Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 06:15 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,921 times

Advertisements

Geez........my heart goes out to the people in southeast and midwest. Maybe now instead of sending their young boys and girls off to war they might get up off their rear ends and demand our government start spending money domestically on things like Earthquake preparedness, tornado and natural disaster preparedness, jobs, protecting and rebuidling our inftrastructure. If this damage is indicative of anything it is how wholly unpreparded this country is, one of the wealthiest in the nation, for natural disasters.

I mean I don't get it. These people act like tornadoes are a 21st century phenomena? Why aren't there billions being invested in underground shelters? Why aren't these people being given HUGE tax credits to build their houses more efficiently in tornado prone areas like half way underground? Huge tax credits and government grants for cities to be well prepared with hardened structures underneath schools etc.

America is a f'ing joke. We spend billions on Israel, foreign aid, useless and futile wars yet a tornado can come through in the middle of any town in the midwest and turn it into a paper mache.

This hits home because I work in a hospital in SoCal and if there was ever an earthquake in this area you would see CHAOS! Not only is our hospital COMPLETELY unprepared for a big fallout of a major quake it's obvious the entire half of the state is.

I realize the veracity and rapidity with which tornadoes strike but come on. Schools, neighborhoods, etc. should have ALL types of shelters that can withstand a nuclear blast. This is ridiculous in this day and age in one of the most innovative and wealthiest countries in the world we are experiencing ENTIRE TOWNS being leveled by tornadoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 06:16 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
I think it is terrible as well, but maybe you don't keep rebuilding in the path of tornadoes?

Or is that too out there of a concept?

Old 03-02-2012, 06:19 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I think it is terrible as well, but maybe you don't keep rebuilding in the path of tornadoes?

We keep sticking or nose in the cebturies old conflicts in the ME with no results, mahy as well take care of the home front first

Old 03-02-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post

Path of a tornado? How can you say that? Tornadoes can pop up ANYWHERE in the midwest, southeast etc. How the heck would people know where to build? The bigger question is why doesn't EVERY household in ANY tornado prone area have some sort of underground bunker or shelter? I'd hate to say it should be mandatory as I hate government meddling in the lives of Americans but if Americans are too lazy and too unprepared to do it themselves well...........

One thing you see is many of these towns have fairly new buildings, schools, etc. And it seems many of these "new" structures are built worse and less secure than older structures.

I love to hear people make fun of the new "prepping" movement. It really shows just how unprepared and clueless many Americans really are. If I lived in a tornado prone area you bet your lilly a@# I'd have a deep underground shelter, safe room, or whatever. I think the most important thing to take away from this is with global climate change these types of weather calamities will be much more intense and frequent. We as a country better start prioritizing.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:24 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
So in your eyes the government should provide an underground shelter for every home in tornado ally? LOL. Most insane post of the day.

Hey we better have the government build everyone an escape pod too in case an asteroid hits the earth.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
The federal government has it role in disters but really don't want it gettig nymore involved in insurance. Didn't we learn anythig from Freddie and Fannie?

Old 03-02-2012, 06:28 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Crazy weather day for the Midwest & South Central. I looked at my weather radar and there were 43 severe warnings. Even Sen. Rand Paul got caught up in it today and a CNN meteorologist called to warn him while he was on the road.

Sen. Rand Paul on The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer - 03/02/2012 - YouTube

Old 03-02-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So in your eyes the government should provide an underground shelter for every home in tornado ally? LOL. Most insane post of the day.

Hey we better have the government build everyone an escape pod too in case an asteroid hits the earth.

Did I say the government should go in and build every tom, dick and harry a shelter? NO! But the government sure as hell could make it convenient and financially feasible for people to invest in that type of preparedness in the form of tax breaks etc. Sorry but as a responsible intelligent tax paying American I get sick of funding beauracracies like FEMA and high insurance premiums because people are too stupid or too stubborn to do it themselves. So if these people are going to rely on the government to bail them out AFTER THE FACT they should be forced to make some sort of preparation before hand.

You're the same type of tough guy that would probably sit around sucking his thumb waiting for the government gravy train of MREs and FEMA showers after a natural disaster. I love citizens that talk tough like you and are so anti-government until a disaster strikes in his or her own backyard and you're the first with your hand out waiting for free food, shelter, clothing, money etc.

I don't like bailing out stupidity any more than the next guy. But I think if we revert back to the survival of the fittest mentality most Americans couldn't stomach the results.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:37 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
If people are too stupid to head for the basement then that's their fault. No government provided tax shelter is gonna make em go there.

Did I say anywhere I supported FEMA? Trying to insult me doesn't make your post more rational it makes it even more ridiculous. You think giving builders a tax break for adding a "safe room" will make folks go there? How will they get to said safe room in the middle of the night when a tornado pops up while they're sleeping? It's not like you get a week's warning in a hurricane. You do realize that don't you? What if they're not home? Like I said ............nonsense.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:40 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Path of a tornado? How can you say that? Tornadoes can pop up ANYWHERE in the midwest, southeast etc. How the heck would people know where to build? The bigger question is why doesn't EVERY household in ANY tornado prone area have some sort of underground bunker or shelter? I'd hate to say it should be mandatory as I hate government meddling in the lives of Americans but if Americans are too lazy and too unprepared to do it themselves well...........

One thing you see is many of these towns have fairly new buildings, schools, etc. And it seems many of these "new" structures are built worse and less secure than older structures.

I love to hear people make fun of the new "prepping" movement. It really shows just how unprepared and clueless many Americans really are. If I lived in a tornado prone area you bet your lilly a@# I'd have a deep underground shelter, safe room, or whatever. I think the most important thing to take away from this is with global climate change these types of weather calamities will be much more intense and frequent. We as a country better start prioritizing.
We live in CA and try to buy away from known faults.
When possible people should avoid buying in flood zones and active tornado zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies