acurately. I even have had kids in the past give me books like "Tears of a Clown" by Glenn Beck and "Godless: The Church of Liberalism" by Coulter to read. Many of them probably assumed that I was conservative because I did't hide the fact that I was a Christian. I never wanted to have any influence on them by stating my own peference.

I have now come out of the closet, and will admit I'm a Democrat, because of the Republican candidates (not including Ron Paul). I've done this because I don't want them to think that I would have anything to do with these..... well, I'll be nice and call them people. I will now let them know that I will vote Obama. I will let them know that I like Ron Paul and respect his views, and I could be happy with him as president (but he's a bit radical).

The right wing has just gotten insane and I won't allow any of my students to have the mistaken idea that I would support any of them.
Great, another brain washer out in the open. Get em while theyre early....

Old 03-02-2012, 05:41 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
As long as you keep your politics out of the classroom. You were hired to educate, not indoctrinate. If you want to indoctrinate leave your job and get into politics full time.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:43 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,194 times
Quote:

Nothing wrong with stating this but I have to agree with the poster above me. So long as you don't attempt to indoctrinate your students one way or the other then this is fine. Good on you though

Old 03-02-2012, 05:44 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,162 times
I don't believe you. If you would push you views on the children now then you always pushed your views on your students. You should be ashamed of yourself. You are another reason for folks to home school their children.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:49 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,172 times
You must be the teacher that will roll the condom on the banana while the 14 year olds giggle.

Quote:

Old 03-02-2012, 05:51 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,192,463 times
Good for you OP.....+1

Old 03-02-2012, 05:51 PM

391 posts, read 513,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
I don't believe you. If you would push you views on the children now then you always pushed your views on your students. You should be ashamed of yourself. You are another reason for folks to home school their children.
First, believe me or not, I have always and will remain neutral in my teaching. I just will no longer hide my own political leaning. When I'm asked, I'll admit to being a democrat. Second, I present the parties using their own platforms, published by them. I show their debates, without comment. I ask them their opinions. And, ask them to learn about these things from primary sources.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:52 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
What you believe is irrelevant in this case. I had a US Government teacher back in high school who I *knew* was Republican but he always presented both sides of the story depending on what the majority of the class was. He never pushed any views onto us whatsoever.

Same with this guy.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:57 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,809,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Great, another brain washer out in the open. Get em while theyre early....
If kids are bringing them Beck and Coulter books, the right wing seeds of ignorance have clearly already been planted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies