Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 02:07 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Maybe Ron Paul can live with nuclear Iran, I can't. I hear a nuclear device can set my ass on fire. It can get quite uncomfortable...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 02:20 PM

74 posts, read 52,708 times
Default We can live with a nuclear Iran.

I don't think we could "live", but we and/or others could, and most likely will, die.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:26 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Quote:
All that needs to be done is look at history. We said we couldn't live with a nuclear Russia, China, Pakistan, India, etc.

We always say we can't live with, then we live with.

Its the Arabs that don't want Iran to have a nuclear weapon, let them deal with it.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:29 PM

136 posts, read 193,426 times
Default Obama DOD: Iranian regime missile will have US in range by 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoPlayer17 View Post
I don't think we could "live", but we and/or others could, and most likely will, die.

Obama's DOD:
"Iran could probably develop and test an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of reaching the United States by 2015"
Iranian missile may be able to hit U.S. by 2015 | Reuters
And the Iranian regime has already designed a nuclear-capable warhead to fit its missiles, according to the International Atomic Energy Agency (the UN "watchdog").

Old 03-05-2012, 02:38 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,237,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm not up on the half life of various radioactive isotopes, but I do know that they vary very dramatically, and that the materials used in modern weapons differ from those used in the original H-bombs dropped on Japan.

Sorry Roy, but I think he's got a point. I don't know if we're talking 2k years, but it would be quite different than Hiroshima.
Just when were "H" bombs dropped on Japan?

Old 03-05-2012, 02:40 PM

25,842 posts, read 16,521,023 times
Quote:
It's not our problem. Let someone else deal with it.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:42 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,935,966 times
Quote:
We Can Live With a Nuclear Iran
Can Israel?

I don't believe for one minute you'd choose Paul over obama.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:49 PM

136 posts, read 193,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It's not our problem. Let someone else deal with it.
"It's not our problem"?????
President Obama just today recited a list of critical reasons which make a nuclear weaponized radical, terror-supporting regime a vital threat to US interests.
And he didn't even mention the threat described in post #14.

Why do you want to keep your head in the sand. Why do you ignore reality no matter how mant times its explained to you???

Old 03-05-2012, 03:00 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
I believe we're going to have to. We have neither the stomach, nor the treasure, to do what it would take to truly keep them from obtaining nuclear power.
Iran has had nuclear power since the late 1960s when the US built a test reactor at the University of Tehran (which is still in operation today).

You apparently cannot discern the difference between nuclear energy and nuclear weapons.

Correcting ignorance...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm not up on the half life of various radioactive isotopes, but I do know that they vary very dramatically, and that the materials used in modern weapons differ from those used in the original H-bombs dropped on Japan.
You ought to quite while you're ahead.

As...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Just when were "H" bombs dropped on Japan?
...correctly pointed out.

An "H-Bomb" is an "hydrogen bomb" aka "thermonuclear" or "fission-fusion" and functions primarily by fusing hydrogen into helium.

Note that helium is not radioactive.

As far as "...the materials used in modern weapons differ...", that has to be the most absurd comment I've ever heard on the internet.

To produce a nuclear weapon, you need either highly-enriched uranium (90+%) or weapons grade plutonium (93%-97% Pu239 and 3%-7% Pu240).

Those are the only fissile materials currently available.

It is not presently possible to develop a thermonuclear device using only HEU; you must use plutonium.

"Fat Man" used plutonium (spherical implosion) and "Little Boy" used HEU (single-gun). Although both weapons were intended to yield 20 kt, Little Boy only yielded 8-10 kt and Fat Man 14-16 kt. That was due primarily to PBX.

Correcting appalling ignorance...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Explorer View Post
"Iran could probably develop and test an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of reaching the United States by 2015"
"...could probably...?"

It would be impossible to find weasel words that are more weasly than that.

Okay, so Iran has an ICBM 3 years from (could-probably). Now what?

What is Iran going to put on it? An hand grenade? A 250-pound bomb? A 1,000 pound bomb? Iran is going to spend $Millions to deliver a $300 conventional bomb to the US? That makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Explorer View Post
And the Iranian regime has already designed a nuclear-capable warhead to fit its missiles, according to the International Atomic Energy Agency (the UN "watchdog").
The IAEA never said that.

Iran does not have plutonium, ergo the only fissile material they could use would be HEU quod erat demonstrandum,

So, Mr. Wizard, impress us all with your extraordinary knowledge and insight and tell us:

1] the fissile material used;

2] the yield of the weapon; and

3] the method of assembly.

Laughing at the superior intellect...

Mircea

Old 03-05-2012, 03:02 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,334 times
I am more worried about OUR OWN government than Iran.

I don't understand why people fear Iran. When was the last time they attacked anyone?

Iran does not have the power our government has to threat our freedom and take away our rights and step all over the Constitution.

Patriot Act, NDAA...to name a few. I don't remember Iran (nor any other foreign countries) signing and passing those in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies