Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 06:28 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,169,946 times

Advertisements

I couldn't help but roll my eyes when the OP stated they were from LA.

I'd sooner impale myself with a rusty spike than so much as visit LA. I'd take more urban places like Chicago or NYC any day. As well as any rural area in the midwest or south.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:44 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
I'm talking everyday kinda stuff like going to a store, getting a job etc I'm gonna keep this brief but I made a lot of mistakes as a kid, was in and out of the system for a while and I was marked on my face and hands (I've got them scrubbed off in hopes of turning my luck right). Anyways, I could function almost like a normal man in LA or Detroit. I could enter a shop or burger place before being profiled right out of the door. I remember just chilling on some street in Indiana, in MY CAR, waiting for my girl and someone called the cops in that brief 5 - 10 minute period to report a 'suspicious male.' The cop basically told me, in nice roundabout terms that people like me aren't wanted in these family neighborhoods. Well man **** that, I can relax like a man in those cities. That past, that kid is long dead. I just want to live in peace like everyone else.
Lots of folks made mistakes in their youth. Moving to another city or town where they and their history are not known enabled them to have a nearly fresh start.

The advantages you're citing have more to do with comparative anonymity and a large preoccupied population than any meaningful difference in attitude. By your own examples you're citing large cities vs small towns. You likely would have found the same anonymity in Indianapolis, Cincinnati, or any other large Midwestern city.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:49 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I'm from Chicago, which is in the mid west. Not everyone is like that.

I will tell you this, outside of the Chicago area, you can't find good Italian food anywhere in the mid west. Their idea of good Italian food is spaghetti with ketchup, yuck!!!

Fugetaboutit
Not so fast my friend my wife makes some mean double dish lasagna with ricotta cheese

Old 03-03-2012, 06:51 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Not so fast my friend my wife makes some mean double dish lasagna with ricotta cheese
One can only wonder that the poster in question never heard of The Hill in St Louis.
Ultimate Guide to Dining and Shopping on The Hill in St. Louis

Old 03-03-2012, 06:52 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I'm from Chicago, which is in the mid west. Not everyone is like that.

I will tell you this, outside of the Chicago area, you can't find good Italian food anywhere in the mid west. Their idea of good Italian food is spaghetti with ketchup, yuck!!!

Fugetaboutit
You sound about as clueless as the OP. Good job.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:59 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,112 times
The midwest is the best area of the United States by far in every way possible especially the western side. Kentucky is in the southeast not midwest. California has a terrible climate, way too many people and way too many laws in my opinion.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:10 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
I was being honest. I live in Los Angeles and ive never been to the Mid West. I went to visit a friend who lives there (first time) and i was in shocked, its amazing how different it is from LA or any other cities on this side of the country. I mean, seriously, you dont know what vegan is ??
The missing piece of the puzzle...Everyone I've met from California, both good folks and arrogant folks, has no clue what the rest of the country is like. They live in their own bubble out there, I swear. In that sense they're almost as naive about the world as some sheltered farmer in rural Indiana, they just look more glamorous.

no offense, Hoosiers. Just had to pick a state for my illustration. I like Indiana

Old 03-03-2012, 07:54 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
The midwest is the best area of the United States by far in every way possible especially the western side. Kentucky is in the southeast not midwest. California has a terrible climate, way too many people and way too many laws in my opinion.
California has various climate zones so I would like to see some elaboration on this point. What exactly do you dislike about California's climate? Have you visted all parts of the state? The climate in the Mojave Desert is drastically different then the climate on the Northwest Coast. It is even different than the Sonoran Desert climate, and the deserts are only a 100 or so miles apart. Have you visited the Sierra? Have you been to Los Angeles in the winter where you can ski in the mountains and surf in the Pacific Ocean on the same day?

If you only visited Fresno, for example but not Santa Barbara you would have a very narrow idea of "California climate".

Old 03-03-2012, 08:06 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Why are you so judgmental of people that think and live differently from you?
Yeah, I was just thinking how narrow minded and judgmental the OP is.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:08 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Oh, well. You live in LA, so you must have fake boobs, no job, enjoy gold-digging and be as deep as a frisbee. See? It's not nice to stereotype.
yep and that's just the men, I've heard the women are even worse out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies