U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 11:22 PM

11,531 posts, read 9,561,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Forget about back pain. Rush Limbaugh has become a carbuncle on the Republican Party's ass. He's managed to alienate half the population in the name of republicans. 90% of women use some type of birth control. Now all the Republican players are scrambling for damage control. I'm sure the "powers that be" are kicking his ass as we speak. One more thing to worry about during an election year. Republicans don't need his opinion at this point.
Ironic, considering that chickenhawk Limbaugh got a Vietnam deferment for a pimple on his fat ass
Rate this post positively

Old 03-06-2012, 11:34 PM

10,942 posts, read 9,477,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You do agree, though, that it never would have happened if he didn't have severe back pain (and an unsuccessful back surgery)?
No, I don't agree because we don't know that. Maybe it would have happened regardless of his so-called "severe" back pain. I don't even know what proof there is that any back surgery he had was "unsuccessful" - other than the fact that he said it was, and now you're saying it was.

You can't presume that Rush would never have broken the law if he hadn't had severe back pain.

I have pain. Every day. I have no prescription and I also don't have a housekeeper that I can send out to buy my drugs off the street. So, I make do with over-the-counter stuff - Advil, Ibuproprin, etc.

Should I be able to break the law and acquire these drugs illegally because I say that I hurt?

Old 03-07-2012, 12:58 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,852,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
There is also the aspect of bullying, where a callous, powerful lout with a national radio network uses it to slander and belittle a student. The man has no common decency! On the other hand, I say "thank you" to President Obama for calling the girl to try to help her recover. As far as UNC, who knows? They may be stuck with contractual obligations . . .
You know the "fast and furious" scandal (this administration allowing guns from America to cross into Mexico to drug cartels) resulted in a Border Patrol agent being shot and killed by these very weapons. The president never called the family of this Border Patrol agent to express his condolences as a result of this terrible tragedy and boneheaded scandal.

Yet he felt the need to call a 30 year old woman who voluntarily went before Congress???

Old 03-07-2012, 03:30 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,083,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Be glad you can laugh about it. I've had a few episodes of acute back pain and it's not "funny" at all.
That hateful man gets no sympathy from me. Would I care if hitler had back problems? No I would not. So I don't care if rush does either.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:59 AM

19,777 posts, read 12,807,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Except that the black guy in the White House helped pass that regulation in 2009 to be effective in October of 2011.

So ask yourself why this became an issue in Feb. of 2012 and then get back to us.
You clearly missed the point and I was wrong when I previously stated that 23 states already passed the same mandate. It's 28 states -- some have no religious exemption.
Quote:
Conservatives are seeking a way to politically unite Republican voters around a social issue and portray the regulation as a big government intrusion into religious liberties. In reality, the mandate is modeled on existing rules in six states, exempts houses of worship and other religious nonprofits that primarily employ and serve people of faith, and offers employers a transitional period of one year to determine how best to comply with the rule.
Many Catholic Universities, Hospitals Already Cover Contraception In Their Health Insurance Plans | ThinkProgress

Last edited by MTAtech; 03-07-2012 at 05:16 AM..

Old 03-07-2012, 05:05 AM

24,629 posts, read 26,564,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I thought it was beneath the office of the President for Obama to get involved in this. Tasteless even.

For the White House to even acknowledge Limbaugh gives him power.

This is not the first time Obama has done something that seemed more fitting of a guidance counselor and less fitting of a sitting US President.

Just saying...please stop doing that Mr President, you are the leader of the free world and have more important things to do than to dedicate time worrying about this nonsense.
Wow, you have links to show that he's involved in the free market?
Seriously, I'd love to read them.

You do have something to base your comments on, right?

Old 03-07-2012, 05:17 AM

24,629 posts, read 26,564,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
So is Rush Limbaugh going the route of Glenn Beck, headed for irrelevancy? Or will he end up on Sirius with a contract like Howard Stern?

Anyone who is clueless enough to think there is a "liberal media" should listen to a day of "free" entertainment on the AM dial.

Rush got his start by being put on Armed Forces Network with the explicit help of the Republican Party. He has spewed his toxic blend of vulgarity with their full blessing, and his opinions are in line with that party, and always have been.
And AFN says that they will keep him.
What military values does he espouse?

Petition seeks to oust Limbaugh from AFN radio - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times
A Pentagon spokesman says the military’s network will continue to air Rush Limbaugh’s radio program. George Little says the American Forces Network offers a wide range of programming to reflect listeners’ interests and he is unaware of any plans to review that decision.

Yep, lots of misogyny in the military that reflect interests.

The comments are pretty good.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:24 AM

5,369 posts, read 4,987,412 times
Default Rush Update - Maher defends Rush apology

Bill Maher tweeted TUESDAY, "Hate to defend #RushLimbaugh but he apologized, liberals looking bad not accepting. Also hate intimidation by sponsor pullout." (Source: Twitter)

Rush picked up at one new advertiser, "sugar daddy" dating site Seeking Arrangements. (Source: All Access)

RUSH, the band, which sent him a cease-and-desist letter demanding that the show stop using their music as bumper music, claiming that the show is "essentially a political broadcast" and saying that such use is copyright infringement. Former Genesis lead singer Peter Gabriel, after learning that his song "Sledgehammer" was played during Limbaugh's rant, a spokesperson for Gabriel released the following statement: "Peter was appalled to learn that his music was linked to Rush Limbaugh's extraordinary attack on Sandra Fluke. It is obvious from anyone that knows Peter's work that he would never approve such a use. He has asked his representatives to make sure his music is withdrawn and especially from these unfair aggressive and ignorant comments." (source: Billboard Magazine)

2 small stations have dropped Limbaugh and UNC (UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA) has threatened to pull its sports broadcasts from Clear Channel due to Limbaugh's presence on the same station. (source: All Access)

Last edited by plannine; 03-07-2012 at 05:51 AM..

Old 03-07-2012, 05:41 AM

13,169 posts, read 563,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Which one?
I don't know why you would be gleeful about a company doing badly. They might have to fire some conservatives.
Then you ought not be gleeful about Rush, either. He's a company (EIB). Double standard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
If he had come on the air the next day and offered a simple apology, he would be fine and undamaged now.
Highly unlikely, considering the hatred that the left has for him. They're constantly waiting to see what they can pounce on him for, like vultures on the sidelines...waiting...watching...any excuse will do for them.

By the way, thanks for that list. I was considering of using some of those companies to place an order, and planned to get an auto insurance quote from two of them. I'll skip all that, and will let them know the reason.

I don't particularly care what anyone says on the air or otherwise, but I do care that the left doesn't want to allow the FREE exercise of speech and expression of opinion. That I do care about, and I care that companies which we patronize fold to that kind of hateful pressure.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:59 AM

5,036 posts, read 4,780,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Oh, so NOW Bill Maher is your hero.

Go figure. LOL
No, never. But as vile and intolerant as he can be, even he is right occasionally. And he is right here. Just goes to show you how intolerant, hateful, and pathetic many of you liberals can be.

Perhaps will see a day when a liberal says something vile, AGAIN, and liberals will work to shut him down due to the vile rhetoric......nah, never going to happen. This isnt even about what Rush said. Most of this outrage is overdone and phony. You think you have a chance to get him taken off the radio and you are doing all you can to try and make that happen. Sitting at home, firing off email after email, tweet after tweet, phone call after phone call. All to shut down the opposition. Little to do with what he said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.