Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:36 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times

Advertisements

From Paul Pillar, Washington Monthly:

The Washington Monthly - The Magazine - We Can Live with a Nuclear Iran
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I believe we can.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:51 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I believe we can.
I believe we're going to have to. We have neither the stomach, nor the treasure, to do what it would take to truly keep them from obtaining nuclear power.

This is about keeping the balance of power in the Middle East with the Saudis and Israel, not about our nation's safety.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:43 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
After reading this rather lengthy treatise I have to think that Pillar along with many others feel that we have no choice but to live with them. However, I wonder if his stated reasons aren't the reason we have to. Forgetting the Iranian hostage crisis of over 30 years running he talks about the fact that Iranians would remain hostile the US for a long time to come.

I think his main reason for being forced to live with them hoping they won't use their new toys against us which they could do from the water since they have demonstrated that they can get our coast with warships and have rockets that can reach any part of the US if they can get close enough. Yes, I realize that we didn't stop those ships, and could have, but they may not know that.

I see Pillar speaking as if we didn't have the military power we once had, before Obama started cutting it back, so we can't take a chance with Iran. I don't think a lack of military power is any reason for us to back off, but I do hope that something other than war can be used. However, how much have all the previous peaceful attempts caused them to slow down? Since all the methods up to now haven't worked I certainly do think that they are using that fear of what the future after a war may hold as their main weapon.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,900,516 times
I wish that no one had nukes. Take Israel, and their secrets for example. They think they are so special. I fear Iran less than I fear the Binyamin gang. Ol Neti won't shut his trap. He's a mental case.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:08 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,416 times
I wish Iran had nukes already. So it would force Israel to finally act like a civilized state instead of constantly getting us into wars.

Israel is the problem. They are no friend, they are a parasite sucking out all of our blood. Americans would easily understand this were it not for AIPAC's hold on our corrupt politicians.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:08 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
No one really believes that the same week that Iran puts a nuke together that they are going to scream "death to the Israeli pig dog's" and blow half the Middle East to smithereens and leave the other half a radioactive mess for the next 2,000 years. Do they? I mean... if you are the class bully do you really want your favorite punk pushover (the one who is always good for lunch money) going to martial arts training after school? There is zero precedent of a nuclear weapon being used offensively in the world. When a Middle Eastern country wanted to give the U.S. a black eye they didn't need to smuggle a dirty bomb into Penn Station... four jet planes full of aviation kerosene (20 kiloton yield?) did very nicely thank you very much. Even to this American the rhetoric against Iran is hollow. It is hard not to suppose that the U.S. does not really want to face a nuclear armed Iran when we are forced to consider their oil reserves in an avaricious light.

H

Old 03-05-2012, 01:17 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
No one really believes that the same week that Iran puts a nuke together that they are going to scream "death to the Israeli pig dog's" and blow half the Middle East to smithereens and leave the other half a radioactive mess for the next 2,000 years. Do they? I mean... if you are the class bully do you really want your favorite punk pushover (the one who is always good for lunch money) going to martial arts training after school? There is zero precedent of a nuclear weapon being used offensively in the world. When a Middle Eastern country wanted to give the U.S. a black eye they didn't need to smuggle a dirty bomb into Penn Station... four jet planes full of aviation kerosene (20 kiloton yield?) did very nicely thank you very much. Even to this American the rhetoric against Iran is hollow. It is hard not to suppose that the U.S. does not really want to face a nuclear armed Iran when we are forced to consider their oil reserves in an avaricious light.

H
I find a number of problems in your post. Of course, nuclear weapons were used in an offensive attack, twice in Japan by the US, and of course those two city cites are inhabited today and very modern, at that. It was only a little over 60 years ago and those sites are re-inhabited by thriving cities. I wonder how they did away with all that radioactivity so fast. 2000 years???

Maybe you need to look at some truth about all these things that didn't come from a far left text.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:20 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
I wish Iran had nukes already. So it would force Israel to finally act like a civilized state instead of constantly getting us into wars.

Israel is the problem. They are no friend, they are a parasite sucking out all of our blood. Americans would easily understand this were it not for AIPAC's hold on our corrupt politicians.
LOL... so clueless...

Old 03-05-2012, 01:23 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I find a number of problems in your post. Of course, nuclear weapons were used in an offensive attack, twice in Japan by the US, and of course those two city cites are inhabited today and very modern, at that. It was only a little over 60 years ago and those sites are re-inhabited by thriving cities. I wonder how they did away with all that radioactivity so fast. 2000 years???

Maybe you need to look at some truth about all these things that didn't come from a far left text.
I'm not up on the half life of various radioactive isotopes, but I do know that they vary very dramatically, and that the materials used in modern weapons differ from those used in the original H-bombs dropped on Japan.

Sorry Roy, but I think he's got a point. I don't know if we're talking 2k years, but it would be quite different than Hiroshima.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies