Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:06 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Give me a break - if this teacher was a drunk driver - the church would have fired him also and it would never made the news. This is only a story because the man was a homosexual. "Oh - he's gay - he is being persecuted - those dastardly Catholics!"

THe teacher knew he was applying to a religious school. He will get a job somewhere else if he is any good at teaching music. Why is this even an issue?
Exactly. The homosexual signed on and agreed to the rules and conditions of the working environment that he was employed in and then reacts with astonishment when the rules are appropriately and rightfully applied. The homosexual continues to rediscover that they can’t and won’t always get their way.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:48 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Is this an attempt to force religion to accept homosexuality?
Only in the minds of the perennially anti-gay crowd.

Quote:
Why is this even an issue?
If the school is getting tax breaks and taxpayer dollars, then it's an issue that everyone should at least think about.

Quote:
This is only a story because the man was a homosexual. "Oh - he's gay - he is being persecuted - those dastardly Catholics!"
If any group acts like it's being persecuted, it's the religious right. They constantly claim that their so-called values are under attack by the government. They portray themselves as victims 24 hours a day, but happily take taxpayer dollars to fund their religious beliefs.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:56 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If the school is getting tax breaks and taxpayer dollars, then it's an issue that everyone should at least think about.
I don't think so. In the many debates we have here on C-D re: gay rights, those in support bring up the fact that they aren't attempting to force their views on churches and/or religion. The argument seems to be to not allow religion to force their views on gays.

I believe that churches should be allowed to be able to enforce their views on homosexuality (or anything else they consider a sin). If gays want rights without the influence of religion, shouldn't religion be allowed rights without the influence of gays?

Old 03-03-2012, 10:59 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A St. Louis-area teacher was fired because he got married to his longtime partner. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch broke the story regarding Al Fischer, a music teacher at St. Ann Catholic School was fired from his job which he had held for years. The article states many parents are upset at the firing because of the "impressive work" put into the music program at the school.
Here's a look at Fischer's case.

Gay Teacher Fired for Getting Married - Yahoo! News
I have a friend who worked as a Art teacher at a private Anglican girl's highschool for 10 years (in Australia). She had lived with her female partner all that time - no problems. One of their daughters even attended the school. When domestic partnership registration became available about 2 years ago, she registered her relationship (not unlike registering your dog with the city council). There was a news article published in the local paper because they were one of the first couples to make use of it. They didn't know about the news article. The school fired her and her daughter was asked to leave. A lot of parents and students were upset because she was a great teacher. And yes, the school receives government funding.

Religion really sucks sometimes.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I believe that churches should be allowed to be able to enforce their views on homosexuality (or anything else they consider a sin). If gays want rights without the influence of religion, shouldn't religion be allowed rights without the influence of gays?
Sure, as long as they aren't using my tax dollars to fund their operations.

In my opinion, it's wrong that churches get tax breaks at all, but it's especially egregious when they take tax breaks but then discriminate against the very people who are funding their organization.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Fire someone for this yet cover up molesting and raping children. Strange priorities.
True. Hypocrisy at it's worst. But that's religion for you.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I fired an employee because she would not put out. My businesss, my rules. Don't like it go work somewhere else.
What a lovely fellow you are..... not.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The real losers in this sad event are the students who lost a fine teacher.

Whether the or not the Catholic school had a legal right to terminate this employee of many years does not concern me so much that it demonstrates how a prejudiced and discriminatory institution would rather 'cut off it's own nose to spite it's face' ...
^^^ This.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A St. Louis-area teacher was fired because he got married to his longtime partner. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch broke the story regarding Al Fischer, a music teacher at St. Ann Catholic School was fired from his job which he had held for years. The article states many parents are upset at the firing because of the "impressive work" put into the music program at the school.
Here's a look at Fischer's case.

Gay Teacher Fired for Getting Married - Yahoo! News
Simple. Lawsuit for wrongful termination.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Give me a break - if this teacher was a drunk driver - the church would have fired him also and it would never made the news. This is only a story because the man was a homosexual. "Oh - he's gay - he is being persecuted - those dastardly Catholics!"

THe teacher knew he was applying to a religious school. He will get a job somewhere else if he is any good at teaching music. Why is this even an issue?
So you equate a gay man marrying his partner with drunk drivers? I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies