Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does freedom of speech protect slander and libel?
No, slander and libel are not protected 23 88.46%
Yes, slander and libel are protected 1 3.85%
They are not protected but should be 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:48 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Roc, you seem to know as much about women as Rush does. Word of advice -- vet anything you say over the airwaves through a lawyer first.
He has a great attorney and an iron clad defense. It's true cuz I say it's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 10:06 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The point is that only slander by the Rushista's should be protected.
It is only slander if it is false. Everything Limbaugh said was true, therefore, it cannot be slander. A prostitute is someone who gets paid for sex. Just because the taxpayers are doing the paying instead of a "John" does not make it any less prostitution. Anyone who spends $3,000 on contraception is certainly someone who is sexually promiscuous, or someone who has "loose sexual morals." Therefore, what was said is both true and supported by her own statements before Congress.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It is only slander if it is false. Everything Limbaugh said was true, therefore, it cannot be slander. A prostitute is someone who gets paid for sex. Just because the taxpayers are doing the paying instead of a "John" does not make it any less prostitution. Anyone who spends $3,000 on contraception is certainly someone who is sexually promiscuous, or someone who has "loose sexual morals." Therefore, what was said is both true and supported by her own statements before Congress.
So why did he apologize, why did he say he was wrong?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:20 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Though I disagree with Flute on much of the substantive issues, your [and others] cockeyed, uninformed defense of calling her a slutt or prostitute is making it embarrasing to even be associated with the 'anti-Flute' position.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:20 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Obviously to stop the loss of his easily-pressured advertisers. Personally, I think he should be glad to be rid of them. I certainly will not be buying any of their products in the future, and I do not listen to Rush.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Obviously to stop the loss of his easily-pressured advertisers. Personally, I think he should be glad to be rid of them. I certainly will not be buying any of their products in the future, and I do not listen to Rush.
So Rush is lying when he said he sincerely feels bad for calling the woman those names? So Rush doesn't have the conviction or courage to stand up for what he believes in?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:24 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Because he completely underestimated the sh.tstorm he created. He thought a half-assed apology on his blog would make it go away. In reality, if this goes forward, he's just admitted guilt - notwithstanding the tortured logic of those of his remaining followers who think doubling down on stupid is the way to go.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:36 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
So Rush, or any other individual, calling this woman a derogatory name offends YOU?

This has nothing to do with YOU.

The faux outrage is absolutely stunning from you people.

Yes, it certainly offends me. Limbaugh, who is allegedly an adult male, chose to malign a young woman who had initially been denied her right to testify in front of a Congressional panel regarding the issue of women's health care. The panel was comprised of five MEN. That men still believe that it's their right to interfere with issues that pertain only to a woman and her physician is extremely insulting. That they would also try to turn it into a religious issue is positively medieval. Rush called this young woman a sl*t, called her a prostitute, and suggested that she tape any sexual acts that she might engage in for his viewing pleasure. As a woman, a wife and a mother, this issue has everything to do with me. The men who have chosen to defend Limbaugh simply illustrates the perverse nature of far too many males, who are clearly unable to see women as human beings who are every bit as deserving of respect and equality as men.
My outrage is quite real and certainly justified. The backlash against Limbaugh should be an indication that millions of women are offended,
and with good reason.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:39 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
If this were the case, the entire left wing of politics would be locked up for their slander and libel against Palin, Beck, Rush, etc.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:39 AM

19,621 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Believe it or not, my wife was offended that a 60 year old man was telling a 30 year old woman that she had to tape herself having sex and send it to him. Weird, I know.
It was funny. It was typical Rush humor. Maher has said much worse things about conservative women and women in general and he isn't kidding.

It's weird how people don't get dark humor and hyperbole anymore. Ever watch a comedy roast? Some of what they skewer is true but it's still funny.

Fluke should have responded to Rush with a good comeback, she's had plenty of time to think of some. It would make her look more mature and she might even hurt his ego if she could show that kind of strength. But she is not a strong person based on her words and behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies