Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should gay couples be forced to used a different word instead of marriage?
Yes. They should use a different word. 33 28.45%
No. They should not have to use a different word. 73 62.93%
The word they use doesn't matter. Their unions shouldn't be legal. 10 8.62%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 03:56 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times

Advertisements

Who thinks gay couples should find another word to use for their unions besides 'marriage?' Since the original definition of that word means between a man and a woman? Would people be more OK with same sex union if they used a different word? Examples: Same sex union, civil union, domestic partnership, homosexual marriage, etc.

I think a lot of people have a problem with them using the term marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 04:01 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Who thinks gay couples should find another word to use for their unions besides 'marriage?' Since the original definition of that word means between a man and a woman? Would people be more OK with same sex union if they used a different word? Examples: Same sex union, civil union, domestic partnership, homosexual marriage, etc.

I think a lot of people have a problem with them using the term marriage.

No I think alot of those people just have a problem with the existence of gay people in general.

Marraige is marriage. Everyone should be able to marry whoever they choose, as long as both parties are willing.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:07 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Hopefully, those who vote yes will give their reasoning. I voted No.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:07 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
No I think alot of those people just have a problem with the existence of gay people in general.

Marraige is marriage. Everyone should be able to marry whoever they choose, as long as both parties are willing.
That's what I'm saying 'marriage is marriage' is not really true. A horse is not a cow, but they are both animals, you know. Marriage already has a definition, so shouldn't they picks another word?

But I see what you're saying, that those people mostly have a problem with gay in general that's why I gave them an option too. LOL.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:08 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
A word's a word. I don't see the problem with the term "gay marriage."

Old 03-04-2012, 04:10 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
No. Expanding the definition to include same-sex couples far more practical than creating a new term, re-writing laws/policies to include the new term and more importantly-make sure "unions" are recognized. Devoting time, money and resources to appease homophobes is ridiculous.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:13 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
That's what I'm saying 'marriage is marriage' is not really true. A horse is not a cow, but they are both animals, you know. Marriage already has a definition, so shouldn't they picks another word?
I believe marriage is marriage no matter who it involves, as long as it involves 2 willing partners.

True, a horse is not a cow, but a man is still a man regardless of his sexual preference.

If you want to dehumanize people for being gay, then that's your deal.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:17 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
I think people should worry about themselves and mind their own business.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:18 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
I voted No as well. Why should gay people be treated any different than straight people? If they had an alternative word for 'marriage' it would simply ostracise them even further. Equal rights and equal responsibilities for everyone should be the ideal, not pigeon holing people into little boxes.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:21 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Homophobes don't even want same-sex couples to live under the same roof, let alone exist. Come on.

I voted different word. What's wrong with the word "registered domestic partnership" or "civil union?" I think that should be extended to ALL people who want to make their unions legal. Most of us grew up with same-sex pairings in a house somewhere in the neighborhood and DIDN'T CARE. Look at the somewhat dark and iconic movie "American Beauty," circa 1999. The guy next door used the term "partner," throwing off the ex-Marine neighbor who thought they were in business together! That was hilarious.

Then, let the religious institutions, that want to, issue "marriage certificates." It's kind of like a "baptism" or "bar-mitzvah" - only valid for religious purposes and not for political purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies