Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:05 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,785,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
>Why bother to train American workers when it's hundreds of times cheaper to manufacture items overseas?<

Fair question.

Selling to a market is taking from that market.
Employing in that same market is putting something back.
Taking from something and putting nothing back is called a parasite. Works both ways in referring to the welfare class or the corporate class.
So Apple really is one of those evil "takers" then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 04:17 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
American companies are in business to make money, PERIOD. Not to train workers or provide day care centers or provide health care benefits nor retirement benefits.

Why bother to train American workers when it's hundreds of times cheaper to manufacture items overseas and never be worried about the next union strike?
And here is your answer to why we have almost 10% unemployment in this country.

I'll bet you even have one of those Chinese made American flags hanging on your house.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:20 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Do you seriously think it should be the employers who provide job training? Or should it be up to the individual who needs to make a living to be trained for a job?
When it comes to the company's product, yeah, they should provide training. I've been with the same company for 34+ years and while I went to trade school to give me base to work upon but then they sent me to school for 3 months to learn the hardware and another 3 months to learn the software. That was abandoned years ago... there is no formal training that I know of anymore. I think it's short sighted (although it gives me job security) and hurts the company in the long run.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,810,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
When it comes to the company's product, yeah, they should provide training. I've been with the same company for 34+ years and while I went to trade school to give me base to work upon but then they sent me to school for 3 months to learn the hardware and another 3 months to learn the software. That was abandoned years ago... there is no formal training that I know of anymore. I think it's short sighted (although it gives me job security) and hurts the company in the long run.
I.T. workers are treated like commodities by upper management. I actually heard one bozo woman say to a bunch of soon to be outsourced employees that she was 'proud to lead them at this time' - LOL, lead them where - out the door?
They kill me how self-important they are. The results of their trading quality for quantity, is an inferior product. What made our technology great during the past century? - American ingenuity. There's a reason why America has been the greatest country in the world, but they have given up control of much of their technology, and and the poor quality that you see everywhere is the result.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:28 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I completely agree. There should be some training for inexperienced employees. These companies are training newbie foreigners to do these jobs so why not train an American without experience to do a specific job. Oh, wait. That's right....an American needs get paid at least $7.25 an hour. They are becoming such cheap skates that they don't want to pay more than $.10 an hour. In other words, companies don't want workers, they want slaves.

What's really bad is there are some companies that even ask for on-the-job experience even after the worker has invested in training. For example, medical coders often go through pretty rigorous training assuming they went to a not-for-profit community college. Yet, many can not find jobs because they don't have 2-5 years of work experience. Meanwhile, medical coding companies are training Indians with no experience to do the job and hiring them.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
If they are just going overseas to get workers who claim to have skills they don't then the company will not succeed. But if their getting pretrained workers then they will. The day of companies training a emplyeee from scatch in a technical field are long gone even in US workers.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:49 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
One thing that's being ignored is that in many of these fields, we're 10 years or more from having people that are truely productive. An entry level machinist right out of trade school is at best a break-even proposition, it takes 10 years or more of experience to really be proficient. Same thing in most fields...entry level employees are often a net drain on the company.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,121,826 times
From The New York Times:

"In a recent study, the Boston Consulting Group noted that, outside a few small cities that rely on the oil industry, there weren’t many places where manufacturing wages were going up and employers still couldn’t find enough workers. “Trying to hire high-skilled workers at rock-bottom rates,” the Boston Group study asserted, “is not a skills gap.” The study’s conclusion, however, was scarier. Many skilled workers have simply chosen to apply their skills elsewhere rather than work for less, and few young people choose to invest in training for jobs that pay fast-food wages."

Read the entire article here: Skills Don't Pay the Bills - NY Times

Old 11-30-2012, 09:42 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,121,826 times
Oh, and by the way, the Chinese prefer products made in America.

Made in America Has A New Ring - Forbes

Even they know most products made in China are crap.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:55 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,108,042 times
Contrary to popular belief I think a lot of people could learn a lot of jobs through formal apprenticeships out of high school. For most fields college/grad school is a very inefficient way of job training and most companies do have to train employees becsuse their degrees provide only a theoretical base at best. As were seeing now more and more degrees are having a negative ROI. Most the high paying jobs out of college actually require certifications and professional licenses as well but acquiring them is inefficent through the collegiate system.

Also, its true that most college graduates are richer to begin with and are likely to have better connections and family support. In addition, the data for the unemployment rates and salary premiums by each degree is often decades old and cherry picked. In fact, many of the companies conducting these studies have a huge conflict of interest (i.e. sallie mae, universities).

Im a college grad and make a fair bit of money but the student loans are killing me. So I may show up high on the salary charts but my actual net take home isnt all that impressive. Also confounding the problem is my salary is partially due to location, which is one of the most metros in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies