Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:01 PM

256 posts, read 206,329 times

Advertisements

Residents here were all for balancing Ohio's budget. They didn't expect that to mean their town would cease to exist.

This small village of low-slung houses and squeaky swing sets in western Ohio's farm country has already laid off its part-time police officer and decided not to replace its maintenance worker, who recently retired. To save cash, Mayor William Rolston will propose Monday that the town turn off the street lights, and that Uniopolis disincorporate after more than a century in existence.
Around the state, police departments have laid off staff — in some cases, half of the officers. Police will no longer respond in person to theft calls if there are no witnesses, said Jay McDonald, head of the Fraternal Order of Police. About 166 school districts are projected to run deficits by 2014; many are scrambling to come up with cash by selling space for cellphone towers and charging students hundreds of dollars to participate in sports or extracurricular activities. The cuts came at the same time federal stimulus funding for schools ran out, dealing a double whammy for many communities.

In the western part of the state, a Republican stronghold where forgotten barns with peeling paint sit atop flat fields, many who supported Kasich say they didn't expect the cuts would reach their small hamlets. Uniopolis voted for Kasich by a margin of more than 2 to 1.

State budget cuts hit small-town Ohio - latimes.com

I never get why these "let's cut all government" types don't have any foresight. They're all for it until the hammer hits them, until it's their police officers and teachers being layed off. Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 01:05 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,122,263 times
Yup, the American people are starting to pay for the progressive liberal practices of the past couple of decades....

Old 03-05-2012, 01:29 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,181,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Yup, the American people are starting to pay for the progressive liberal practices of the past couple of decades....
Are you on drugs or something? The right wing policies are destroying this country. At some point in time we are going to have to stop this madness and begin to undo the damage you idiots have caused.

FYI, if you want smaller government this is the result. Roads don't fix themself, police, firemen, rescue squads and teachers require pay checks. This is a working example of what smaller government means.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:55 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,540,687 times
Well, these people are getting a dose of personal responsibility. Why aren't they forming volunteer police and fire groups? Why aren't people volunteering their time and money to help the kids in school? Why aren't people volunteering to fix the roads and maintain their town for free?

Old 03-05-2012, 02:07 PM

16,935 posts, read 12,485,103 times
Anyone else see the irony here?

Cut cut cut cut, but I dont mean me.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:12 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,388,233 times
Quote:
Ohio is primarily Republican and has been for years, Brainiac.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:17 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,080,386 times
Quote:
Lol... yeah... "Liberal" policies of law enforcement & public school

Old 03-05-2012, 03:52 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,819,772 times
What liberals don't realize is that their policies are what forces these cuts in the government. The reason republicans or libertarians look like the bad guys is because they are the only people with enough brains to realize you can't just spend more money to fix budgeting problems.

It's about as smart as the guy down the street getting a new credit card to make payments on his maxed out card.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:59 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,220,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanguy View Post
Residents here were all for balancing Ohio's budget. They didn't expect that to mean their town would cease to exist.

This small village of low-slung houses and squeaky swing sets in western Ohio's farm country has already laid off its part-time police officer and decided not to replace its maintenance worker, who recently retired. To save cash, Mayor William Rolston will propose Monday that the town turn off the street lights, and that Uniopolis disincorporate after more than a century in existence.
Around the state, police departments have laid off staff — in some cases, half of the officers. Police will no longer respond in person to theft calls if there are no witnesses, said Jay McDonald, head of the Fraternal Order of Police. About 166 school districts are projected to run deficits by 2014; many are scrambling to come up with cash by selling space for cellphone towers and charging students hundreds of dollars to participate in sports or extracurricular activities. The cuts came at the same time federal stimulus funding for schools ran out, dealing a double whammy for many communities.

In the western part of the state, a Republican stronghold where forgotten barns with peeling paint sit atop flat fields, many who supported Kasich say they didn't expect the cuts would reach their small hamlets. Uniopolis voted for Kasich by a margin of more than 2 to 1.

State budget cuts hit small-town Ohio - latimes.com

I never get why these "let's cut all government" types don't have any foresight. They're all for it until the hammer hits them, until it's their police officers and teachers being layed off. Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it.
I'd LOVE to live in a place that didn't have government. The second I can manage to do so, I'll be moving to one.

What a shame if the cops aren't there to fill out the paperwork when a crime has been committed! Fire Departments used to be all volunteer. I'll be happy to take my trash to the dump, instead of paying the town $1.50 for every bag--which isn't covered by my $13,000 property taxes on my average-sized home. And we didn't have kids.

In a free country, we should have plenty of towns that offer freedom from local government--heaven knows, the Federal level steals 1/3 of my income to pay for constant war-making and other things I don't agree with.

It will be a Libertarian nation in just a few years, if only because the extreme abuses of modern government have brought us to the point of collapse.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:49 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,181,903 times
Somalia is a great place, hope you enjoy that no government environment you're after.

$13,000 a year in property taxes for a modest home in Exeter, NH????? Using Zillow it sure appears you're puffing a bit. I'm looking at homes worth $350,000 to $400,000 with a quarter to half that amount of property tax. You saying a $800,000 home in Exeter, NH is modest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I'd LOVE to live in a place that didn't have government. The second I can manage to do so, I'll be moving to one.

What a shame if the cops aren't there to fill out the paperwork when a crime has been committed! Fire Departments used to be all volunteer. I'll be happy to take my trash to the dump, instead of paying the town $1.50 for every bag--which isn't covered by my $13,000 property taxes on my average-sized home. And we didn't have kids.

In a free country, we should have plenty of towns that offer freedom from local government--heaven knows, the Federal level steals 1/3 of my income to pay for constant war-making and other things I don't agree with.

It will be a Libertarian nation in just a few years, if only because the extreme abuses of modern government have brought us to the point of collapse.

Last edited by buzzards27; 03-05-2012 at 05:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies