Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:45 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times

Advertisements

Those situtations, are not an indication, of American Homes. These stories are sensationalized because of viewing audiences, who are abducted, to these kinds of shows.

Every family will not fit into the status quo, there will be oddballs out there always, and that is why they make stories and series out of these cases.

I don't get it, because yes i am a clean freak, not obsessed, but very clean, and everything in its place, to me, it is just as easy to be clean as it is a slob.

People such as these, are an extreme to how far off the deepen path a person can and does go. And such extreme cases of being obsessed. in a bad way.

To me compulsive hoarding is more a issue of an underlying metnal illness. Some of the shows they air, are more the severe cases.

The problem is so many of these people who are obsessed with hoarding, do not feel that they have a problem.

Last edited by california-jewel; 03-05-2012 at 07:34 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 06:57 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
While I agree that hoarders are not lazy- they're mentally ill, in my belief- I have noticed some American towns are grungy, but that doesn't apply everywhere. I also think our cities are dirtier in general than those in Europe and other places.

I spent a lot of time in western Canada, and I observed that all the towns I saw and spent time in are cleaner and tidier by a degree than similar places where I live. Even the obviously poor townships were tidy, even if homes looked rundown and in need of repair, and all the public spaces were universally clean and garbage free.

For sure, B.C. has a much smaller population, and it's citizens often came recently from Britain and the former Empire, where tidiness has always been a social trait. But I also think a lot of American towns are indifferent to how messy they look.
Too bad, too; civic pride lessens petty crime, vandalism and the like, and always puts a town's good foot out for visitors and potential residents.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:09 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
They're on these shows BECAUSE they're crazy and or dirty. You don't see any reality shows on normal boring people who spend their weekends cleaning and doing laundry.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Americans are dirty?

I assume you've never used a squat and pee toilet in another country.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:21 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,498 times
Compulsive hoarding is a serious mental illness and that show Hoarders isn't representative of the majority of Americans. The show even states from the beginning that only a small subset of Americans have that mental illness. The producers also stated that they mainly target level 4-5 hoarders which is the worst of the worst and is a minority even among those who suffer from compulsive hoarding.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:33 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
People living with mounds of feces and bottles of urine are beyond lazy. Going deeply into debt and facing the prospect of losing your home, your kids, friends etc. is beyond lazy. Multiple dead pets in the house is beyond lazy.
Sorry, but you have to be a little off your rocker to live the way some of those folks do
This show is nothing but a disgusting abuse and victimization of seriously mentally ill people. I watched a couple of episodes and was just appalled that these people who are almost in need of residential incare are used in some sick attempt at entertainment.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:53 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
They're on these shows BECAUSE they're crazy and or dirty. You don't see any reality shows on normal boring people who spend their weekends cleaning and doing laundry.
Exactly, what a dumbass premise for a thread "why are Americans so dirty" when obviously the reason these people are on a TV show is they are atypical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
This show is nothing but a disgusting abuse and victimization of seriously mentally ill people.
How is it abuse? The ones I've seen they at least make an effort to have some sort of counselor and cleanup crew try to help out, which from the people on there isn't something they'd have the financial resource for otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydoc View Post
Rating these types of shows "Mediocre" is giving way too much credit, in my opinion.
Yup, if one is into seeing how the mentally ill behave and interact with others no need for the TV show just click on the chem trails thread in this forum. No commercials.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I think like shows such as jerry Springer it is popular with people who want to see someone worse than them or have a morbid sense of humor.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:05 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,550,563 times
To the original OP have you traveled the world and seen how other people live?

Hoarders need help, real mental help, they have issues and the majority of Americans as a whole do not live this way. We may at time fall behind on our laundry or housework but never, never to that extent and to judge us all on that show is injustice to us all.

How many restaurants that are dirty are owned and operated by foreigners? Quite a few....Hair and nail salons, again quite a few...so if I were you I would stop while I were ahead.

Don't throw stones unless your not guilty yourself!!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 08:07 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
People are nasty. After all, they descended from bacteria so what the heck do you expect?
Lol..."they". Aren't you a people too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies