Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 09:10 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But something really grates on me when a four-times-married drug addict lectures about morality, I guess.
That applies to a lot of politicians as well.

Anyway, I don't see the logic in this. UNC had nothing to do with the controversy, and yet people are "questioning" their relationship with 106.1? A local school having a sports program on that station is related to the controversy how? Is guilt by association back in vogue?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:12 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Women of today who villify Rush should love this one... after all, all these hypocritical women who scream about how independent they are are the first ones to roll over when a sugar daddy comes along

Because of what Rush said, I finally have respet for the man.... which is strange given the fact I despise his views on econmics

Old 03-06-2012, 09:18 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
They better do so! Their stock will skyrocket! Not that I'll be happy for 'em, but hey, it's called free enterprise, right?

Watching to see how many other companies that pulled their advertising from Rush see their stock plummet like the one has, and in such a few days.
Your right as ususal.

And what might their marketing strategy be, Come to "SUGAR DADDY" AND GET YOURSELF QUITE A RUSH?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:19 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Here are the 35 sponsors who have pulled out as of today.
Notice that the list of sponsors who only advertise on local radio stations that broadcast Rush is growing. This is particularly damaging, as high frequency local advertising is the life blood of on-air radio stations.

Sleep Number, The Sleep Train, Quicken Loans, Legal Zoom, Citrix, Carbonite, ProFlowers, Tax Resolution, AOL, Bonobos, Sears, Allstate Insurance, Sensa, Bare Escentuals, Vitacost, Hadeed Carpet, Thompson Creek Windows, PolyCom, Service Magic, AccuQuote Life Insurance, Geico, John Deere, Stamps.com, St. Vincent’s Medical Center, Bethesda Sedation Dentistry, Cascades Dental, Philadelphia Orchestra, Goodwill Industries, Heart & Body Extract, Netflix, Downeast Energy, Capitol One, JCPenney, Matrix Direct,and Reputation Rhino.

In addition, J.C. Penney, which does not advertise on Rush nationally, directed all stores that are sponsoring Rush from their local ad budgets are to pull them off immediately. This directive is essentially local advertising, the stuff that local stations need most of all.

Since women are the main patrons of department stores, I expect more of them will follow Penney.

Remember that all this started only 3 days ago. As I noted earlier, these big boycotts always build. The rate of loss today was 12 sponsors. What will it be by the end of March? While it is very possible that some of the sponsors may come back, they won't return until the election is over. Retail business is notoriously shy and skittish when it comes to politics.

It will soon become a question of how long Clearchannel is willing to hold out. High listenership does not counter a steep drop in income. Clearchannel doesn't have to lose sponsors if they stick to the sponsor's directions not to place their ads in Rush's time slot, but then Rush's program becomes a profit loss center, with lots of listenership but no income generation. Paying Rush comes straight out of their corporate profits. If listeners turn off their radio after Rush is over, he becomes a big net loss to Clearchannel.

We all saw what happened to Glenn Beck on Fox News. Beck was losing money for Fox long before the boycott on him ever started, but when it did, his profitability to the network went from zero to minus zero, and Ailes gave him the boot. It was simply cheaper for Fox to pay off his contract and let him go than continue to keep him as a profit drain to the corporation.

Make no mistake, folks. These affairs are always dictated by money, period. As soon as Limbaugh becomes a financial liability, he's gone. It doesn't matter a lick to Clearchannel Communications if Rush was wrong or right.

Limbaugh blew it when he kept up his his personal insults and attacks for 3 days, then issued a semi-apology over the internet, where he tried to blame his bad behavior on outrage toward the Democrats. The only way to make something like this go away is to apologize quickly, with no excuses or qualifications, in a very public manner. If he had come on the air the next day and offered a simple apology, he would be fine and undamaged now.

We all saw what happened to Mark Sanford, former Governor of S. Carolina. If he had immediately apologized openly, his wife would have divorced him anyway, but he might have been able to retain his office, or could have possibly made a comeback. Other men have cheated on their wives and didn't lose their job. But even though Sanford apologized until his face fell off later, he waited to long and waffled too much with his first apology. The disgust and anger toward him became too much for him to overcome.
Rush did exactly the same, and it has ruined him.

Last edited by banjomike; 03-06-2012 at 09:49 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 09:20 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Women of today who villify Rush should love this one... after all, all these hypocritical women who scream about how independent they are are the first ones to roll over when a sugar daddy comes along

Because of what Rush said, I finally have respet for the man.... which is strange given the fact I despise his views on econmics
You didn't know that he was a pig who hated women before this?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:20 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I would fire whoever made that stupid decision to pull their advertising out of Limbaugh's show. Some looney left wing idiot that's drank to much Obama Kool Aid. And you would have to be a real idiot to do that. Check out the demographics for both income and education.

Rushlimbaugh.com Traffic and Demographic Statistics by Quantcast

For income with 100 being average.

$0-50k 75
$50-100k 120
$100-150k 133
$150k+ 136

For eduction with 100 being average

No College 68
College 120
Grad School 144

Maybe they can head over to MTV and buy their advertising?
So out of a listening audience of 10M they surveyed 300 people and your hanging you rhat on that, even assuming that number is correct it's hard to believe even 144 grad school would listen to him.

It's going to be interesting how they pay that salary of $400M without any sponsors.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:22 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
You didn't know that he was a pig who hated women before this?
I knew that many leftist pigs hated women before this... I knew Rush was a economic pig.... who called out women who hated women before this

Sorry you want to send women back to the dark ages

Old 03-06-2012, 09:24 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
I knew that many leftist pigs hated women before this... I knew Rush was a economic pig.... who called out women who hated women before this

Sorry you want to send women back to the dark ages
I want to send women back to the dark ages? I was unaware I wanted to do this.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Yep, and one of those advertisers has just seen their stock plummet 12 percent in this few of days!
Which one?
I don't know why you would be gleeful about a company doing badly. They might have to fire some conservatives.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:29 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Bitter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies