Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 06:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I think it is terrible as well, but maybe you don't keep rebuilding in the path of tornadoes?

Or is that too out there of a concept?
Are you talking about "tornado alley"..that path ?
How many of those states that just got hit are in "that path" ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 06:48 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Are you talking about "tornado alley"..that path ?
How many of those states that just got hit are in "that path" ?
Tornadoes pop up all over from NY to Florida to all over the midwest. Sirens come on you go outside and look around hoping to see one. lol

Old 03-02-2012, 06:51 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Did I say the government should go in and build every tom, dick and harry a shelter? NO! But the government sure as hell could make it convenient and financially feasible for people to invest in that type of preparedness in the form of tax breaks etc. Sorry but as a responsible intelligent tax paying American I get sick of funding beauracracies like FEMA and high insurance premiums because people are too stupid or too stubborn to do it themselves. So if these people are going to rely on the government to bail them out AFTER THE FACT they should be forced to make some sort of preparation before hand.

You're the same type of tough guy that would probably sit around sucking his thumb waiting for the government gravy train of MREs and FEMA showers after a natural disaster. I love citizens that talk tough like you and are so anti-government until a disaster strikes in his or her own backyard and you're the first with your hand out waiting for free food, shelter, clothing, money etc.

I don't like bailing out stupidity any more than the next guy. But I think if we revert back to the survival of the fittest mentality most Americans couldn't stomach the results.

I agree. Hey that soccer fiedl built where again, how much was the cost.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:59 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,628 times
The significance of this outbreak was well known ahead of time. People are too busy to pay attention it seems. Anyway the bankers got their 29 trillion in welfare bailouts therefore we can't rebuild, we just have to accept genocidal austerity measures so bankers like Jamie Dimon can pay himself billions in bonuses.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:06 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Tornadoes pop up all over from NY to Florida to all over the midwest. Sirens come on you go outside and look around hoping to see one. lol
We're all in the path of tornado's and it's obvious OP has no idea how it all works. Those storms usually cut a narrow path and you never know when you're going to be hit.

Typical person who believes the Govt should tax us to protect us. They must be from California.

BTW, there is no such thing as an active tornado zone. That's 80% of the US.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:23 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
.................I mean I don't get it. These people act like tornadoes are a 21st century phenomena? Why aren't there billions being invested in underground shelters? Why aren't these people being given HUGE tax credits to build their houses more efficiently in tornado prone areas like half way underground? Huge tax credits and government grants for cities to be well prepared with hardened structures underneath schools etc. ......................
Actually, there is (or was) government assistance/credits available for building a hardened storm structure:

FEMA: Residential Safe Room Initiatives (http://www.fema.gov/plan/prevent/saferoom/resinit.shtm - broken link)

Additionally individual states do offer tax credits for the building of saferooms/storm shelters from time to time.

In my part of the midwest the schools have storm shelters. In older schools many of these originated as bomb shelters from the WWII and Cuban Missle Crisis eras. The ones in my school had the nuclear fallout shelter sign. Of course they were really just the gym dressing rooms. Stinky!

Geology does not allow for underground shelters everywhere. However, in recent years the development of above ground saferoom facilities which are rated for up to an EF4 have become a reality. These cost big $$ and are best if integrated into new construction or as an addition.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:40 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Geez........my heart goes out to the people in southeast and midwest. Maybe now instead of sending their young boys and girls off to war they might get up off their rear ends and demand our government start spending money domestically on things like Earthquake preparedness, tornado and natural disaster preparedness, jobs, protecting and rebuidling our inftrastructure. If this damage is indicative of anything it is how wholly unpreparded this country is, one of the wealthiest in the nation, for natural disasters.

I mean I don't get it. These people act like tornadoes are a 21st century phenomena? Why aren't there billions being invested in underground shelters? Why aren't these people being given HUGE tax credits to build their houses more efficiently in tornado prone areas like half way underground? Huge tax credits and government grants for cities to be well prepared with hardened structures underneath schools etc.

America is a f'ing joke. We spend billions on Israel, foreign aid, useless and futile wars yet a tornado can come through in the middle of any town in the midwest and turn it into a paper mache.

This hits home because I work in a hospital in SoCal and if there was ever an earthquake in this area you would see CHAOS! Not only is our hospital COMPLETELY unprepared for a big fallout of a major quake it's obvious the entire half of the state is.

I realize the veracity and rapidity with which tornadoes strike but come on. Schools, neighborhoods, etc. should have ALL types of shelters that can withstand a nuclear blast. This is ridiculous in this day and age in one of the most innovative and wealthiest countries in the world we are experiencing ENTIRE TOWNS being leveled by tornadoes.
I feel for everyone who has lost anything due to the storms, but in case you are interested, this is a STATE'S issues, not a federal one.

Additionally, a tornado can turn MOST buildings into paper mache. I saw a building with 18" concrete walls and 18" internal beams, built during WW2 turned into a pile a rubble by a tornado, and this building was was STURDY!

Last edited by Darkatt; 03-02-2012 at 07:55 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 07:47 PM

288 posts, read 283,457 times
The truth is no place in America or the world is safe from a natural disaster..

Old 03-02-2012, 07:52 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Did I say the government should go in and build every tom, dick and harry a shelter? NO! But the government sure as hell could make it convenient and financially feasible for people to invest in that type of preparedness in the form of tax breaks etc. Sorry but as a responsible intelligent tax paying American I get sick of funding beauracracies like FEMA and high insurance premiums because people are too stupid or too stubborn to do it themselves. So if these people are going to rely on the government to bail them out AFTER THE FACT they should be forced to make some sort of preparation before hand.

You're the same type of tough guy that would probably sit around sucking his thumb waiting for the government gravy train of MREs and FEMA showers after a natural disaster. I love citizens that talk tough like you and are so anti-government until a disaster strikes in his or her own backyard and you're the first with your hand out waiting for free food, shelter, clothing, money etc.

I don't like bailing out stupidity any more than the next guy. But I think if we revert back to the survival of the fittest mentality most Americans couldn't stomach the results.
Well, I can't speak to KUchief25, but personally, I have 2 cases of my OWN MRE's, distilled water, a butane stove with 2 dozen canisters of butane to power it, and another 3 cases of emergency provisions, batteries, candles, radio, and a whole host of other items. I have enough to support my family for 2 months, without requiring assistance.

Oh, and just to really wind you up, there are 4 knives, (2 fairbarn sykes, a gerber MKI and a gerber MKII, and 2 guns with ammo. If necessary I can hunt for food, and then cook it, as well as protect my family.

I am not anti government, I am anti stupid. Everyone should have plans in place, an emergency preparedness kit, several planned escape routes and have gone over it with family members.

I am willing to revert to survival of the fittest...

Old 03-02-2012, 07:55 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I am willing to revert to survival of the fittest...
And we may all need to when Obama says he deserves a 3rd term to finish all the good programs he's started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies