Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 02:04 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I believe we can.
Iran goes around the world and to the UN talking like Hitler everywhere and you think THAT is the kind of leader we leave with a nuke?

You have a differen't perception than I do about what is OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 02:39 PM

136 posts, read 193,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Egypt was beating the crap out of Israel. I know, because in 1984 I went to Egypt to train the Egyptian army and I spent 2 weeks in classroom breaking down every aspect of the Yom Kippur War, and then we into the field and spent 2 weeks in the classroom and in the field, and then 2 weeks teaching the actual war as it happened.

(I taught the Egyptians how to prevent that from ever happening again).

Once the ADA shield was down, Israeli aircraft could now run ground attack on Egyptian anti-armor units without getting blown out of the sky, and once the anti-armor units started taking damage, the battle ended up as a draw.

Militarily...

Mircea
You say "the battle ended up in a drawer???? At the end of the war the Israeli army had crossed the Suez Canal and was advancing on Cairo. The main fighting force of the Egyptian military, the Egyptian Third Army was surrounded and about to be destroyed:
"By the end of the war, the Israelis had advanced to positions some 101 kilometers from Egypt's capital, Cairo, and occupied 1,600 square kilometers west of the Suez Canal.[147] They had also cut the Cairo-Suez road and encircled the bulk of Egypt's Third Army. The Israelis had also taken many prisoners after Egyptian soldiers, including many officers, began surrendering in masses towards the end of the war.[148] The Egyptians held a narrow strip on the east bank of the canal, occupying some 1,200 square kilometers of the Sinai.[149] One source estimated that the Egyptians had 70,000 men, 720 tanks and 994 artillery pieces on the east bank of the canal.[150] However, between 30,000 to 45,000 of them were now encircled by the Israelis.["
Yom Kippur War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I repeat, THE EGYPTIAN GOVERNMENT PLEADED FOR A CEASE-FIRE BECAUSE THE EGYPTIAN ARMY WAS BEING BEATEN TO A PULP. Not because of "nuclear blackmail".

Oh, out of curiousity, on whose orders were you training the Egyptian military in how to better battle Israel? And why in 1984 - that is after the peace treaty was signed.
Who and what are you?

Old 03-06-2012, 03:26 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Iran goes around the world and to the UN talking like Hitler everywhere and you think THAT is the kind of leader we leave with a nuke?
Perhaps not... so.... what does that look like? Talk is cheap, what should America do?

H

Old 03-06-2012, 07:36 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Perhaps not... so.... what does that look like? Talk is cheap, what should America do?

H
Iran was fighting a proxy war in Afghanistan, through Hamas and in Iraq and more against us.
I think they are a real threat that should not be treated softly.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 PM

what - does - that - look - like - ?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:01 PM

It's not that hard a question... is it?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:03 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,510 times
America should encourage Israel to hurry up and do what wisdom dictates that they inevitably must do. We must stand by their right to exist and be as no-nonsense as they historically have been.

It's called survival. God bless 'em~

Old 03-06-2012, 09:20 PM

what - does - that - look - like - ?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:50 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Explorer View Post
You say "the battle ended up in a drawer?
No, a draw. Egypt got what they wanted.

I got my info from Carlisle Barracks, not Pukipedia.

There's a couple of unclassified monographs floating around on the internet you can read. The best one is an actual breakdown of forces and war-fighting styles.

That's the one that led to a total panic in the US military when it was realized that the "Arab armies" fought like the US and Brits and the Israelis fought like the Soviets (sort of). The end result was a shift away from triangular formations to the 4x format (4 platoons instead of 3, 4 companies instead of 3 etc etc) and led to Airland Battle 2000. I edited and helped write a lot of the drafts for that, which is one reason I ended up in Egypt.

Quote:
Not because of "nuclear blackmail".
No, because of nuclear blackmail when Golda Meier threatened Nixon and Kissinger that Israel would go nuclear to keep from losing the war that they were losing.

Quote:
Oh, out of curiousity, on whose orders were you training the Egyptian military in how to better battle Israel?
President Ronald Reagan.

Quote:
And why in 1984 - that is after the peace treaty was signed.
Asking "Why?" wasn't actually part of my job description. I went where ever my bosses told me to go. If they tell me to go to the NTSC, then that's what I do, and if they tell me to go to Egypt, then that's what I do. LTG Morelli was my boss when he signed me for the Egypt thing. Then he retired because he had cancer, and then he died before I got back to tell him what great fun it was and that a good time was had by all.

That was a joke. He was a kid with 18 years and an MP at the Battle of the Bulge, got out, got a degree on the GI Bill, came back in as an officer, and then was in the Korean War (through the winter), and then 3 tours in Vietnam.

Quote:
Who and what are you?
When I was a kid, I always wanted to grow up and be a disabled vet.

Now I are one.

Militarily...

Mircea

Old 03-06-2012, 10:04 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
Uh uh. Who says so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies