Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:13 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So in your eyes the government should provide an underground shelter for every home in tornado ally? LOL. Most insane post of the day.

Hey we better have the government build everyone an escape pod too in case an asteroid hits the earth.
Actually, we would be happy to use the money we send to Israel to help those in America whose homes were ruined by natural disasters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 10:17 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So in your eyes the government should provide an underground shelter for every home in tornado ally? LOL. Most insane post of the day.

Hey we better have the government build everyone an escape pod too in case an asteroid hits the earth.
Well we send Israel a lot of money and this is what Israel does with it:

Quote:
TEL AVIV, Israel — Underneath the plaza outside Israel’s Habima national theater, Israel has put the finishing touches on a new gathering place that it hopes will never host a crowd: the country’s most advanced public underground bomb shelter.
Quote:
The shelter, four stories underground and with space for 1,600 people, is usually a parking lot. It is also part of Tel Aviv’s elaborate civil defense infrastructure.
Israel unveils sophisticated shelters in Tel Aviv, a likely Iran target - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/israel-unveils-sophisticated-shelters-in-tel-aviv-a-likely-iran-target/2012/03/01/gIQAuPMkjR_story.html - broken link)

Old 03-03-2012, 10:22 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
I live in "Tornado Alley," and it's quite true that a tornado can happen anywhere in the U.S.; the water spouts sometimes seen are merely tornados over the water. Six people died just 30 miles from us, and my neighbor spent the afternoon with me until the weather cleared. The OP is right in wanting the National Guard back in the States, doing sandbagging and search and rescue work as they had done for many years; they're
sorely missed. That's part of the reason that the response to Hurricane
Katrina was so inadequate, IMHO. I've grown up hearing stories of the Tri-state tornado in 1925. We have a walk-out basement and the upper floor is reinforced with two I beams, so we're fortunate. The trailer parks and
homes built on concrete slabs have it hardest. And it might surprise some, but it isn't cheap or easy to build an effective "storm cellar," as we call them.

Tri-State Tornado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the case of apartments, mobile home communities and other multi-residental private developments I think this responsibility should be shouldered by the developer/owner and could be funded through rental/homes association fees. If FEMA or state agencies are willing to underwrite tax credits (voter bond approval) or loans to be paid back over a period, I have no problem with that. Such requirement could be easily written into local/county/state building codes. IMO, it is more important to offer this in a development than a swimming pool. YMMV

The real problem arises with older developments with barely the funds to maintain current property, much less build a major improvement. Again, communities need to take the lead here, not federal bureaucracy.

Built inside a mobile home they don't have to take up any more room than that "garden tub".
http://www.smartsheltersinc.com/tornado-storm-shelters

Old 03-03-2012, 10:24 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
The significance of this outbreak was well known ahead of time. People are too busy to pay attention it seems. Anyway the bankers got their 29 trillion in welfare bailouts therefore we can't rebuild, we just have to accept genocidal austerity measures so bankers like Jamie Dimon can pay himself billions in bonuses.
It makes me sick to know this and worse to know we can't really do anything about it because we don't all stick together. We really aren't that much different from the citizens in Countries where they have dictators taking and ruling from them. It's just covered up and, in a way, more covered up here and let's face it most americans are easily distracted and have a short attention span.

We can't expect the Gov't to help us have bomb shelters or some kind of underground shelter for all of us on our own property and as LauraC pointed out there isn't much time to get to a community one. but we should expect the Gov't to immediately come in and help with the aftermath of such catastrophe's. Food, water, toiletries for both male and female are import when people have lost everything.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:10 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
The government posts free shelter plans on their website. Get digging.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:55 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I hope you are all OK!
THANKS Kat Doing better than some...we just drove backroads from Marion to our place...volunteers are all over the back country helping out...these are good people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Where is Pat Robertson and his Fundamentalist followers screaming divine wrath? Oh, right, this was another outbreak in the Bible Belt. That's God's promised land, so this was an unfortunate accident. Had it been an earthquake in California, the gays would have been to blame.

Aside from that hypocrisy...

Very unfortunate. Tornadoes can strike anywhere, so it's kinda hard to not build in their path. Not the same as Earthquakes and Hurricanes.
My wife and I just saw dozens upon dozens of bikers supposedly headed to meet up with the Westboro idiots who are supposed to be protesting funerals in the H'burg area...I hope they stomp the everloving hell out of them if they show up...Westboro will find it hard to get anyone from the Sheriff's office to side with them in Saline county I'd say..

With signs and flags, community rallies to block threat of Westboro Baptist Church - Peoria, IL - pjstar.com

Old 03-03-2012, 12:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
Oh wow I thought there was more of a warning today from the news when they are coming. Or at least heading in the general area.
I guess you've never lived in tornado country. They'll put an area under a watch, where the conditions exist for the development of a tornado, that can go on for hours; then there's a warning, which means one is out there. The sirens go off and you are supposed to take cover. The thing is, under a watch, you don't even know if a tornado will develop, let alone where it will strike. Life just goes on.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:35 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I guess you've never lived in tornado country. They'll put an area under a watch, where the conditions exist for the development of a tornado, that can go on for hours; then there's a warning, which means one is out there. The sirens go off and you are supposed to take cover. The thing is, under a watch, you don't even know if a tornado will develop, let alone where it will strike. Life just goes on.
Exactly...and that's IF it's the right time of day...this one rolled passed our place around 5am..(it sounded like the biggest,slowest idling Huey helicopter you've ever heard)..night is hell to be in a tornado WARNED area...you can't see them,doppler "indicates" them and 90% they do not actually hit the ground.

We've caught it hardcore around here...devastating ice storms,100mph Derecho,several tornadoes,flood after flood..this all in just the past couple years..my place was totalled back in May of last year in a storm as were dozens of more places in this immediate vicinity...I'm starting to think GOD may be a little pissed at us around here for something

Old 03-03-2012, 01:13 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
A shelter, no. A simple $20.00 radio, why not? I get what the OP is staying. It seems in order for America to even try not to devolve into a third world country, we have to spend, spend, spend. We have given billions upon billions to banks, auto companies, unions, local and municipal governments, foreign governments, policing the world, pro-sport team owners, etc.. Wouldn't at least some of this printed, must spend money be spent better helping our own people?

I wouldn't mind an underground shelter. They costs like $5,000 for the newer garage floor ones being installed. I wouldn't mind some sort of tax credit for installing one. Too bad I'm not a pro-sports team owner. Governments have no problem giving them hundreds of millions to build stadiums so they can stay in business.
More of the waaaaaaaaaaa it's not fair battle cry. I, I , I. Go buy yourself a pro sports team if you want a stadium. Last I checked the government doesn't build em a stadium the citizens vote on doing it. Go buy YOURSELF a $20 radio don't expect others to provide you with one. Will you even turn it on all hours of the day to prepare for this dreaded tornado coming your way? I doubt it. Probably will let the batteries run out then the one day you need it try and turn it on and cry that the government should have provided you with an extra pack of batteries.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:15 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Well we send Israel a lot of money and this is what Israel does with it:

Israel unveils sophisticated shelters in Tel Aviv, a likely Iran target - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/israel-unveils-sophisticated-shelters-in-tel-aviv-a-likely-iran-target/2012/03/01/gIQAuPMkjR_story.html - broken link)
We don't get rockets shot at us everyday like Israel does. I guess if we did folks would look a little more into bomb shelters. Your argument is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies